:0 I dislike the Starks :0

Onime

:agree: Not really sure how you can hate the Starks and still enjoy the first 3 books.

There's no shortage of bad things happening to the Starks, so even if you (for whatever reason) dislike them, there's plenty of cheer-worthy moments in all the books.

I like all the Starks, I also like LF,Theon, Tywin, Cersei, and Tyrion as characters but I would loath them as actual people.

With regards to the protagonists of the story it's the Starks and in particular Sansa,Bran,Arya and Jon, Rickon may come in at the end, with Ned,Cat and Robb filling in the family dynamics.

GRRM said the Starks are the heroes and in particular they are his team the NY Giants so sayeth the God of Westros.

We see two family dynamics here: a group of sheltered kids who grew up in a loving and caring household and a family growing up in a household missing a matriarch with just a distance father more concern with getting and keeping a family on the top of the pyramid where they deem themselves more than entitled, and each are into their own self for their own gain slowly being destroyed by their own actions.

Which family exist in the end? we will see.

ETA spelling.

I've always like all the Starks really. Arya is getting a little boring in the later chapters. And we never really see much of Rickon anyways.

I've always like Tywin though. The only part of his character that fails him is how he treats and views his children. Other than that, mostly if not entirely all good choices.

I dislike a bunch of the Starks too.

I don't see why people are saying you need to like the Starks to enjoy the books; the books are immensely enjoyable, it has a large world which really sucks you in and it has other characters that people like and find interesting.

Ned and Robb, I find, are incredibly foolish people, which is a trait I dislike in people. That's why I don't like them. Sansa too, for the first few books. Rickon isn't around enough to like or dislike (well, I'm not particularly fond of children, and he really acts like the child he is) so I've got no real opinion on him.

I don't like Bran. I'm not sure what it is, but there's really something about him that I don't like. It could be his dependence on Summer (as in, how much he enjoys Warging into Summer). Well, I'm not sure what it is entirely I don't like about him.

Arya I find to be a little odd. She doesn't seem to know who she wants to be, dancing between throwing away her Stark life and becoming a Faceless Man, or remaining her Stark self and killing all the people on her list. Though I think she intends to remain a Stark, but I don't think assassins like being toyed with. They'll not be pleased with her half-sworn oaths. I'm not sure what I feel about her, other then that I think Arya Stark will be dead soon, becoming a true Faceless Man, nobody, or choosing the other way, deciding to remain Arya, and likely getting killed by the Faceless Men.

I like Jon well enough, I guess; though he seems to be taking after his Father a great deal, though he hasn't been quite so foolish.

The people in this series I truly dislike, however, beyond all others are Daenerys and Tyrion.

So anyway, even if this is a "troll" thread as some people seem to think, it's still entirely possible for people to have reasons not to like the Starks, and not be trolling.

Just to be clear: there are reasons to dislike any Stark, and of course it's possible to enjoy the books even while hating half the main characters. I did enjoy Cersei's AFFC chapters quite a lot, for example.

I just think that reasons presented in OP are quite shallow, to be honest.

All good choices:gang raping a peasant woman, murdering children, giving instructions to war criminals to brutalize smallfolk, hanging a elderly for the crime of owning a establishment where his son was arrested, sacking cities, releasing the Bloody Mummers in Westeros, legitimizing Ramsay and giving the North to the Boltons, enabling a massacre at a wedding, forcefully marrying a teenage girl to his son, putting people in dungeons for the crime of making japes...

Just to be clear: there are reasons to dislike any Stark, and of course it's possible to enjoy the books even while hating half the main characters. I did enjoy Cersei's AFFC chapters quite a lot, for example.

I just think that reasons presented in OP are quite shallow, to be honest.

Well, that's certainly fair enough. The reasons were quite shallow. But yeah; the books are still good even if you don't like a few of the characters. Makes it a bit better in my opinion.

:agree: Not really sure how you can hate the Starks and still enjoy the first 3 books.

