Did Tywin know? [Tyrion 5 spoilers]

Facha Martell

Assuming Young Griff is actually Aegon Targaryen, the presumed dead son of Rhaegar and heir to the Iron Throne...

When the corpses are presented before the Throne, did Tywin know that the dead kid wasn't Aegon?

Obviously Illyrio has something to do with this, and him and Varys work together...but knowing of the participation of Tywin in the plot would be a major plot twist.

As far as I know, Tywin had never met the targ children, and they were bloodied up pretty badly, so there was no way he could know for sure. But that didn't really matter to him because as long as the realm thought the targ line was dead, even a real targ would have trouble convincing people that he was genuine and not another Blackfyre pretender.

Tywin had known Rhaenys, but Aegon had been born after Tywin had left court, so no, Tywin wouldn't have known the child on sight.

Tywin probably believed he had had the real Aegon killed. After all, he would have send out searching parties, secretly, otherwise. Kebab Lannister was the man Tywin trusted the most, and Kevan did not doubt the word of his brother for quite some time.

• 3 months later...

I really am almost positive he had no knowledge. The mountain bashed their heads in right? So they would be unrecognizable. Also, you wouldn't want anyone with a possible claim alive and the former royal line usually has to be wiped from existence.

However, in my opinion, a major hole in the real Aegon story is the fact that Aegon's mother allowed one of her children to be smuggled out of the city and the other to be murdered.

• 1 month later...

I cannot comprehend that the books followed Dany from day 1 when there was a "better" Targ alive. I don't think you have a character who comes out of fire and returns dragons to earth, just to later introduce someone who is before her on the Targ line. In my opinion all logic points to Aegon not being real.

But hypothetically IF he is real and Tywin did know I cannot imagine him being the sort of person who just looked the other way and hoped the problem went away. He would have made tracking down and eliminating Aegon his priority.

From the beginning of the book Tywin is clear about his intentions. He is getting old and he has ONE goal that is of paramount importance to him and guides all his decisions. He wishes to establish his family as a Dynasty like the Targaryens were. Vyserys claimed that he had been hunted for a long time, we know Dany spoke about moving a lot fleeing the assassin's sent after them. Tywin I believe was the person most responsible for these assassins, though clearly Robert could have sent a few as well. Over the years they stopped thinking about the Targaryens. Yet even while she was away Tywin had his ears in the east and was vigilant about any attempt that Dany and her brother could make toward returning to Westeros. I have no doubt personally that if Varis hadn't told Robert about Dany marrying and then having a child then Tywin would have intervened. Which is probably why Varys didn't even try to hide it, it was pointless.

So no Tywin certainly didn't "know" about Aegon IF there even is anything to know. I am among those who believe Aegon is if not fake then of little importance and that he will die in a jiffy. Truth is I would be kinda be disappointed if he ends up actually DOING anything serious because of how late he appears. GRRM is the opposite of the classical fantasy writer who just pops things out of his hat all the time. Right now Aegon is just causing trouble, succesfully so. But if it continues he'll start getting too important for my taste.

I cannot comprehend that the books followed Dany from day 1 when there was a "better" Targ alive. I don't think you have a character who comes out of fire and returns dragons to earth, just to later introduce someone who is before her on the Targ line. In my opinion all logic points to Aegon not being real.

But hypothetically IF he is real and Tywin did know I cannot imagine him being the sort of person who just looked the other way and hoped the problem went away. He would have made tracking down and eliminating Aegon his priority.

Aegons idenity has got nothing to do with the fact he was introduced so late. He could still easily be real, and die shortly after taking the throne, for example.

I really am almost positive he had no knowledge. The mountain bashed their heads in right? So they would be unrecognizable. Also, you wouldn't want anyone with a possible claim alive and the former royal line usually has to be wiped from existence.

However, in my opinion, a major hole in the real Aegon story is the fact that Aegon's mother allowed one of her children to be smuggled out of the city and the other to be murdered.

Then I'll present a different scenario that makes more sense: Ellia Asked Varys to smuggle them to safety. She knows they losing the war and thing are getting desperate. She too weak and frail make a break for on her own with babies in tow, so pleading to the new spymaster is not a stretch request he most likely agree to do.

KL was prepared to handle a long siege like Stannis did in Storms End, Varys could have slip the whole family out then, but when Tywin showed up and Pycelle opened the gate to him, Varys knew he didn't have much have time, time enough to rescue one, maybe two. Aegon was a given, Rhaelle was too scared to come out from under her bed. So he had to make a run for it.

How is that for clearing the story :cool4:

Archived