(TWOIAF Possible Spoilers) Lineage of Davos Seaworth

rachbabiez

Could Davos Seaworth actually be a bastard Baratheon or carry Baratheon blood? We know nothing of Davos's parents only that he grew up in Flea Bottom. After rereading TWOIAF a second time I noticed something I hadn't the first time.

Page 227 TWOIAF-

" Orys Baratheon, known now as Orys One-hand (Wyl of Wyl cuts off his sword hand) rode forth from storm's end one last time to smash the Dornish beneath the walls of Stonehelm. When Walter Wyl was delivered into his hand, wounded but alive, Lord Orys said, "Your father took my hand. I claim yours as repayment." So saying, he hacked off Lord Walter's sword hand. Then he took his other hand, and both feet as well calling them his "usury". Strange to say, Lord Baratheon died on the march back to Storm's End of the wounds he himself had taken in battle, but his son Davos always said he died content, smiling at the rotting hands and feet that dangled in his tent like a string of onions. "

I have noticed throughout reading TWOIAF, there are loads of instances where foreshadowing of the characters of ASOIAF occur. Could this simply be foreshadowing of Davos losing his fingers and becoming "Davos Short-hand" (like Orys one hand) ? Davos the Onion Knight? Carrying them around his neck in a bag like a string of onions? This onion reference jumps out as this biggest possible clue to me.

I have also noticed most of the family lines keep notable names within and only within their family trees. Stark- Brandon, Rickon, Benjen ; Lannister- Tywin, Tytos; Targaryen- Seriously a ton I don't need to list them. Davos Baratheon is the only Davos I have ever read about besides our Davos Seaworth. Could Davos's parents named him after this Baratheon as many families name their children after ancestors? Davos won't lose his fingers until later into adult hood so his missing fingers wouldn't have influenced his parents to name him after a historic Baratheon. Davos must have been named by someone ( I believe his father) after Davos Baratheon for reasons unknown. We know very little about the female Baratheon decedents which makes me believe it was Davos's father that was of the Baratheon line.

So possible ideas for who could be the parents of Davos?

My first thought- Lord Lyonel Baratheon's unnamed daughter and Prince Duncan. Perhaps Prince Duncan deflowers her, shames her, gets her pregnant and then bails on their betrothal after meeting Jenny in 239ac. This would make sense as to why Lord Lyonel gets so angry and starts a rebellion over her being shamed and dishonored. Only snag is if this occurred before Prince Duncan meets Jenny in 239 that would make Davos 59 years old or 23 years older than Robert who is 36 at the start of aGoT. Davos is described as having "brown hair peppered with gray". I would imagine if Davos was almost 60 he would have more distinct grey/white hair.

#2- Lord Lyonel Baratheon and Aegon V's youngest daughter Rhaelle who was his cupbearer until she wed his heir Ormund Baratheon. Lord Lyonel could very well have made her with child that she would be forced to abandon if he had intimate contact with her before her marriage to Ormund in 245ac. This would make Davos approx 57 at the start of aGoT.

#3 Lord Ormund and an unknown mistress- If he is anything like Robert he could have had one or many a mistress that he impregnated before his death on the stepstones in 261. This could place Davos at anywhere from 36-57 years old.

#4 Lord Steffon was born in 246- marries Cassana Estermont- Conceives Robert in 261ac born in 262ac- According to "'A wiki of Ice and Fire" Davos is born before 260 ac. Lord Steffon, Tywin and Aerys II are childhood friends that follows them into adult hood. This could mean Steffon could have been close with Rhaella as well being siblings with Aerys II. AerysII has reported to have thought she was unfaithful to him. Rhaella could have easily passed off a baby davos as any of the many stillborns and abandoned him at the orphanage. Or it is always possible Lord Steffon could have had other mistresses.

Unfortunately, the history of the Baratheon lineage is minimal (one thing I was disappointed with after reading). There are many holes on children, mistresses, births, deaths. So much is left for speculation.

So could Davos be of Baratheon decent? I personally find it very curious that GRRM placed our only other character mentioned named Davos in our story as a Baratheon. The above passage about Davos Baratheon seems to be the only mention of him in TWOIAF or anywhere I have read.

Anyone else wonder about this passage or have any other ideas or theories?

No, no and no.

We also have a Davos Dayne and a Davos the Dragonslayer, but I find it unlikely he is a secret Dayne or going to be a dragonslayer.

He doesn't have the looks, he has brown hair and eyes, while Baratheons are black of hair and have stormy eyes.

It is not uncommon for commoners to name themselves after lords.

Can't there just be one commoner that does something?

No, no and no.

We also have a Davos Dayne and a Davos the Dragonslayer, but I find it unlikely he is a secret Dayne or going to be a dragonslayer.

He doesn't have the looks, he has brown hair and eyes, while Baratheons are black of hair and have stormy eyes.

It is not uncommon for commoners to name themselves after lords.

Can't there just be one commoner that does something?

Not all Baratheons have black hair. The Baratheons referenced by Ned in aGOT are ones who married Lannisters. He specifically searches the Lannister line and finds that "black wins over gold". There is zero mention of ANY of the other Baratheons besides ones that married Lannisters. The other black haired kids referenced are Robert's children and siblings. Not saying it isn't a trait but there are examples of Baratheon offspring not being black haired. Example Jocelyn Baratheon and Aemon Targaryen= Rhaenys Targaryen who had silver hair. I think the whole point is that there is such little information and description of each generation you can't possibly know that no Baratheon children could have ever had brown hair. And yes there may be two other Davos' tossed into TWOIAF but the one I am referencing is the son of a man who shares some curious similarities to our Davos. I'm not claiming he is a secret king or anything actually, just that there is a possibility GRRM wrote that reference about tying the hands up like a string of onions in for a reason.

Not all Baratheons have black hair. The Baratheons referenced by Ned in aGOT are ones who married Lannisters. He specifically searches the Lannister line and finds that "black wins over gold". There is zero mention of ANY of the other Baratheons besides ones that married Lannisters. The other black haired kids referenced are Robert's children and siblings. Not saying it isn't a trait but there are examples of Baratheon offspring not being black haired. Example Jocelyn Baratheon and Aemon Targaryen= Rhaenys Targaryen who had silver hair. I think the whole point is that there is such little information and description of each generation you can't possibly know that no Baratheon children could have ever had brown hair. And yes there may be two other Davos' tossed into TWOIAF but the one I am referencing is the son of a man who shares some curious similarities to our Davos. I'm not claiming he is a secret king or anything actually, just that there is a possibility GRRM wrote that reference about tying the hands up like a string of onions in for a reason.

GRRM wrote in the string of onions just for funsies I think. Trolling us hard.

The thing is, that is a marriage to a Targaryen. Every great family has there defining traits (ok most, Arryns, Tullys, Greyjoys and Tyrells are all a bit hodgepodge).

When magic blood meets magic blood, it would make sense for the more magic blood (the Targaryen) to be the overwhelming one. And an Baratheon-Estermont marriage also produced all black haired heirs. Might be something to do with the magic of Storms End.

All I'm saying is that Davos is a common name. (Jon is to, Arryn, Connington, Snow) and there are Roberts, Pates, Wats, Alysannes, Aegons and Bethanys at every turn. Davos is also ~40~ not 60.

What is more is Davos is originally from the Crownlands, not the Stormlands. Not that a Baratheon could have fathered him, but it makes it way less possible.

More likely, if there's any Stormlands connection at all, one of Davos' ancestors was in service to House Baratheon, heard the name and decided to use it, and Davos got it down the line. Like he named his own youngest Steffon and Stannis.

But probably it's just a common name.

Archived