‘The Last Kingdom’ - based on Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon series

AncalagonTheBlack

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Is it bad?!!?1 Everyone's been telling me to watch it ! I don't really love any characters at the moment, but I like the priest and Lagertha and I think the Seer is AWESOME. 

Season 4 was a nose dive into an empty swimming pool

Just now, Theda Baratheon said:

shit really ???

hows black sails

it was between those two shows on amazon prime 

already seen all of outlander...and ...love it 

I could never make it through season one of black sails. Vikings was really good up to season four (imo, some disliked season 3) then it took a turn for the worse. You should watch Wolf Hall if you havent already btw.

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

I could never make it through season one of black sails. Vikings was really good up to season four (imo, some disliked season 3) then it took a turn for the worse. You should watch Wolf Hall if you havent already btw.

ooooh no i haven't seen that one, cheers :) 

28 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

ooooh no i haven't seen that one, cheers :) 

It's on Netflix now, only 7 episodes too so not much investment. 

Also try The Expanse too, if you haven't watched it already, that's on Netflix too. Watched it recently and burned through season one way too quickly, just couldn't stop watching! :) 

18 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

shit really ???

hows black sails

it was between those two shows on amazon prime 

already seen all of outlander...and ...love it 

If you loved the first half of s2 of Outlander, you won't have any problem with s4 of Vikings :) Hirst's brilliant writing is coming to the forefront now more than ever, but I still love the style and characters. But Hirst plays extremely fast and loose with history. My suggestion is enjoy the characters and style of the show, mainly the glimpses of Norse culture.

Black Sails is excellent. It takes about half of s1 for the show to really come into its own, but is excellent when it does. S2 is one of my favorite season of any series, I've seen.

2 minutes ago, Astromech said:

If you loved the first half of s2 of Outlander, you won't have any problem with s4 of Vikings :) Hirst's brilliant writing is coming to the forefront now more than ever, but I still love the style and characters. But Hirst plays extremely fast and loose with history. My suggestion is enjoy the characters and style of the show, mainly the glimpses of Norse culture.

Black Sails is excellent. It takes about half of s1 for the show to really come into its own, but is excellent when it does. S2 is one of my favorite season of any series, I've seen.

I actually wasn't hugely fussed on the first half. I mean, I liked it because it's Outlander and the costumes were gorgeous and i LOVE THE CHARACTERS but I was ecstatic when they got back to Scotland....

Black Sails first two seasons are interminable and very hard for me to get through, despite it being all my stuff.

However -- season 3 is pretty much terrific all the way through from the powerful opening scene to the powerful concluding season.  It's hard to understand just why this season is so much better written and paced and than the preceding two.  Maybe in the first two they were trying too hard to please what they believe is the violence, women raping / women naked loving Spartacus and GOT audiences, and thus characters like Anne Bonny just stand around in a hat doing nothing, while the guys all emote at each other, stuck in glue, movement-wise.

But in season 3 all this changes enormously -- I swear! there wasn't a single rape!  Anne Bonny Did Stuff!  She even talked!  The action scenes were so important.  Fortunately we're out of Nassau town and off the island for large parts of season 3 and that eases the sense of claustrophobia a great dea.  The sailing ships scenes are breathtaking -- all that billow of white sail between blue sea and blue sky.

And we don't have so much Flint.

I also liked Outlander's first season very much, and the second one even more.  So there -- and it's a lot more historically accurate than one is going to find in Vikings, that's for sure!

Archived