Exercise and Fitness: Keep the Car Running

OnionAhaiReborn

@Iskaral

You don't want to be mucking around with stroke technique to emphasise legs/back/arms - all three are hit pretty solidly by the correct technique without risking injury.

36-38 strokes is ridiculously fast and isn't sustainable over long distances - if you're just looking for a 5 minute blowout the fine, but over a long distance you'll drop massively in speed (as witnessed by your second 1km).

How tall are you?

Did another test on Saturday - this time a 2k.

I got the expected result, which is far from great but I'm constantly improving and am either hitting my targets on each test or missing them by the narrowest of margins.

Progress is there, it's just that my starting point was so low that it will take time for me to achieve any notable result. :D

We had yoga yesterday and, due to lack of communication with our instructor, did a class focusing on legs and core which were still sore from the test on Saturday.

It resulted in some rather funny sights and, more importantly, sounds. :D

All in all, I'm still on track to achieve the goal I set for myself - maintaining 3-4 sessions a week throughout the winter season.

Will be adding ice skating to my schedule.

One of only two indoor ice rinks in Belgrade is 2 bus stops away from my apartment, and I used to go there regularly until some 4-5 years ago.

Will be heading there tonight with my girlfriend. Hopefully, I'll manage to get some of my friends to join us every once in a while.

After all, it's much better than having a drink in a tobacco-smoke infested bar. (Smoking is still very much allowed in bars, pubs and restaurants here)

Weigh day yesterday. 206!!!! Down 24 lbs. Planning on working out once I get home tonight and continue this trek. Goal weight is to trim down to 185 and then fluctuate between 185 and 195 in 6 week bulk/cut cycles.

I don't think we really have a thread for this and I think it would sink like a lead balloon if we did, so I'm putting this in here. I'm still doing Lindy hop, but for the last few months I've been taking west coast swing classes with my girlfriend. Just went out to our first WCS social dance on Saturday, TONS of fun. Also I am way worse than a lot of these people. Must practice.

@Iskaral

You don't want to be mucking around with stroke technique to emphasise legs/back/arms - all three are hit pretty solidly by the correct technique without risking injury.

36-38 strokes is ridiculously fast and isn't sustainable over long distances - if you're just looking for a 5 minute blowout the fine, but over a long distance you'll drop massively in speed (as witnessed by your second 1km).

How tall are you?

I'm 6'0"

I'm not looking for a sustainable long distance, I want a quick cardio workout. On a treadmill, I run two miles in ~15 minutes (second mile rather faster than the first). That's enough to make me sweat and raise my pulse. I want something similar from rowing, without tiring my arms too much because I do weights afterward.

The massive drop in speed was deliberate on my part. I took a short break after the first km and then for the second I consciously aimed for a lower speed and the recommended technique to see how it would feel. That speed would definitely be more sustainable over distance but would take longer to get the same cardio workout.

Obviously I don't want a frantic, uncontrolled technique that's going to cause an injury sooner or later. I'm looking for the sweet spot of intensity vs. technique.

Any of you folks ride bicycles for exercise? Or cycle in general I suppose.

I've been trying Couch-To-5k but I really, really dislike running. I always liked riding bikes but haven't owned one since I was a teenager and I'm thinking about buying one to bike for exercise instead of running. Plus it'll be useful for quick trips to the shops and such. Biking to work would be awesome too but...Florida.

Anyways, I'm obviously gonna go with something used to start with because I need something inexpensive. I was wondering if any of you had advice on what type of bike I should be looking for and what brands are reputable without being earth-shatteringly expensive. Wanna know exactly what to look for before I go to a store and have them set me up with something above and beyond what I actually need or have someone on Craigslist charge me more for something than it should actually cost me. Any suggestions of regimens for beginners would be appreciated too.

Been thinking about trying out some yoga. I really wanted to do this for a while, since I have been doing some at-home DVDs. I feel like I've plateau'd, and that the extra help at a studio would greatly improve my capabilities. Really wanted to avoid the post-New Year crowds. I feel like ample time has passed and I should be in the clear.

Been thinking about trying out some yoga. I really wanted to do this for a while, since I have been doing some at-home DVDs. I feel like I've plateau'd, and that the extra help at a studio would greatly improve my capabilities. Really wanted to avoid the post-New Year crowds. I feel like ample time has passed and I should be in the clear.

I love, love yoga. I catch at lease one Flow alas, and one Yin class a week.

Do it.

I'm not looking for a sustainable long distance, I want a quick cardio workout. On a treadmill, I run two miles in ~15 minutes (second mile rather faster than the first). That's enough to make me sweat and raise my pulse. I want something similar from rowing, without tiring my arms too much because I do weights afterward.

Despite popular misconception, rowing is not hard on the arms.

Your arms only need to finish the stroke on the machine, and that's by far the easiest part.

In a boat, it's not as easy as that but still it's legs and back that do most of the work.

Obviously I don't want a frantic, uncontrolled technique that's going to cause an injury sooner or later. I'm looking for the sweet spot of intensity vs. technique.

Finding this would require you doing some erg tests so you could determine the average splits required for warmups and/or intense workout.

The worst thing you are doing (based on my (mis)conception of your workouts as you described them) is that you are using rowing erg as a warmup by starting strong.

Rowing workout itself requires a warmup and doing 36 strokes per minute (if I remember the number correctly) without warming up properly beforehand can result in an injury and it's only a matter of time before it does.

I can't recommend yoga enough.

It will help with your flexibility, will increase your core strength and, most importantly, it will help you relax.

And I'm saying that as someone who's been doing it semi-regularly for the past 7 months or so and has never tried it before that.

After an indolent weekend, Monday evening was weights but with no run -- my calf was tight. I went at 6pm rather than 9pm and the gym was so crowded. I'll revert to my usual time I think.

Last night I swam. Finally my pool has re-opened after a two month closure. I only swam 15 lengths before I swallowed a choking gulp of water and called it a night. That's a long drop off from the 30 lengths I swam before closure but it leaves me with plenty of scope for improvement.

Are there ways to help maintain your lift numbers while on a calorie deficit? Mine have gone slightly down after being on a deficit for a couple weeks.

Perhaps timing your eating better with your work out to maximize the impact? Convert some of that calorie into a protein+carb drink to be taken 15 to 30 min before your exercise and you can get them to fuel your lifts more directly.

Perhaps timing your eating better with your work out to maximize the impact? Convert some of that calorie into a protein+carb drink to be taken 15 to 30 min before your exercise and you can get them to fuel your lifts more directly.

Terra nailed it. Try and get more of your calories in around your workout.

Does it have to be a protein/carb source, or can it be one of those pre workout shakes (C4 and the like)?

But I do get what you mean; I usually go straight to the gym after work, having not eaten for about 4 hours. So I do need some kind of fuel beforehand. Before going on this deficit I'd usually have a handful of peanuts or almonds, and a banana prior to lifting.

I am not familiar with the pre workout drink you mentioned but my gut feeling is you'd want something heavier on the simple carbs since they absorb faster and can be used by your body right away. But timing is important too because if you drink this too early the carbs will start to get converted. You will need to do a few trials to find what works beat for your body.

Archived