Official Blatant but Honest Self Promotion Thread

EruditeFool

:) Hope it meets expectations. To anyone popping in from the Boarders Writing a Novel thread and on the verge of querying, the cover blurb/Goodreads blurb consists of the three-paragraph hook from my query letter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, my urban fantasy spy novel Esoterrorism just came out today!

Available here!

There are no good guys in the world of shadows...but maybe some bad men are better than others.

Derek Hawthorne was born to be an agent of the Red Room. Literally. Raised in a conspiracy which has protected the world from the supernatural for centuries, he's never been anything other than a servant of their agenda. Times are changing, though, and it may not be long before their existence is exposed.

When a routine mission uncovers the latest plan of the magical terrorist, the Wazir, Derek finds himself saddled with a new partner. Who is the mysterious but deadly Shannon O'Reilly? What is her agenda? Couple this with the discovery the Red Room has a mole seeking to frame Derek for treason and you have a plot which might bring down a millennium-old organization. Can he stop the Wazir's mission to expose the supernatural? And should he?

Edited by Charles Phipps

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent the last three years writing analyses of EVERYTHING Gene Wolfe has written. The first volume came out ... and it is primarily for Gene Wolfe fans, but is designed to aid readers who missed allusions and just didn't understand deeper thematic and structural things that Wolfe was doing. I believe objective closure is possible in almost every story, no matter how "postmodern" or "decentralized" meaning seems. The first volume is over 800 pages, and covers everything he wrote from 1951 to 1986. The second will be released next year. As of right now it only has an ebook release, but I am hopeful of a hardcover by the end of the year. Outside the urth mailing list, readers of Wolfe are a hard lot to market to ... so ... here are links, but you should have definitely read at least one novel or short story collection by Wolfe first before looking at my book. The qualifier here is that this is DEFINITELY not a book for everyone.

epub and non-us kindle

http://www.castaliahouse.com/downloads/between-light-and-shadow/

amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Between-Light-Shadow-Exploration-Fiction-ebook/dp/B011YTDGY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437493310&sr=8-1&keywords=marc+aramini

If you have never read Wolfe, some suggestions, as I really want to promote him as a household name as the final goal of my project:

The Island of Doctor Death and other stories and other stories (short story collection)

Endangered Species (short stories)

The Best of Gene Wolfe (short stories)

Peace ("mainstream" novel ... at least, not SF)

Fifth Head of Cerberus (SF novel)

Book of the New Sun (SF series, Shadow and Claw v.1/Sword and Citadel v.2/Urth of the New Sun Coda)

Edited by marcaramini

I just tried it but was not impressed and dropped it without finishing it.  I posted a short review in the June 2015 reading thread.  It's not at all intended to slate you.  Best of luck with your next work.

Thanks for checking it out.

Had a look at your review and glad to say you've been very much the exception - 71 reviews so far, 64 five star. I appreciate if a book just doesn't click for you, it's hard to keep going, but I wonder if you would have enjoyed it more if you had read more than a fifth? Not to worry - different strokes for different folks.

Regarding your comment that comparisons with Billy Connolly were aspirational, it actually came direct from a review.

Book has had over 350 sales and has over 70 reviews on Amazon, so really pleased with how it's going.

http://tinyurl.com/pfg3t7n Edited by Dillinger

I'm a firm believer some books work for people and some don't.

THE RULES OF SUPERVILLAINY has 32 reviews, 2 being 1 star, most being Five Star and the rest Four Star. Some people just didn't like the premise and hated the characters.

ESOTERROISM only has seven reviews up but they're all five or four stars but I KNOW some dude is going to truly hate it.

It's the nature of the game.

Yeah, absolutely. It just makes me determined to get my book to the right audience - the folk who have a similar sense of humour seem to love it. On the other hand, a 60+ year old church elder who's a neighbour of my mum's got wind, downloaded it and hated it. I just need to make sure it gets in the right hands!

Yeah, absolutely. It just makes me determined to get my book to the right audience - the folk who have a similar sense of humour seem to love it. On the other hand, a 60+ year old church elder who's a neighbour of my mum's got wind, downloaded it and hated it. I just need to make sure it gets in the right hands!

