‘The Last Kingdom’ - based on Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon series

AncalagonTheBlack

The guy listed up top to play Uhtred looks way too boy band.

That's what I was thinking though hopefully with the way they've got Hauer as Ravn done up they'll try and grubby him up a bit so he doesn't look too out of place.

And on the plus side Jason Flemyng is playing the Saxon King that gets shot with a whole bunch of arrows which could be funny to watch.

Like others, the Arthurian series were my favourite BC, though I am pretty into Arthurian reading anyways. Sharpe, Uhtred, Thomas of Hookton, etc. I all love, and Sharpe brought me in, but The Warlord series will be hard to top. I'm very excited about this series, though I'll be travelling for several months so probably have to catch up come winter.

Uhtred, I always thought the guy playing Thor fit. Really, huge and blond is all it takes.

The impression this reader has taken away from the Cornwell novels is Uhtred isn't particularly large for either his time or ours. His brains are more important than his strength, though he sure possesses the endurance necessary to keep fighting the way they fight and live.

The impression this reader has taken away from the Cornwell novels is Uhtred isn't particularly large for either his time or ours. His brains are more important than his strength, though he sure possesses the endurance necessary to keep fighting the way they fight and live.

He's huge. IIRC, by the time he's fifteen he stands a head taller than most men. And his time pulling an oar gave him muscles on his muscles. A big, big man.

Nope he is described as being huge.

He's huge. IIRC, by the time he's fifteen he stands a head taller than most men. And his time pulling an oar gave him muscles on his muscles. A big, big man.

Which begs the question: just how fucking big is Steapa?

• 5 weeks later...

Correction: Matthew Macfadyen is not King Alfred.That role is being played by David Dawson.

Casting update:

• Jason Flemyng as King Edmund
  • Alec Newman as King Aethelred
  • Emily Cox as Brida
  • Ian Hart as Beocca
  • Tobias Santelmann as Ragnar
  • Thomas W. Gabrielsson as Guthrum
  • Joseph Millson as Alferic
  • Alexandre Willaume as Kjarten
  • Rune Temte as Ubba
  • Henning Valin Jakobsen as Storri
  • Tom Taylor as Young Uhtred
  • Julia Bache-Wiig as Thyra
  • Madeleine Power as Young Thyra
  • Peter Gantzler as Earl Ragnar
  • Lorcan Cranitch as Father Selbix

Adrian Bower as Leofric

Brian Vernel as Odda the Younger

Elizabeth Conboy as Glenna

Amy Wren as Mildrith

Grahame Fox as The Swordsmith

Harry McEntire as Aethelwold

Eliza Butterworth as Aelswith

Andy Gathergood as Hubbard the Archer

Alexandre Willaume as Kjarten

Gerard Kearns as Halig

Are any of those Ragnar's "lofbruck" ones? It seems like it's set about 30 years before the events of "vikings" and I guess there's wiggle room for a semi-legendary character?

Might be fun to watch it as a semi-sequel to Vikings. It's what I did in an ironic sense for "The Borgias" and "Da Vinci's Demons" with "Tudors" as a spin- off ;) One day I'll have my TV version of european/western history!

Ubba is a son Lodbrok, Boneless was in the book as well.

Cool. I wonder if "vikings" will ever get to the English invasion they led? Probably not as Hirst's shows tend to end once the leading character dies.

Looking forward to it. Given the BBC it could air anytime between July and December as they often hit the audience with a release.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't see anything about a premiere date for the UK. And if Orphan Black taught me anything its not to jump to the conclusion that they are the same *sigh*

I assumed this would follow the Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell scheduling and be played in the UK a month or two ahead of us because it's produced by the BBC whereas Orphan Black is produced by BBC America. Who really knows though, tv executives are a weird bunch.

I assumed this would follow the Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell scheduling and be played in the UK a month or two ahead of us because it's produced by the BBC whereas Orphan Black is produced by BBC America. Who really knows though, tv executives are a weird bunch.

I hope you are right. I'll be keeping an eye out for the air date, and if it follows the pattern as you say it shouldn't be long before its on.

the BBC usually announce a show about 14 days before it is released. It's really annoying as they seem to rely on the fact people are always watching BBC to know when it's on. I usually only watch iplayer - although in fairness they usually promote the shows when they are on and sometimes put previews up there.

I tend to find out when the BBC shamelessly plug a show on their newsite. They'll probably spin it as some kind of "History piece" with a "by the way a drama series set in that period airs next Tuesday"

Archived