How to re-read?

Malkorion

Think you just need to do more than one re-read. I would hate to take notes of what I'm reading.

I'm currently re-reading the books as well, this time on an e-Reader because the paperbacks are way too heavy to carry around. Also, the e-Reader allows me to mark whole paragraphs that I find noteworthy; it also allows me to write down comments which is a bit awkward because the e-Reader doesn't have a proper keyboard. I try to read slowly this time around and pay more attention to what's happening; it's not easy because I already know what's going to happen so some storylines are just boring (I always have to restrain myself from skipping Jon's POVs, or Arya's in ACoK - same with Bran's) and I don't care much for them. On the other hand, I have already discovered a lot of information that I simply didn't pick up on the first time around because I was too eager to read on and see where the story will go. When I'm done with a book, I go through my notes on the e-Reader and write everything down that comes to mind and/or come to this board to discuss an idea I had when reading.

Funny thing about re-reading is that, with all the information of what's to come, my approach to some characters has changed a lot. I like Sansa better than the first time around, I absolutely hate Jon (ok, that hasn't changed much, I never really liked him anyway, it just got worse and worse with every chapter I read), I'd like to cut some of Arya's POVs because they seem like fillers to me (also, I feel sorry for the poor girl... and I hate travelogues). I no longer believe every word a Stark says about a Lannister because it's just their point of view that the Lannisters are evil. Granted, they're not the greatest family around (meaning "fun to be around, likeable") but neither are the Starks. It's very interesting to see how views can change; when I first read the books years back, I thought that Jaime was pure evil - which gradually changed when I read his POVs, he became my favourite character after that. This time around, I know what's going to happen to him and it annoys the hell out of me that Ned Stark condemns Jaime just because he actually saved the bloody city by breaking his vow. I think Ned never really asked Jaime why he killed Aerys. Ned was like "Oh, he killed the king - bloody oathbreaker, that's so not honorable. He's evil." I didn't realize that the first time around. I do now and despise the Starks for their self-righteousness but that's another story.

I like Jamie, and I understand why you would hate the Starks for thinking so much of themselves and judging others. But I think Jamie also prejudge others, specially about what people thinks of him. When Ned sees Jamie had killed the Mad King, Jamie thinks nothing he would say would change Ned's mind about him (which I don't think is true, Brienne changed her mind about Jamie after he told her the true about Aerys). He does the same with the Blackfish, he thinks lots of things when they have their talk on the siege of Riverrun, but he doesn't say anything assuming the Blackfish wouldn't believe him.

Thank you to everyone for the great ideas on the "How To's" for more productive re-reads. I've re-read the series several times, and as others have said, have rather overloaded on information. Picking apart the threads, and the highlighting are what I'm going to try. I have a few theories I've beenkicking around, and this will help me with organization and substantiation - or disproving what I have thought.

Hi everyone I'm new to this I've read all ASoIaF and I feel like I missed some important bits out and not ready to join in any of the discussions because most my theories seem ummm far fetched if you like.

Jon, Bran, Arya, Tyrion and Jamie are my favourite characters I think I may have too many. I've read all of this thread but where is best to start what is the best subject to concentrate on?

Hi everyone I'm new to this I've read all ASoIaF and I feel like I missed some important bits out and not ready to join in any of the discussions because most my theories seem ummm far fetched if you like.

Jon, Bran, Arya, Tyrion and Jamie are my favourite characters I think I may have too many. I've read all of this thread but where is best to start what is the best subject to concentrate on?

It really just comes down to what you find most interesting. If you're planning on making a thread, you might want to do a quick search to see if anyone else has already done one on that subject/character, just in case (not that it necessarily means you can't do one, as well). For example, I want to do a Hound/Brienne re-read when I have the time, because I find their characters very interesting and strikingly similar in many ways. If you like Jaime, then you could do a re-reading on him as a whole, or him and Cersei, or him without Cersei. Just some ideas. Good luck deciding (I know it's hard).

Thank you, I think Jamie maybe a good starting point and I know this is not relating to this subject but what is everyones thought on the conversation between lady Dustin and the on greyjoy in winterfells crypt, it was something along the lines of when caitlyn sent Neds bones from KL to WF, MC was shut off so the impression I got was that Neds bones never reached WF??

Thank you, I think Jamie maybe a good starting point and I know this is not relating to this subject but what is everyones thought on the conversation between lady Dustin and the on greyjoy in winterfells crypt, it was something along the lines of when caitlyn sent Neds bones from KL to WF, MC was shut off so the impression I got was that Neds bones never reached WF??

