‘The Last Kingdom’ - based on Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon series

AncalagonTheBlack

The battle was fucking epic.

But I also have a quibble with Iseult. Haven't read the book, but from what I gather, they rushed it in like 3 episodes? I guess, Iseult's death was stronger in the book. The ultra fast pacing of the show is great but it does come with that sort of drawbacks. We don't get attached enough to characters, save those who are there since the beginning.

I did not see the last episodes but does this means (if the series is renewed) we will have Gisela already next season  :D My favorite lover of Uhtred (or IMO the real love of his life). 

Now that is how you do a shield-wall battle. Loved it. The episode moved pretty quickly, maybe a bit too quick this time, but I liked it overall. Alfred, Uthred, and Beocca were all great.

Who is the guy who joined Uthred at the end, Wulfhere's former man?

Iseult's death may not have had the same emotional impact as in the book, but it was more gruesome, imo, than in the book, at least for Uthred it was, and that kinda made up for it.

Leofric's death, though matching the book, felt a bit weak. He should have taken that axe in the head, where he was unprotected, not where he had some mail. At least now I have hopes that Steapa will be in the next season. He has other badass things to do.

Odda the Younger's killer was a shock. I don't remember how it happened in the book, I think it was Steapa. Well done, though.

My one quibble is with Wulfhere. Sure he went over to the Danes, but it was kinda odd for him to march at the fore-front of their shield-wall. I guess they had to get rid of him somehow. 

And I really wish Uthred would start wearing that fine mail and helm Alfred gifted to him early on. But you know, he has to look awesome in his Danish outfit.

Holy crap that was good :o

I mean, that shieldwall was beautiful. Not messy enough probably, but it was easy to follow and really very brutal. Probably the most realistic medieval battle scene ever seen on the tele, heck probably on film to. Really, the only weakness this episode has was the fact that it was again very rushed. They could have easily had another twenty minutes of equally great content. I just can't stress enough how this was really one of the best episodes of one of the strongest opening seasons I have ever seen. Only the Ubba episode can compare, but this is damn close. Again a lot of improvements on the book and only a few things I though they could have done better. 

One thing at the very end that kind of baffled me was

Uthred riding away with Hild and that horse guy? I mean, that guy can't be a Haesten stand-in now can he? At first I was really excited, because I thought Aethelwold was accompanying Uthred. The actor and writers have done a bang-up job with that character and I would have liked to see more of him up north. The horse guy was so new that I don't really get why he followed Uthred up north

If I had to choose my favourite character, I would be torn between Guthrum, Beocca or Ubba. The actors playing these characters are magnificent and each of them has so far been vastly superior to their bookversion. I'd probably choose Guthrum, because I just really like the actor. 

As to favourite moments of the episode, there are just to many to choose from. For real.

Uthred tearing down the shieldwall after Iseult severed head is dropped to his feet, Beocca throwing his spear, which leads to Guthrum eventually giving up hope.

Or that freezeframe of Alfred that ended the battlescene

Or Guthrum's baptization in the river at the very end. That shot was breathtaking. I felt like it truly managed to convey the deep spiritual meaning of that particular sacrament.

Beocca telling Uthred that he has finally become the man he always wanted him to be... Tears in my eyes man. 

Leofric's death was great as well. I think it could have been even better if - for instance - Brida or Ragnar had punctured his artery, but the way this happened was great. It showed the terror of the shieldwall and it was heartbreaking to see him die alone. That shot were he yelled no mercy and the blood spills out of his mouth, good lord that was just astonishing. Really unexpected as well, I was sure he was going to live and continue on as a Steapa stand-in. I guess not. If they make another season, I think they'll find another way to mix him in. They just have to.

Alfred and Beocca being there when Uthred gave Iseult's corpse to the flame was also a nice touch. I don't think book Alfred did that.

Aethelwold choosing not to kill Alfred was also awesome. 

A couple of things I wasn't a big fan of

I preferred Iseult's death in the books. At least she tried to defend herself there instead of just running away. I wish she would have showed a little more heroism here, the way they did it here felt a little bit to much like fridging. 

I wish we could have gotten a little bit more of Brida here.

And as others have said, Wulfhere's betrayal felt a little to sudden for my taste. 

If you leave biscuits be for long enough, they can become quite lethal :P 

They would be fools not to make a second season! If they don't make one, I shall personally lead a great army into the UK to punish them for not renewing this gem!

Now that is how you do a shield-wall battle. Loved it. The episode moved pretty quickly, maybe a bit too quick this time, but I liked it overall. Alfred, Uthred, and Beocca were all great.