It's easy. I dislike the Starks yet I still enjoy their chapters because of what's going on around them and the other characters they interact with.

I find Theon, Jaime, Stannis, Tyrion, Davos, Cersei, Sandor, Asha and Brienne all extremely interesting characters. Not liking the Starks has never stopped me from enjoying reading about the characters I do like.

Ignore the flak and troll callouts, its fair enough opinion, there are a wide variety of interesting characters in this story and the Starks are good enough people, but not necessarily the page turners other characters are. I see a lot of Star Wars references, so I must say, which character would Star Wars story suffer the most if it lost, Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader? Both are essential, but a story is only as good as its more complex villians.

Davos not being listed as a main character? He's worth any two Starks as a human being.

Ned was written to be liked and was a protagonist, GRRM intended for you to like him, he's literally the good guy in the story, if you dislike him, you're reading it wrong.

I can't stand Ned, he is the most annoying, judgmental, hypocritical man in the series.

I don't see why people are saying you need to like the Starks to enjoy the books; the books are immensely enjoyable, it has a large world which really sucks you in and it has other characters that people like and find interesting.

:agree:

Actually, i enjoyed the books not because of Ned, but because he was captured, i thought finally this incompetent idiot will be dismissed. His dead was too much, i have never wished it.

I understand the reasons why almost everyone likes them, but I found/find them (with exception of Jon Snow) extremely boring/annoying.

Ned: This guy lived in a "black and white"-world. You're good as long as you're honorable, but if you do something "unhonorable" no matter what reasons you had you're bad.

Robb: A teenage boy who acted so "honorable", but when he saw two pretty eyes he forgot all his oaths.

Sansa (pre-AFfC): Annoying, superficial teenager.

Arya: How can someone like this annoying little psycho assassin?

Bran: His POV's are terrible... is that a valid reason?

Rickon: What the fuck is a Rickon?!

What's your opinion? Please don't get offensive just because I don't like these guys. :ack:

THANK YOU! glad someone else said it!

as for the others, I loved Jon and Sansa, they are some of my fav characters, Bran I find boring and getting a little creepy now but as a character I'm pretty much indifferent to him. arya can be fascinating at times but I wouldn't say I like her. rickon well... who cares? and Robb i'm ok with.

I can't stand Ned, he is the most annoying, judgmental, hypocritical man in the series.

:agree:

Actually, i enjoyed the books not because of Ned, but because he was captured, i thought finally this incompetent idiot will be dismissed. His dead was too much, i have never wished it.

THANK YOU!!!

Ned was written to be liked and was a protagonist, GRRM intended for you to like him, he's literally the good guy in the story, if you dislike him, you're reading it wrong.

to dislike a protagonist is not "reading it wrong" it's forming your own opinion of a person, just like you do in real life. I watch the walking dead and I enjoy the show and Rick Grimes is the protagonist, yet I can't stand him (he's so much like Ned OMG), neither could I stand sookie in true blood or Jack and Kate in lost... or walter white in breaking bad... (no not even in the beginning, I understood he was a manipulating asshole from the beginning!)

Well, this isn't a hate-thread. As I said I understand the reasons why they're so loved. They're the typical good guys, but that makes them so uninteresting and boring to me. Characters like Jaime or Tyrion are so wonderful "realistic" and inscrutable. They've done some dark things but had their reasons for. Tywin also belongs to this group I think (if you see his deeds in the eyes of a medieval feudal lord the most makes perfect sense). I just can't identify with the Starks. They're so... inhuman good. When I read Jaime POV's I think "Yes, I understand you bro.".

...but you also dislike Arya because she's a psycho assassin, which she is. That's hardly "inhuman good." Rickon is vicious and wild, like his wolf. Bran will be lethal, when he develops all his powers. Sansa might turn into LF with tits. It's fine to dislike the Starks, but disliking them because they're too good for this world doesn't make sense.

btw, I love Tywin, Roose, LF, as characters in a novel. They're absolutely perfect villains.

Archived