That's what happened to the Rocky Horror Picture show in its initial run. The studios showed it to a older middle class audience of parents...in the 1970s.

Hmmm.

Of course, sometimes you get people to like it you don't expect too. I've had a couple of readers praise both books who come from the local fundamentalist background in my area despite the fact they're kind of people who don't let their kids like Harry Potter and some people who I thought would really like it due to being fans of the genre but were off-put by my style.

Taste is a crapshot it seems.

But I wish you the best. Your book sounds really-really fun.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

While the board was emerging from its chrysalis and discovering that everything was the same as before, Sailor to a Siren came out in ebook format, last Friday.  The link is to my publisher's site, which, in turn, links onward to most or all e-reader formats.

Awesome news. I will buying first thing tomorrow.
N

While the board was emerging from its chrysalis and discovering that everything was the same as before, Sailor to a Siren came out in ebook format, last Friday.  The link is to my publisher's site, which, in turn, links onward to most or all e-reader formats.

Ebook copy downloaded. Looking forward to reading it :read:

Mind if I piggyback off this and post your interview?

https://dracarya.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/ask-the-author-zoe-sumra/

Sales are good for THE RULES OF SUPERVILLAINY and ESOTERRORISM.

So much so my publishers for the latter have agreed to contract me for the full trilogy and my fantasy series, WRAITH KNIGHT coming out in January.

RULES is also getting its sequel published in October, THE GAMES OF SUPERVILLAINY.

Though that was expected even before the release.

• 1 month later...

For beginning writers and published authors alike, I recommend http://www.scribophile.com. You can get constructive feedback on your writing, find criiquers, beta readers, groups of like-minded writers of all genres and levels of accomplishment, and answers to every writer's question you can imagine.

I recently published my debut novel on Amazon, The Bastard's Blade, a medieval romantic suspense inspired by Kit Harington and his portrayal of the unsmiling and sullen Jon Snow.

It's Game of Thrones meets A Knight's Tale.  :fencing:

In this sophisticatedly erotic and suspenseful romance, the hero hunts a killer to avenge his mother's death. Lady Sera, young widow of an elderly lord, desires a heart-pounding romance before she is forced to marry another wealthy stranger. Aethan, bastard son of a lord and a common woman, with the bearing and refinement of a noble but status of a low-born, travels with a fortune-telling bard as his bodyguard and horseman, murder on his mind. Desperate to keep her beloved castle from her dead husband’s brother, Lady Sera finds support in the unlikely forms of a free-spirited lady's maid and a beer-brewing Brother of Peace. Through laughter, tears, and cheers, Lady Sera discovers the bliss of sensual pleasures as she struggles to convince Aethan that he is a man of worth, and that her passion for him is stronger than the power of the ruling class of Cobraya, where nobles and commoners are forbidden to fall in love.

http://www.amazon.com/Bastards-Blade-medieval-romantic-suspense-ebook/dp/B010G0RGYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439556727&sr=8-1&keywords=the+bastard%27s+blade

Edited by LucaThrace

Hey all,

My new all things SFF blog here:

https://sffden.wordpress.com

Only a very small amount of content up now but I have a lot of content pending and it should be updated at least once a week with either a review or some sort of analysis. Will also add some polls to spice things up.

Would be nice to see some of the regular posters over here signed up.

Cheers

Hi guys,

You can check out my novel, Blackfeather, right here.

"I'm a long way from home. If they hung me here, what would happen to my soul? Gallows high, my feet not touching blessed soil? Hanged. Hanged, not hung. Meat is hung and men are hanged. That's what Marlow taught you. 

Young Rook can't swing a sword, and the drunken blacksmith Hakar can't forge one. But in the valleys they still cling to old gods, old ways; an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. 

Rook’s quest to avenge a Wierder curse will drive him to Solmourne; city of blood and broken law, where queens are beggars and exiles rule the court. A city teetering on the brink of collapse. Poor and desperate, Rook won’t survive long alone. But in a city like Solmourne - where anyone can be bought for the right price - friendship may be the most dangerous gamble of all."

I've set the look-inside preview to 45% of the story - so you can definitely get a good taste of whether its for you before taking the financial plunge. Obviously investing the time to read is pretty precious too - but I'd love to hear what you think - either here, via PM, or as a review!

Thanks,

J