Metal Thread Vol. VIII -- The Angry Red Planet

Xray the Enforcer

:lol:

I knew I'd find some compatriots on this thread. I've actually been giving metal something of a break -- waiting for a few new albums to come out (Mgla, Ares Kingdom, etc) before I go on another binge. In its place, a lot of prog, 80s power ballads, Depeche Mode. Also, western swing: Bob Wills, Asleep at the Wheel, Moon Mullican -- so much fun.

Metal passed me by quite a long time ago, but the new Iron Maiden song grows on me more and more every time I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7A24f6gNc

I have seen thousands and thousands of shows in my life, and to this day, nothing beat the Powerslave tour. 

I'm really digging the song too - makes me hopeful for the new album. Just a week away!

Speaking of Maiden, that world tour kicking off next year could present a prime opportunity for a BWB Maiden party/concert extravaganza. Just a thought.  :)

I'm really digging the song too - makes me hopeful for the new album. Just a week away!

Speaking of Maiden, that world tour kicking off next year could present a prime opportunity for a BWB Maiden party/concert extravaganza. Just a thought.  :)

Fucking yes!!!!

That sounds like a blast... I would love to be a part of something like that.

:lol:

I knew I'd find some compatriots on this thread. I've actually been giving metal something of a break -- waiting for a few new albums to come out (Mgla, Ares Kingdom, etc) before I go on another binge. In its place, a lot of prog, 80s power ballads, Depeche Mode. Also, western swing: Bob Wills, Asleep at the Wheel, Moon Mullican -- so much fun.

I have an Asleep at the Wheel album that plays tribute to Bob Wills.  I have also listened to a bit of BR-549 in the last few weeks.

Ok, back to the metal talk and no more country.

New Maiden just dropped and Metal Thread is on PAGE 3???? What fell sorcery is this?   :blink:

First impressions having listened to everything in its entirety except Bruce's 18 minute epic closer:

- I love the vibe of this album. Each Maiden album up to now has had its own distinct feel, and this one is really nice. Reminds me a little of A Matter of Life and Death but more diverse.

- A lot of long songs, complex arrangements and some prog-like elements. This has all the hallmarks of a latter-day Maiden album, but is certainly one of the better ones. I can already tell that I'll like it more than The Final Frontier.

- As is typical for Maiden the first single (Speed of Light) is good, but isn't nearly the best song on the record.

- Early favorites: The Red and the Black, When the River Runs Deep, The Book of Souls, and Tears of a Clown.

- I wasn't expecting Tears of a Clown (the Robin Williams song) to be a favorite, but in my opinion it's the best "short" song on the album. Lyrically it's outstanding and the musical arrangement is perfect.

- At first listen, none of the songs seem like a dud that I will end up skipping over most of the time. Obviously a good sign.

Overall, I think this one's going to get a ton of play for me.

I listened to Book of Souls twice today on the drive to Atlanta (ProgPower USA starting tomorrow night!!!   :commie: ). Gets better with every listen for me.

There are no stinkers on the album for me. Title track is my favorite right now. 

Have fun, bro! :cheers:

I am currently not especially fond of The Red and the Black. And I haven't been able to make it through the entire album -- that 18-minute closing track is just more than I want to deal with, after I've gone through 60+ minutes already. Title track rules, though. So does the opening track (which was apparently originally slated to be on a Dickinson solo album).

ProgPower day 1 report:

Opening act Halcyon Way wasn't great. Nu-metal "prog" with poor execution. Not unexpected given they were both a local band and a last-minute replacement.

Ashes of Ares (consisting largely of former members of Iced Earth and Nevermore, most notably one Matt Barlow) put on a very strong show. Barlow was entertaining and sounded as good as ever. I was hoping they'd play an Iced Earth song or two for old times, but they stuck to their original material. 

Voyager was next and they set the fucking place on fire, playing their album I am the reVolution in its entirety (something they'd never done on stage before). Awesome live band. They played a lot of really complicated shit flawlessly and frankly sounded much better live than they do in the studio. 

Evergrey, as expected, tore the roof off the joint. Ever the crowd pleasers they played an hour and a half of literally all their best stuff. I was 2 rows back from the stage and have no voice left whatsoever. :p

Acoustic Evergrey set this afternoon, followed by Dragonland/Armored Saint/Saxon tonight. :thumbsup:

Ashes of Ares (consisting largely of former members of Iced Earth and Nevermore, most notably one Matt Barlow) put on a very strong show. Barlow was entertaining and sounded as good as ever. I was hoping they'd play an Iced Earth song or two for old times, but they stuck to their original material. 

Man, you remind me that I definitly gotta check what they've done ! And that one must have been one hell of a show !

Have fun with Saxon, saw them twice in festivals and they were great both times !

Now off to listen the Book of Souls !

Archived