Who is the guy who joined Uthred at the end, Wulfhere's former man?

Hidden Content

When the camera pulled back as the two shield walls were separating ... and the bloody grass and dead bodies lay between them.... that was some fantastic f'ing TV, right there... as far as who rode away with Uthred & Hild at the end.... I have the same question... Rypere  maybe?... Clapa?

When the camera pulled back as the two shield walls were separating ... and the bloody grass and dead bodies lay between them.... that was some fantastic f'ing TV, right there... as far as who rode away with Uthred & Hild at the end.... I have the same question... Rypere  maybe?... Clapa?

Wrong book, Clapa and Rypere will only be featured in the next series (if there is one). The guy who rode away with Uthred was indeed Wulfhere's former man. A bit of a puzzling decision if you ask me. I hope they retcon it and have

Aethelwold accompany him next season

Wrong book, Clapa and Rypere will only be featured in the next series (if there is one). The guy who rode away with Uthred was indeed Wulfhere's former man. A bit of a puzzling decision if you ask me. I hope they retcon it and have

Hidden Content

Ha!.... right...thanks. ... it gets confusing...lol....

I'm thinking that with Leofric gone we might get Steapa next season

I finally got around to watching it after a big holiday weekend, and wow, that was so amazing.  I'm ready to go back and watch it again.  Beocca stole the episode, and Aethelwold actually becoming a bit of a badass during the battle.  Good stuff.

Ha!.... right...thanks. ... it gets confusing...lol....

I'm thinking that with Leofric gone we might get Steapa next season

I wonder how they'll introduce him. I wouldn't be surprised if they just leave him out altogether and replace him with Finan. It would be kind of awkward to force him into the show now wouldn't it?

Hidden Content

Him being a stand in for Haesten is the only thing I can think of - Clapa and Rypere are both in Northumbria and I'd imagine a Osferth or Finan like character would require a bit more introduction than that

Him being a stand in for Haesten is the only thing I can think of 

It just feels wrong imo. Like, Haesten is cunning and a leader. None of which applies to the horseman, unless they serious overhaul the character. He's also not Danish. I think Osferth will be replaced by Aethelwolf in future seasons. They share some characteristics at the very least (I'm only at book five). 

It just feels wrong imo. Like, Haesten is cunning and a leader. None of which applies to the horseman, unless they serious overhaul the character. He's also not Danish. I think Osferth will be replaced by Aethelwolf in future seasons. They share some characteristics at the very least (I'm only at book five). 

Could be someone like Sithric actually, not in the family connection just as a well meaning, slightly stupid loyal servant 

Sad to see Iseult go.

Didn't like her. I can't think of the last time I liked one of these witches, prophetesses or vision-havers. (Also, Mildreth/Uhtred OTP)

I feel like the well has been thoroughly poisoned by writers that can't resist using prophecy to poke at readers/viewers. I much prefer the Rome approach. 

The sad part about Iseult's story was her melancholy before her death (at least iirc) and that's kinda hard to capture in 3 episodes without dropping too big of a hint. It makes sense to try and increase the impact of her death for Uthred.

The battle truly was epic and probably one of the best TV battles i've ever seen. The moment both sides pull back and you see the blood and dead soldiers was really intense and very well done.

That was some fantastic tv, i think i was holding my breath for the entire battle.

When alfred told beocca to wash out his mouth, and he said he would wash it out with ale, the smile on alfred face was priceless, this episode was littered with gems like these and enough has been said about the battle already.

As for favorites its guthrun, aethelwolf, alfred.

this has been almost flawless tv, maybe they should rest on their laurels? I wont be mad if a second season ia announced though:D

this has been almost flawless tv, maybe they should rest on their laurels? I wont be mad if a second season ia announced though:D

This show will now be my prime piece of evidence that adaptations can be as good, nay better than the book(s) on which they are based (even when the books are really good, like The Warlord Chronicle). Suck on that GoT, I have found a real-life unicorn! The only disappointing episode, seven, was the only one that was worse than the book imo. And most of that came from a lack of time. They could easily have filled another episode without hampering (probably even improving) the already tremendously high quality story.

I really would like to see another series. Book three was by far the weakest book I have read so far in the series and I really do think that the screenwriters could do marvellous things with it. Like, improving it in every way imaginable. Sure, there is a risk involved that the quality will miraculously disappear in the second season, but damn it, I'm willing to take that chance! :D

As for favorites its guthrun, aethelwolf, alfred.

Nice, another Guthrun fan :cheers: They did a bang up job with that character. His book counterpart wasn't even half as interesting as the show's portrayal of him. 

Archived