Most Despicable Act in the Series

SeanF

Daenerys's campaign must've made the slaves within Meereen restive, meaning that the Meereenese needed something to cow them before rebellious sentiments could turn into something more. Taking the children from their parents for such a horrible fate was pretty much the strongest message that the Meereenese could send to their slaves while spiting Daenerys as a bonus.

I don't think killing someone's kids is an effective way to stop them from rebelling. What message does that send? That your masters may kill you or kids even if you have done nothing wrong, so you might as well rebel.

It was a strong message to Dany, yes, but it amounted to trolling. And it also ensured that they were treated much worse after her victory

I feel particular horror about what happened to Jahaeyra, because someone very close to me suffered a similar fate (though, it was an accident, and she did miraculously survive). Thus, it conjures up a hideous mental image.

I don't think killing someone's kids is an effective way to stop them from rebelling. What message does that send? That your masters may kill you or kids even if you have done nothing wrong, so you might as well rebel.

It tells them that nothing has changed. That the masters can still do whatever they want to the slaves. And that the only way that the slaves can keep from losing what little they have is to keep their heads down and pray that the masters will not notice them.

That said, do we know that the children were randomly chosen? It's been a long time since I read that section and I can't check at the moment.

Basically, everthing that happened to Helaena and her children. The sad thing is that they were the most innocent Targaryens during that era.

We presume that Helaena wasn't that involved with the scheming of her mother and brothers, but I don't think it's been stated as fact. Her children were innocent, but I don't think they were any more innocent than Aegon The Younger or Viserys.

Not disagreeing that what happened to them was tragic. Just the "most innocent Targaryens" part.

It tells them that nothing has changed. That the masters can still do whatever they want to the slaves. And that the only way that the slaves can keep from losing what little they have is to keep their heads down and pray that the masters will not notice them.

That said, do we know that the children were randomly chosen? It's been a long time since I read that section and I can't check at the moment.

Ok, but even if the Masters thought they were sending a certain message, surely we can agree it was a dumb tactic (morality aside)? Cruelty has its uses in politics/warfare but there's a point when it becomes counterproductive

I disagree about bloodraven killing aenys blackfyre, not after suffering through a brutal civil war. I don't think it's bad to capture and kill someone who's going to plague the land with warfare unless his ambitions are realised. Sure it's impolite but getting your head swiftly cut off is hardly the most brutal way to die. What Is the short end to one man in comparison to the suffering of many.

I think the dothraki are scum. Same with the iron born, they are basically bandits.

The complete destruction of the Rhoynar by the hands of the Valyrians. It was a genocide. What's something that happens to a single nobleman when an entire people is slaughtered and the few survivors enslaved?

The Valyrians were genocidal assholes overall.

Im surprised no one brought this up, but definitely what happened to Elia Martell.

It sounds truly awful what happened to her, and totally get why the Martells lust for revenge.

Imagine some huge, brutal stranger breaking into your room, bashing your baby son to bits, raping you with the blood still on him, before popping your head in. Just the physical and mental anguish you'd be in before its all over..... yikes..

Ok Somebody explain to me this "Blood and Cheese" stuff to me in detail. I must be deep out the loop so now I'm curious!!!

Quoting myself from the first page

Blood and cheese was an incident during the Dance of Dragons, which was a conflict between Rhaenyra Targaryen and Aegon III Targaryen over who would ascend the Iron Throne. After Rhaenyra's son Prince Lucerys was killed by supporters of Aegon, her husband Daemon (Lucery's stepfather) swore revenge - "a son for a son" .

So he hired two criminals called "Blood and Cheese" to infiltrate the Red Keep, where they ambushed Aegon's wife and two young sons. They told her they were there to "collect a debt," and asked which son she wanted to lose. Forced to choose, the poor woman chose to keep the eldest one. But then they killed him and left her with the younger son instead, just to fuck with her more. This all happened with Aegon's mother Queen Alicent tied up on the bed as well

The casualties on the losing side (10% or so) don't seem that bad to me. Had Aegon and his sisters spent hours afterwards pursuing the defeated soldiers and roasting them, that would have been barbaric. But, really, they just wanted the other side to run away.

You do know that 'decimating' a force means depleting one in 10. Decimating someones forces by burning them alive from the sky is disgusting. Its like dropping nepalm on Vietnam.

You do know that 'decimating' a force means depleting one in 10. Decimating someones forces by burning them alive from the sky is disgusting. Its like dropping nepalm on Vietnam.

What I mean is that losing 10% of one's force is not a very high level of casualties for an army that's beaten. In fact, you'd expect the level of casualties to be far higher on the losing side in medieval warfare.

Archived