Metal Thread Vol. VIII -- The Angry Red Planet

Xray the Enforcer

Aw, I thought she was pretty good on Imaginaerum.

on the album, yes, she could rerecord her parts a million times, but live she basically can't reach high notes, was often out of tune, made a lot of mistakes... I saw them live a couple of times with Tarja and a couple with her, totally different story. I think Flor is the best singer they've ever had

New Nightwish is pretty good, but plays things too safe to be great. Floor delivers as I expected, but most of the songs aren't really memorable for the first few listens. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Speaking of new music, the debut album from Irreversible Mechanism is fucking incredible if you enjoy technical death metal even a little bit.

I can confirm the album has grown quite a lot on me !

Floor is truly spectacular ! Big fan of "Yours Is An Empty Hope", my favourite track on the album !

Gotta check the Arcturus one of these days, but latest (and only so far) ICS Vortex was disapointing, so I dont have a lot of faith, especially since only "The Sham Mirrors" album is truly entertaining imo.

I can confirm the album has grown quite a lot on me !

Floor is truly spectacular ! Big fan of "Yours Is An Empty Hope", my favourite track on the album !

Same for me. Despite being a little underwhelmed at first, I found myself going back to it and would now rate it very good (8.5/10).

One thing is that with new albums I tend to be biased toward the front end (i.e. first impressions), which in this case doesn't contain all the strongest tracks. The back third or so of the album (tracks 8-11) is where it really shines for me, with either Edema Ruh or Alpenglow being my favorite. I still feel like they could have done more to utilize Floor's spectacular talents, but that will probably come as she further acclimates into the band.

on the album, yes, she could rerecord her parts a million times, but live she basically can't reach high notes, was often out of tune, made a lot of mistakes... I saw them live a couple of times with Tarja and a couple with her, totally different story. I think Flor is the best singer they've ever had

Ah, yeah, I've heard that she was... inconsistent live. I really love Floor on the Live DVD, but Tarja is who I started with so she'll always be the best to me.

The new Nightwish is very, very good so far. I wasn't impressed at first but it grew on me very quickly. Lots of good/great songs and usually Nightwish has a clunker or two on their albums but I honestly can't name anything that I don't like, just songs that I like less. Even the 24 minute song holds together rather well. I wasn't sure if this would match up to Imaginaerum but I think it might actually be better.

Yeah, and apparently they'll play only the "band-part" live, as Tuomas said, and yeah, that song could be reduced to 6/7 minutes.

I've quite overlooked Alpenglow so far, but actually, yeah, it's one of the best of the album !

• 2 weeks later...

I cant with Black Metal anymore...

I've had my Mayhem phase and I can appreciate some Symphonic Black Metal ala Dimmu Borgir on occasions, but honestly, the only Black Metal song I can listen over and over again is Satyricon's Mother North.

Oh by the way, did anyone listened to what Varg Vikernes composed recently ? It's quite good actually, very atmospheric and folky !

I've had my Mayhem phase and I can appreciate some Symphonic Black Metal ala Dimmu Borgir on occasions, but honestly, the only Black Metal song I can listen over and over again is Satyricon's Mother North.

Oh by the way, did anyone listened to what Varg Vikernes composed recently ? It's quite good actually, very atmospheric and folky !

Nah, can't do it. I'll be honest, he can sure make music that Id enjoy listening to... But being so inextricably tied to such a fuckhead, I don't even bother. Fuck him.

^ I agree but I try to dissociate the music from the man, but in any case, his latest works have nothing to do with Metal so it's a little bit out of topic...

I listened to the latest Edguy and Avantasia albums lately but sadly they didnt do much for me.

I love Toby (and, alongside Joakim Broden he's the best show/front man out there for me !) but I feel like he's doing too much stuff right now to fully deliver anywhere...

yeah varg said he wasnt doing metal at all anymore, just ambient. the metal blogs/magazines never let up on bashing him and calling him a racist. i love varg though, his work is a cornerstone to what bm is today.

havent caught the new composition yet, im assuming its along the lines of the ways of yore though?

black is all i listen to anymore though. not just straight up black, ill dabble in dsbm, atmospherics and ambient. symphonic orchestrial is good too, but it's so overdone now. a good talented symphonic black youd like is carach angren, look them up theyre really good

Nah, can't do it. I'll be honest, he can sure make music that Id enjoy listening to... But being so inextricably tied to such a fuckhead, I don't even bother. Fuck him.

you may not agree witht he man, you cant deny his music is amazing though. same with blake judd of nachtmystium, total douschebag, druggie, and thief, but nachtmystium/twilight/hate meditation is great work

Black metal tends to ultimately bore me.

And varg is a piece of shit. he can't make enough worthy music to ever separate himself from that.

ill leave it at this: his views dont effect you in the slightest, and cant. his music? his music has a further reach.

what subgenres are you into?

im more black, death, and funeral doom. as well as any combination of those three

havent caught the new composition yet, im assuming its along the lines of the ways of yore though?

a good talented symphonic black youd like is carach angren, look them up theyre really good

Yep, it's in the same vein ! ;)

Thanks for the tip ! Gonna check'em tommorow (time to sleep now ! ^^)

But yeah, my kind of Metal is mostly Power (and Folk, and sometimes Symphonic - well, mostly Nightwish for that one, but they're my fav band. I can understand why one wouldnt like them at all, I can understand them being called cheesy, but emotionally, they've always managed to appeal to something in me... but enough on NW, we've discussed them quite in lenght already here).

Back on Power Metal, my three fav bands are Iced Earth, Blind Guardian and Sabaton ! \o/

(dammit, we need a headbanging smiley... Metalest one we got is this one : :tantrum: ... or always that one : :cheers: xD )

I listen to a lot of subgenre black metal, mostly of the atmospheric variety.

Back on Power Metal, my three fav bands are Iced Earth, Blind Guardian and Sabaton ! \o/

(dammit, we need a headbanging smiley... Metalest one we got is this one : :tantrum: ... or always that one : :cheers: xD )

I was deep into Iced Earth at one time but I lost interest around the time Barlow quit the first time. How do you like their newer stuff? I heard it wasn't very good so i haven't listened to much of it.

And yes, we are sorely missing a headbanging smiley.

Archived