‘The Last Kingdom’ - based on Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon series

AncalagonTheBlack

Cast Set For BBC & Carnival’s Epic ‘The Last Kingdom’

November 24, 2014 7:03am

An international cast has been firmed up as shooting begins on The Last Kingdom, BBC America, BBC Two and Downton Abbey producer Carnival FilmsGame Of Thrones-esque epic series. Set in the 9th century, the eight-part historical drama is an adaptation of Bernard Cornwell’s best-selling series of books The Saxon Stories, with Stephen Butchard penning the transfer.

American Horror Story: Coven’s Alexander Dreymon is leading the ensemble. Also joining the cast are Rutger Hauer, Ripper Street’s Matthew Macfadyen and David Dawson; Emily Cox (The Silent Mountain); Boardwalk Empire’s Ian Hart; Kon-Tiki’s Tobias Santelmann; Thomas W. Gabrielsson of A Royal Affair and The Killing III; Peter Gantzler (Italian For Beginners); Joseph Millson (Penny Dreadful, 24:Live Another Day); Alexandre Willaume (Over The Edge); Rune Temte (The Accident); and Henning Valin Jakobsen (The Bridge, The Killing).

http://deadline.com/2014/11/the-last-kingdom-cast-bbc-carnival-alexander-dreymon-matthew-macfadyen-rutger-hauer-1201294955/

Main cast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Kingdom_%28TV-series%29

Rutger Hauer? Damn!

I'm very much looking forward to this, but I wonder how much each season will cover?

They will probably need netflix or amazon to bail them out for the 2nd season if their current track record is anything to go by. On the brightside they have a pretty good track record with said shows (it's really just the cost to ratings ratio that takes them down).

Sounds like there's some good things coming what with the "wolf hall" and "Norrell/Strange" adaptations coming from them too.

I wonder if they are trying to adapt several books in one go? That would imply it may be more likely to be "inspired by"

Judging by other television historicals, such as say, Reign, The Tudors, etc., color me skeptical about this:

The BBC’s Ben Stephenson adds, The Last Kingdom, “will feel like nothing else on television, with all of the scale and intrigue of the best fantasy stories but the reality of fact.”

Judging by other television historicals, such as say, Reign, The Tudors, etc., color me skeptical about this:

The BBC’s Ben Stephenson adds, The Last Kingdom, “will feel like nothing else on television, with all of the scale and intrigue of the best fantasy stories but the reality of fact.”

Makes it sound like they're trying to win over the GoT crowd a bit too hard. I mean i'm a big fan of the Uhtred series but its not really been one for lots of intrigue.

Comparing everything to got is offputting -- like, do all you have no ability to think of anything that isn't shoved in your face already by mass media?

Also, you know, no dragons, no zombies and there are women who have other things to do besides being whores. Some of them even, you know, rule. :dunno: :cheers:

Plus, there are many historical fictions that have all that scale, scope and even are called epics, such as, say, El Cid, for just one. It's not as though fantasy invented those aspects for fiction. Not to mention works such as, well, War and Peace even. :)

Comparing everything to got is offputting -- like, do all you have no ability to think of anything that isn't shoved in your face already by mass media?

Reminds me of the idiots at SyFy saying the Expanse is GoT set in space. Really, is that the best you can come up with?

• 4 months later...

Wow, I am really excited. I loved especially the first books.

I really hope they would mention all those silly stories about the saints, ... which is actually the best about the stories. Uhtred is actually one of my favorite anti-heroes.

The pity of Cornwell's books he spent a lot of time on the battles but his descriptions are quite good.

Was Sharpe not kind of successful? Maybe they are trying to have the same success?

The Last Kingdom teaser: first look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVC0HBlLMF8

For some reason it auto queues to Richard and Judy and I missed the teaser the first time, resulting in a serious WTF moment.

It's good to see a steady stream of historical dramas coming from the BBC of late. When's Norrel and Strange ever going to air?

I hope hope hope this is good. It would be wonderful is this was as good as Wolf Hall is. I've enjoyed a great deal about the Saxon Chronicles novels. (I've never been able to read a single Sharpe or even watch a full Sharpe television episode either. Sharpe is such an uninteresting fellow, unlike Uhtred, who is chock full of interesting conflicts and contradictions and quite intelligent as well as cunning).

Alas that Vikings, which was so good and got even better in its second season, has made a right mess of it all this third season. :bang:

Weird timing, just finished the first two Saxon novels and on the third now. They are pretty good and should make for an entertaining series. I have to agree with the poster above me that Warlord Chronicles would have been a better choice to adapt, I feel like the story is less repetitive and the supporting characters much more interesting but :dunno:

Yeah plus Warlord has a definitive long term story with a proper (good) ending and running antagonists Saxon stories is just sort of pottering along now, almost becoming like a serial - viking raider for the book is introduced, some religious tension, Uhtred smacks viking raider and then rinse and repeat for the next one

Archived