Jurassic World

Commodore

Each new trailer basically confirms my existing thoughts on this film, which are:

yesssss dinosaurs and Chris Pratt yesssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, pretty much sums it up for me as well, when it was first announced that Pratt was going to have the lead role I wasn't really into it, but since then I have binge-watched the complete Parks and recreation and now I love him so much haha it's gonna be awesome!

Andy in dinosaurland with the coolest motorcycle ever just can't go wrong!

1. People test run park; everything goes to crap; park closes.

2. People are poaching animals; crew sent in to stop it and protect animals and people.

3. Tourist gets lost on island; parents hire crew to go save him.

4. Park is reconstructed and park is open after better safety measures are taken. Park obviously creates new dino to make new attraction.. It goes bad; improved security measures are implemented.

It's actually kind of logical what the plot of the movie is. I'd rather they try something new; even if it is buying into the war movie esque situation. You can only have so many flicks of a small group of people surviving on the land.

It might not have the magic of 1; but it will still be a fun movie.

I don't understand why there's a need to artificially "raise the stakes" by making the dinosaurs GM and super intelligent. Like, you've got an island full of awesome prehistoric reptiles isn't that enough to work with.

At least Deep Blue Sea had the good sense to be a comedy, parodying Jaws... but this could turn out to be a parody of Jurassic Park without even realising it.

I'm on board. I've been such a fan of Jurassic Park all my life, I can't not be. It won't live up to my expectations. I'm aware of this.

But I'll be having such a nostalgia trip through the whole thing, if nothing else I'll love it the first time. Just the sight of the old dinosaurs, and, hopefully, that old score will be enough to give me chill bumps like no other.

I was wondering how they managed to repair the original Jurassic Park with all the dinosaurs running around. Turns out they didn't, that entire area of the island was abandoned and sealed off from the public. So there are still wild dinos wandering around the original visitor center. Awesome.

Edit: actually it seems more likely that they did recapture all the dinosaurs from the original area, but once the new park fails they will get loose.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to like this more then I did. I have sat here for five minutes trying to dredge up positive feelings for this one that just aren't there sorry. Much of my problem comes from my dislike of Chris Pine. I don't have the energy to start a spolier thread but I'll contribute if someone else wants to. I did like the couple of nods to the orginal film but it just left me with this strange feeling like 25% of the film got left on the cutting room floor.

However judging from the reactions of the young kids at the screening they at least really enjoyed it.

So they had no dinosaurs with feathers?

I wouldn't expect them to all be feathered, since the evidence isn't there for that - the feathers were only in the Therapod, Coeulosaur, and (maybe) Ornithischian dinosaur lineages, not on lineages like the Sauropods. But at least one thrown in there as a winking acknowledgment that Science Marches On would be nice.

Going to go see this either tomorrow or saturday. I'm looking forward to it, and watched the first Jurassic Park to help me get more psyched for it.

So they had no dinosaurs with feathers?

I wouldn't expect them to all be feathered, since the evidence isn't there for that - the feathers were only in the Therapod, Coeulosaur, and (maybe) Ornithischian dinosaur lineages, not on lineages like the Sauropods. But at least one thrown in there as a winking acknowledgment that Science Marches On would be nice.

Going to go see this either tomorrow or saturday. I'm looking forward to it, and watched the first Jurassic Park to help me get more psyched for it.

It was mediocre. I'd second the 7/10 rating posted above. I was actually pretty ok with it until the end where shit just got stupid (similar to how I feel about 'The Lost World')

In response to the above, feathered dinosaurs are dumb. Also, (minor spoiler, I guess)

At one point one of the scientists goes on a rant about how nothing in Jurassic World is real, about how they've always been filling in the gaps of DNA with animal strains. And that the owners never cared about seeing the real thing, they just wanted it to look scarier and with more teeth.

That's as good an explanation as you're gonna get for the movie's logic.

I wanted to like this more then I did. I have sat here for five minutes trying to dredge up positive feelings for this one that just aren't there sorry. Much of my problem comes from my dislike of Chris Pine. I don't have the energy to start a spolier thread but I'll contribute if someone else wants to. I did like the couple of nods to the orginal film but it just left me with this strange feeling like 25% of the film got left on the cutting room floor.

However judging from the reactions of the young kids at the screening they at least really enjoyed it.

That's a strange thing to hold against this movie, considering he's not even in it. :P

Gonna admit, I'm more than a little surprised that the movie's getting decent-to-postive reviews. I thought the trailers made it look absolutely awful.

Uh, I would definitely go. It's a risk worth taking imo, and in-universe the risk must seem pretty small.

In-universe the risk must seem small? If by small you mean there's a 100% chance there is going to be a disaster. I could see thrill-seekers rolling the dice, but you're going to bring your kids?

Look at RL - eight days ago three people nearly lost their legs at Alton Towers, and one did lose a leg. Four days ago, people started taking their kids to Alton Towers again, albeit the affected ride is closed for the foreseeable future while the crash is investigated.

People assume that bad stuff won't happen to them (just look at anti-vaxers). I got the impression from the Jurassic World trailer that the park had been considered safe for years.

ETA: Also, plot meta. If there wasn't a disastrous something, no movie. Note we aren't getting Jurassic World: Budget Balancing, in which the major conflict centres on the sale price of ice cream and fluffy dino toys.

And even ignoring that, the successful opening of the park (and it's probably several years at least since it opened, given their assessment of visitor numbers in the trailer) is a pretty strong indication that it is safe.

The idea that dinosaurs could be safely bred and contained for viewing pleasure kind of reminds me of an adage I've heard regarding the likelyhood of colliding with a deer on the roads in north Idaho. The adapted version would go something like, "there are two types of dinosaur theme parks; those that have had hilariously predictable breakdowns in containment resulting in gruesome civilian casualties, and those that are going to have hilariously predictable breakdowns in containment resulting in gruesome civilian casualties"

Or you could see fury road a second time. Or a third time.

Challenge accepted!

Well as a super jurassic fan, and really really really trying not too compare it to Jurassic Park, I liked it.

I didn't love it. Didn't hate it. I feel in the middle. 7 or 8 out of 10.

The dialogue was damn cheesy at points, I'll admit that.

But I'll be goddamned if I didn't enjoy it. It's a fun movie. They managed to make the raptor bros believable. The Indomious was a sight to behold. All the little callbacks to the original movie were perfect.

If somebody would open the spoiler thread that would be great.

I really enjoyed the film. I've always been a Jurassic fan since I was little. I didn't have crazy expectations for Jurassic World. I like dinos and action, so I expected that, and was happy with the outcome. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard played their roles well; Pratt in particular. He brought some humor to the action lead, which I found to be a relief. Jake Johnson was fun in his small role as well.

Some of the recycled material I noticed was when the kids were being attacked in the hamster ball. Seemed all too reminiscent of Tim and Lex in JP when the Rex was trying to break through the top of the jeep. The other scenario was the raptor tag team duo on that juggernaut rex (Can't remember the absurd name they gave that behemoth dino). It appeared very similar to the end of Jurassic 1 when the whole crew was escaping the lobby and the raptors attacked the Rex that just so inconspicuously dropped in on everyone like a mouse.

My favorite part was when Pratt and the maintenance dudes were in the pen and they realized that the dino was in there with them. My heart was pounding during that whole scene.

Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of this film. I had goosebumps when the theme song played!!

ETA: I also really enjoyed the Jurassic Park 1 nods they sprinkled in throughout the film.

Archived