‘The Last Kingdom’ - based on Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon series

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

I'd really like to know who will play Guthred and Ivarr.

Hmm, that does seem to point out that book 3 (Sword Song) will be adapted too. So they'll continue with 1 season = 2 books.

Unless there's another Sigefrid in The Lords of the North that I forgot about?

Huh? Book 3 starts where we left of doesn't it? So, is next to be adapted whether they go for 2 or 1 book per season.

Of course, I'm on my first re-read, so haven't read the opening books for several years now, and could readily be misremembering things.

• 2 months later...

Is the new season going to be on Netlfix in America in time with BBC?

And considering that the Flame-Bearer is due to come out at the end of this month, I forgot most of the details of those early books. It all kinda blends into one big story. So I'll just assume it was adapted right. :P

18 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Is the new season going to be on Netlfix in America in time with BBC?

And considering that the Flame-Bearer is due to come out at the end of this month, I forgot most of the details of those early books. It all kinda blends into one big story. So I'll just assume it was adapted right. :P

There is a new book coming out? Fuck yeah :D 

As much as I loved this show.... --to me-- if you can't do one season in a calendar year, then it takes a lot away from the product.... now we have to wait for edits and maybe even a re-shoot or two... it'll be months before we see it...If I'd have known that they were going at a glaciers' pace..., I'd have just waited for the show to end to binge... now I'm engaged...

Of course, I'm being a whiney bitch... so there's that.

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I cant remember, did the pagan queen get killed off or will she still be on the show?

I'm scared to remember, but I have this feeling she was sacrificed in that last battle?

she was beheaded and i was so upset because my TV is sorely missing awesome pagan witches 

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 1:25 PM, Protagoras said:

Sure but just as Ned failed to do after the trident, he should have learnt from them, seen Alfreds intentions and start seeking another option. Maybe hire himself out as a sellsword? If he can´t because of an oath - Well, wait until the oath ends (The series never really say how long that year he swore really is, but since he has a kid he must have sworn a new one at some point). 

Hmm, this sounds like a pretty weak plot tbh. Sure, I agree that keeping your oaths are important but when the time is up and you are not pleased, why stay? What are those circumstances in the book exactly? (I am of course talking about the period from the show).

Yet Arthur ends up breaking many of them anyway. One could hope that some realize that if you are unable to fullfill your promises, maybe the problem doesn´t lie in the oaths, but in you and you simply should swear less oaths in the first place (something  Jaime Lannister needs to learn as well).

Interesting, but I wonder - is this really true after Ubba dies? Cause the show doesnt give me that impression. Indeed, the danes basically take over Wessex the second last episode and I doubt (due to the strong bond between him, Brida and Ragnar) that he wouldn´t be welcome among them if he wished to. Indeed, Ragnar was able to protect him when he was a hostage after all so he does seem to have that power and especially now with Ubba dead.

I am sort of understanding what you all try to tell me, but there are just..things..that just doesn´t work for me. Uhtred only met Alfred because he failed to convince the danes that he didn´t murder Earl Ragnar. There he meet Beocca (God, I hate that man) who can´t understand why Alfreds religious issues (which he really should keep private) are not particulary inspiring to Uhtred (gee, wonder why).

Then Alfred shows up and have zero understanding for Uhtreds position despite seeing him as useful. He somehow believes that he should get completely self-sacrificing obediance from his servants, yet fails to understand that Uhtred is not his servant, nor have any reason to expect him to be - at least not yet. He is offering you an opportunity, an opportunity Alfred want but are not willing to pay for. Basically, Alfred get a year of service without Uthred getting anything in return. Oh, I forget - his "return" is: locked in a cage, a chainmail suit, exchanged as hostage and then ordered to marry a woman with a massive (and unknown) debt Alfred refuses to remove (Seriosly, that man only keep the letter and not the spirit of oaths and creates rebellion and antagonism by simply just beeing), humiliation and almost execution. Service demands rewards, but not in Alfreds mind.

I mean - just look at this logic: (Quote from Alfred) "Why do you not show your king the respect that is due? Because you, Uhtred of Wherever, you do not see me as your king. You do not see my God as your God". Well, lets see - you are about to give him up as a hostage, you have given him little reward, yet you expect him to convert and respect you more (wtf!). You seem to have severe issues to separate friends from enemies and you don´t treat people well in general. Are you sure you have a reputation for being wise?

In the beginning, Uthred endures - due to lack of good options, but this just keeps piling up. He is humiliated (together with the person who is the legitimate threat to Alfred and actually tries to harvest some goodwill with Uthred - why not help him?) and almost killed and yet he still tries to work with Alfred. Why? Simply realize that the man is hopeless, do the minimum you are bid to do and then refuse to reswear the oath when the time is up. 

Uhtred is conflicted.  He's been raised as a Dane, is a pagan, and admires the Danes, but he's also a Saxon who does not wish to see Saxons under the Danish yolk.  So, he puts up with Alfred's shabby treatment (although it's not much of a spoiler to say there will be occasions in the future of the series when Alfred offers more decent rewards).

Also, while he frequently detests Alfred, he does acknowledge that he is an extremely able king, the best that the Saxons could hope for.

There are other reasons too, but I think I'd be spoiling later books for you by revealing them.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Uhtred is conflicted.  He's been raised as a Dane, is a pagan, and admires the Danes, but he's also a Saxon who does not wish to see Saxons under the Danish yolk.  So, he puts up with Alfred's shabby treatment (although it's not much of a spoiler to say there will be occasions in the future of the series when Alfred offers more decent rewards).

Also, while he frequently detests Alfred, he does acknowledge that he is an extremely able king, the best that the Saxons could hope for.

There are other reasons too, but I think I'd be spoiling later books for you by revealing them.

Yep, he also admires Alfred for the fact he is one of the brightest man he knows. (I did only saw the first four episodes) Alfred is amazing at manipulating people (like Uhtred) in making them follow him. 

huge spoilers for one of the latter books

Spoiler

The most beautiful/sad moment of the books and their relationship is when Alfred says to him he will pray Uhtred's gods will give him comfort. :( 

He is indeed conflicted. One of Uhtred's biggest problem is also the Church (while at the same time he also admires several priests, like Beocca). He dislikes their corruption, their greed, ... There is also a big religious element in his support for the Danes: the Danes are his gods, and he believes the fight between the Saxons and the Danes represents actually the fight between his gods and God. If the Saxons would be winning mean actually his own pagan gods are loosing.

Archived