That was my impression. Lady Dustin seemed to imply that Ned's bones had gotten as far as her hold (or were close to it) and she wasn't planning on letting them go any farther because of her anger and hurt at House Stark.

That was my impression. Lady Dustin seemed to imply that Ned's bones had gotten as far as her hold (or were close to it) and she wasn't planning on letting them go any farther because of her anger and hurt at House Stark.

She said if they were ever pulled up from the swamps the farthest they would get is barrowton so she could feed them to her dogs. I am thinking to much into that and need to let it go because Ned is dead dead.

• 2 weeks later...

The way that I was doing my first re-read of GoT, took a couple of months to take a break since I had just finished the series the first time when I started, is that I underlined anything that I noticed when I was reading. I used whatever color pen I had and kept underlining things. The prologue had a lot of underlining and the next couple of chapters. There are chapters where I highlight one sentence and that's it. Tyrion's POV chapters are usually the ones that I highlight the most. My favorite line is still the one about him looking like a king in the door way when Jon saw him at Winterfell. Still gives me goose-bumps when I think about it lol.

Excellent advice all around. I read the books mainly in iBooks, so I have the underlinings on all my devices already from my previous read. While reading the books in either hardback or paperback has its own advantages, it's an amazing thing to have the whole work with me all the time basically. And one great advantage is that it's easy so easy to search for a specific passage, character or word when it's digital. (Although the look of the series in the bookshelf must be majestic. I suppose there's a thread somewhere here where you've taken pictures of your shelf?)

I think I'll start rereading during the spring. Especially the POV-specific approach sounds alluring. How much, though, do you think such an approach leaves out elements that are integral to the characters and that are explicated in other POVs? That is, there are parts through which I raced so quickly that the memory has not started to fade, it's long gone. And the show with its differences has overtaken some things. I'm merely wondering whether I should have a fresh memory of the work as a whole before embarking on a POV-specific journey. Thoughts?

Since I personally haven't done any POV specific re-reads, I can't give you any advice. I'm reading slower now, gathering information on the Others, the Children of the Forest, Valyrian weapons, ship names, history of Westeros and Essos, Dragons, the Faceless Men, any conspiracies, Littlefinger & Varys... everything I am interested in.

Since I personally haven't done any POV specific re-reads, I can't give you any advice. I'm reading slower now, gathering information on the Others, the Children of the Forest, Valyrian weapons, ship names, history of Westeros and Essos, Dragons, the Faceless Men, any conspiracies, Littlefinger & Varys... everything I am interested in.

I think this is what I'll do, as well. Get on with the series and grab at what I find interesting. The merged reading order for A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons that AKladybird referred to above sounds like the thing I want to do when I get that far.

My initial idea is to work slower, too. Perhaps I'll deviate on occasion and read a character's POV further, then return to where I'm at with whichever book I'm working on. Or it would be mightily interesting to use the audiobooks for POV listening.

• 1 month later...

If you can't, or won't, write in the book itself, I'd suggest a large notebook. If it's big enough you can carve out little sections for the various topics you want to note (mine currently has sections for the wolves, Bran, Old Nan, the Others, Jon Snow w/ R+L=J, promise me, and NW conspiracy sub-sections, Sansa, Varys, Illyrio, Dragonlore, and prophecies).

Personally I am reading along with Davos' Fingers (if you guys are out there, me and my dad LOVE you!) They cover five chapters every two weeks, a great pace. I tend to read each chapter straight through in order to make solid connections and enjoy myself. I then go back and scan the chapter for significant text. I copy whatever I find interesting by hand and note the book & POV, just in case. But I generally find that writing the text out by hand helps me remember it very well. Then I can underline, highlight, make my own notes, whatever.

This was the only way I could figure to do a straight read through while keeping notes on multiple subjects organized.

How much, though, do you think such an approach leaves out elements that are integral to the characters and that are explicated in other POVs? quote]

A lot. Now, I also think the opposite is likely true - by reading each characters' arc without breaks you will probably see connections you missed before. But alot of my notes for a particular character are from a different character's POV. For instance I found some interesting dragonlore in a Bran chapter. Remember that there are several characters who either have prophetic dreams or run into someone who gives prophecy - often the prophecy is about many people or the realm generally.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now on my 2nd re-read. I'm doing each character at a time and I'm finding it very interesting. Instead of focusing on the whole story you can really get into the head of each of the characters and see them grow and change. I'm picking up even more details and clues this way as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived