Exercise and Fitness: Keep the Car Running

OnionAhaiReborn

I've been practicing my skipping a lot recently since it's one of the more convenient forms of CV training when stuck on a ship. Finally got my replacement cord through the mail for my buddy lee jump rope (over five years of consistent use before it broke). I still can't get consistent double-unders. I can get to maybe twenty or so before I lose the rhythmn.

I use skipping for exercise if I'm on vacation without access to a good gym. It's a great exercise for limited space & equipment but I do it too infrequently to master the double-under. I try the boxing rhythm of three minute intervals of skipping with a minute break between. I can get a fast rhythm but it's a big CV strain to maintain it.

Last night my legs were too heavy after several consecutive days of running so I did 3km on the rowing maching instead for a workout. It doesn't produce as much sweat and heart beats as running but at least my recovering back muscle was OK with it. I did a set of push-ups after each kilometer of rowing. Possibly back to weights by this weekend.

Last night my legs were too heavy after several consecutive days of running so I did 3km on the rowing maching instead for a workout. It doesn't produce as much sweat and heart beats as running but at least my recovering back muscle was OK with it. I did a set of push-ups after each kilometer of rowing. Possibly back to weights by this weekend.

3km on a rowing machine is not much of a workout. It's barely a warmup.

We usually do at least 8km if we're doing intervals and up to 12km if we're doing a bit of distance.

Our longest set is 1 hour, which runs between 13 and 14km for most of us, with some getting close to 15km.

I went running today. I felt okay. I ran for 3.2 miles. It was FREAKING cold out though There were patches of snow throughout my route. My feet were wet when I got back home.

I'll need to find a new route, like a park. Not everyone in my neighborhood shovels their walk. There's also the danger of slipping on ice. I'll need to take extra caution for the next two months. I hate the winter. Seriously.

3km on a rowing machine is not much of a workout. It's barely a warmup.

We usually do at least 8km if we're doing intervals and up to 12km if we're doing a bit of distance.

Our longest set is 1 hour, which runs between 13 and 14km for most of us, with some getting close to 15km.

Yes, it required a lot less exertion than running a fast two miles on the treadmill (basically the same distance). But I've never really rowed before apart from 15 years ago occasionally using 1k as a light warm-up before weights. So my technique is probably not very good (my breathing rhythm definitely felt erratic) and I didn't know where to set my expectations.

If I continue using this as an occasional alternative to running then I'll push up the distance each time.

I ran a reasonably fast two miles last night on the treadmill (15 minutes) and did some more push-ups and pull-ups. Minor stiffness in the back muscle today. I'll continue to be patient with it.

Edit: what speed is a good target? Each kilometer took around 3 minutes, but I was taking a break between each kilometer.

Today is a rest day, which means I will be trying out a kickboxing class. I have done 40 minute videos, but never a solid hour class. (I won't do it often, because it would make me late for my regular Thursday night karate class which starts back up next week.

Class was so great I will be doing it most every week...even though I have to skip the last 10 minutes of mat work so I can make it to my (secondary) karate class on time....yep, 50 minutes of kick boxing followed by 90 minutes of karate. I might be going a bit insane with the working out, but I feel very happpy :D

Today is a rest day, which means I will be trying out a kickboxing class.

I don't think you have fully grasped the concept of the rest day :P

Edit: what speed is a good target? Each kilometer took around 3 minutes, but I was taking a break between each kilometer.

If you're talking about rowing, I'm pretty sure it took you longer than 3 minutes for a kilometer.

Unless you're an olympic athlete, of course.

I don't think you have fully grasped the concept of the rest day :P

:lol: I know! What I really meant was no weights, but still managed some pushups in the class

Today I will try the first full upper body workout. And I am doing rowing for my warm ups...want to build up to 30 minutes of rowing.

Mondays: a true rest day, unless I don't have to work...then it will be a weights workout

Tuesdays: karate (2.5 hours total)

Wednesdays: boot camp

Thursdays: kickboxing followed by karate

Friday: upper body workout

Saturday: kickboxing

Sunday: lower body workout

And I am doing rowing for my warm ups...want to build up to 30 minutes of rowing.

This is what I always say when someone mentions they're doing rowing - mind the technique.

Get that down right first and foremost and then move on from that.

Keep your back straight, your shoulders low and your head high, keep an eye on your movement through recovery...

It's mindnumbingly boring at first, until you get that down.

This is what I always say when someone mentions they're doing rowing - mind the technique.

Keep your back straight, your shoulders low and your head high, keep an eye on your movement through recovery...

Thanks for the tips. I hate treadmills and steppers with a passion and the bike seats hurt my butt. Been about 30 years since I did it on a regular basis.

Try to find someone who can give you tips on the spot.

Every beginner that came to our club (I assume you're a beginner, correct me if I'm wrong) has had the problem with consistency.

They'd follow instructions and do well, but when left on their own they'd do 2 or 3 good strokes and then their form would collapse.

That's why you need someone there to annoy you with all the corrections, and there will be quite a few at first.

The good thing is, when you get the proper technique it will be much easier and rowing definitely is one of the best full body workouts I've ever tried.

Further to this, here's an excellent technique video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmMd7FdAA

@Baxus

I was going to comment on the 1:30/500m time but I see you got there first!

Does anybody like pilates and yoga?

That's what I do for fitness type of thing. Should maybe add more cardio...

I could stretch all day long, but can't put on my running shoes.

I do yoga once a week in theory, but I'm not that regular at it.

Started last summer with few of my coworkers but we've added it to our rowing training recently.

It's nice, though I pretty much suck at it.

It's a welcome change from all the weights, running, rowing and stuff like that.

Streching, breathing, relaxing... I love it and would recommend it to everyone.

Archived