Goodkind 54: How to Revive a Dead Dick

Myshkin

I got the idea from hearing of a play on words during the initial 2003 invasion of Iraq, talking of areas by "non-Saddamized." But yes, a lot of literature could bear (maybe?) being SoTomized...or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't read ever anything of Terry Goodkind and also his namesake Terry Brooks. When I eventually read all my fantasy books on to read list (couple of years or so), should I go for them?

I first read that they have sold a lot of books (25m each) but saw that everybody complains about them. I found something similar (though with much divided opinion) for Wheel of Time, and then I absolutely loved it. So, is the situation similar here, or are they really that bad (from what I have read on reviews/articles, the best books of them are just average with the majority of books being from bad to worse)?

Haven't read ever anything of Terry Goodkind and also his namesake Terry Brooks. When I eventually read all my fantasy books on to read list (couple of years or so), should I go for them?

I first read that they have sold a lot of books (25m each) but saw that everybody complains about them. I found something similar (though with much divided opinion) for Wheel of Time, and then I absolutely loved it. So, is the situation similar here, or are they really that bad (from what I have read on reviews/articles, the best books of them are just average with the majority of books being from bad to worse)?

Despite having participated in several years worth of these threads I've never actually more than excerpts of Goodkind's writing so I'll let those who have suffered through his books answer that.

I have read half a dozen of Terry Brooks' books (although not his most famous Shannara series). I wouldn't say they were bad necessarily, but there are so many better books out there I wouldn't really recommend them. I'd say Running with the Demon was the best of those I read, it's a fairly good urban fantasy although the sequels weren't as good.

Just go to a used book store somewhere and pick up Wizard's First Rule and read through the first chapter or two in the store and make your own decision before buying.

And then report back to this thread with some of your favorite passages. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived