Sherlock

Jaxom 1974

Spoiler

Weeeellll.....that was OK. Certainly felt like the last episode so maybe I'm trying to be positive about it. This season seems to favour getting under Sherlock's skin more than classic mysteries and I guess this episode succeeded with that. I'm glad they didn't feel the need to do anything drastic and just leave them at 221b forever more, continuing adventures. The same problems crop up, Eurus just has generic omnipotence that apparently doesn't need explaining, the mysteries don't hold up too well (Sherlock doesn't notice a complete lack of engine noise on the phone? They didn't look down the nearby well for the missing kid? A complex cypher tells us that.....she's upstairs?) but I can make my peace with that. Overall, a very solid show which dipped at the end but ultimately got me more excited to watch than almost any other show on since it began.

I had mixed feelings about the finale, it had some good scenes but also got too silly at times.

The scene with Sherlock and Watson jumping out of 221B Baker Street's exploding windows was possibly the stupidest thing I've seen in the show, even aside from them apparently being completely uninjured. The plane scenario also never seemed very plausible, although I suppose it's possible that Sherlock always knew that but was playing along with the game.

I thought the actress who played Euros put in an effective and creepy performance, and some of her 'experiments' did make for very tense scenes. I was less keen on some of her more superhuman powers, they told us she was an unparalleled manipulator but they didn't really show us that. The denouement felt like a bit of an anti-climax, and it did also seem unlikely that nobody ever found the boy in the well. I liked that they included Moriarty without needing to bring him back from the dead, although hopefully we've seen the last of him now.

I think Mary's over-sentimental farewell was meant to signal a final end. 

OK episode in that it provided some good, tense scenes for Sherlock, Watson, Mycroft and even Molly, and managed to generate a small twist around Redbeard.  But absolutely terrible in the suspension of disbelief required and the uncharacteristic naïveté by the characters. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It felt that way, but there will be a 5th season.

Not confirmed at all. As best I can gather, they have no idea and so left it in a place that could end things. I'd wager it'll be at least three years till we see another season, if at all.

17 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Not confirmed at all. As best I can gather, they have no idea and so left it in a place that could end things. I'd wager it'll be at least three years till we see another season, if at all.

That sounds like a statement that would have fit the end of series two.

The concept was fun in a "crystal maze" way but it was a great example of how nonsensical the show can be. Why did they continue playing the games when it was clear from round one that she wasn't following the rules herself? How is a grown man at risk in a filling well unless he can't swim? Did Mycroft cover up all records if his brother's death or did Sherlock never bother looking? Any direct fallout from the conversation with Molly? It's like Doctor Who where they hope the ride is good enough for you to forgive the silliness. It just about got away with it for me.

I was pleased that Moriarty wasn't just a pawn and that he probably triggered Euros or it was at least a symbiotic encounter.

Also given the emphasis on Euros' ability to manipulate it seemed like a shocking missed opportunity to not have a single scene where Watson was behaving under her control. I mean he had a text affair with her for several weeks and there was no end-game there? Spent most of the episode waiting for a Watson betrayal moment.

I guess I enjoy most of mycroft's moments.

I thought it was way better than last week's episode and a million times better than the season opener.

Spoiler

The whole idea that nobody bothered to check the well at the old family home seems a bit odd if a small child had just gone missing. Or are we supposed to believe Euros managed to secret the boy away from another location and then trow him in there without anyone noticing?
Plus if they kinda knew she was up to no good even before she burned the house down i'd have thought checking everywhere would have been a good idea.
And the thing with 5 mins with Moriarty....why not just lie about turning off the cameras & mics? She's in no position to change that unless she already had control over the place.

One thing I've really missed in recent episodes is that they lack and real detective work. You get minute flashes of it when Sherlock is working something out or they flash through a montage of small cases in like 30 secs, but nothing like the good detective stories the early seasons had. The concentration on the massive over-arching plot with Mary, Mycroft and Moriarty has kinda turned it into some sort of spy story rather than what it should have been. The "story of the week" idea we had in S1 & 2 worked much better I think.
A lot of series fall into this trap as well, they start off with quite varied stories each week but then get ahead of themselves and try to go for some massive far reaching, all encompassing plot and they loose the charm people started watching for. Same thing has happened to Dr Who as well I feel.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

That sounds like a statement that would have fit the end of series two.

Hide contents

How is a grown man at risk in a filling well unless he can't swim?

Spoiler

He was chained to the floor of the well. However the chains then inexplicably disappeared when the rope was thrown in to pull him out.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Hide contents

He was chained to the floor of the well. However the chains then inexplicably disappeared when the rope was thrown in to pull him out.

Spoiler

The rope was mainly symbolic. Sherlock probably used it to climb in the well and cut the chain.

2 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Hide contents

Yeah - I thought "he must be chained" but he happily climbed out once there was a rope hence my confusion. Sloppy from the show either way.

3 hours ago, Lordsteve666 said:

I thought it was way better than last week's episode and a million times better than the season opener.

Hide contents

The whole idea that nobody bothered to check the well at the old family home seems a bit odd if a small child had just gone missing. Or are we supposed to believe Euros managed to secret the boy away from another location and then trow him in there without anyone noticing?
Plus if they kinda knew she was up to no good even before she burned the house down i'd have thought checking everywhere would have been a good idea.
And the thing with 5 mins with Moriarty....why not just lie about turning off the cameras & mics? She's in no position to change that unless she already had control over the place.

One thing I've really missed in recent episodes is that they lack and real detective work. You get minute flashes of it when Sherlock is working something out or they flash through a montage of small cases in like 30 secs, but nothing like the good detective stories the early seasons had. The concentration on the massive over-arching plot with Mary, Mycroft and Moriarty has kinda turned it into some sort of spy story rather than what it should have been. The "story of the week" idea we had in S1 & 2 worked much better I think.
A lot of series fall into this trap as well, they start off with quite varied stories each week but then get ahead of themselves and try to go for some massive far reaching, all encompassing plot and they loose the charm people started watching for. Same thing has happened to Dr Who as well I feel.

A house with two child prodigies and neither could work something out - let alone their parents. It's always a hazard when having a show about a super detective that seems incapable of handling simple puzzles.

But it was a fun episode that was easy enough to follow.

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Do we all think, then, that this is it?

I suspect perception of this last series and willingness of the participants to continue will be the deciding factors...but the use of Mary's final message seemed to be the set up of what the show would be going forward, should it choose to do so.

Spoiler

I admit a brief moment of disbelief at the Moriarty arrival. Forgetting the shows penchant for looping back and distorting time...of course he was only appearing in a flashback...

The show succeeded in that I was on the edge of my seat trying to solve what the he'll was going on, however, it suffered from a shaky foundation...

Dreadful final episode.

This series is becoming borderline unwatchable.

I thought the first few seasons were passable at best, didn't really love any episode, but it was ok.

But as pointed out above, nowadays it's all about getting into Sherlock's psyche, getting under his skin, trying to make it more and more personal by including his entire family etc.

Zero enjoyment.

Archived