Game of Thrones Episodic Game Released

Westeros

It changes nothing anyway. I kinda was hoping my actions and words would lead to different conclusions and paths.

That's not true. It changes things. The ending of the first episode was the same no matter how you played it, but there are changes and the paths can look different.

*emerges from hibernation*

Eeee, I loved Episode 1, can't wait for the second. Cracked up at how Asher's this angry badass but speaks with a quizzical tenor. The Boars, Gore, and Swords podcast did a great review of the first episode. One of their comments was "Such idiots, thinking we were smarter than the canon characters. We actually thought we could negotiate with Ramsay!" I love the VA work the show actors are doing. Playing as Mira, Cersei is terrifying.

It was really fun getting

Ned Starked at the end of Ep. 1,

hope the thrills continue.

Just watched the play-through of it (doesn't come out on Xbox till tomorrow, but I couldn't wait to see it):

Holy shit, that episode was amazing. The pace is slower than episode 1, but is no less tension-filled. Asher isn't in it as much as I thought he would be, but that's because Rodrik is back from the dead! He's our POV at Ironrath, and damn, is he in a bad state. He literally comes home on the corpse cart next to his father. I don't want to give away too much of the story, but there's a lot more politicking in this one than in the last one...Asher and Gared are the ones that really provide us with our 'fighting' with Rodrik and Mira provide some serious tension. We get Jon Snow, as expected, and I was actually really impressed with what they did with his character. We finally see his reaction to the Red Wedding- something we didn't really get in either the books or the show, and something I always wanted to hear from his perspective. I'm also starting to question the wisdom of allying with Tyrion, given that the wedding is right around the corner- and we know how that ends for him. The ending made me cry. Can't wait to see what others think of it.

Just watched the play-through of it (doesn't come out on Xbox till tomorrow, but I couldn't wait to see it):

Holy shit, that episode was amazing. The pace is slower than episode 1, but is no less tension-filled. Asher isn't in it as much as I thought he would be, but that's because Rodrik is back from the dead! He's our POV at Ironrath, and damn, is he in a bad state. He literally comes home on the corpse cart next to his father. I don't want to give away too much of the story, but there's a lot more politicking in this one than in the last one...Asher and Gared are the ones that really provide us with our 'fighting' with Rodrik and Mira provide some serious tension. We get Jon Snow, as expected, and I was actually really impressed with what they did with his character. We finally see his reaction to the Red Wedding- something we didn't really get in either the books or the show, and something I always wanted to hear from his perspective. I'm also starting to question the wisdom of allying with Tyrion, given that the wedding is right around the corner- and we know how that ends for him. The ending made me cry. Can't wait to see what others think of it.

Eee! Can't wait! Gah, I didn't see Ep. 2 up in the PS store. Do you have to buy the season pass? I figured it wouldn't make any savings since I'd already purchased the first episode.

Regarding knowing certain things can't happen, like RamRam dying, eh, doesn't really bother me. Frack, Dumas had the same problem in that he couldn't really kill Richelieu. It was still baller reading His Grey Eminence admitting our little punk D'Artagnan got one-up on him.

Eee! Can't wait! Gah, I didn't see Ep. 2 up in the PS store. Do you have to buy the season pass? I figured it wouldn't make any savings since I'd already purchased the first episode.

Regarding knowing certain things can't happen, like RamRam dying, eh, doesn't really bother me. Frack, Dumas had the same problem in that he couldn't really kill Richelieu. It was still baller reading His Grey Eminence admitting our little punk D'Artagnan got one-up on him.

Well, I just worry that Mira pinning the Forresters' hopes on Tyrion helping them is a very, very bad idea. Not that she has much choice, really.

EEE! SO GOOD! Fuck, the tension was way higher in this one...or maybe it was my cold apartment. I've only played through once, so have yet to continue my second save slot. This one's my Middle Road one, Save Slot 2 is my Unfettered playthrough.

• Asher! He's such a little cutie. The option to Flip a Table made my day. Quite like his sexy sellsword lady-friend. I opted to stay her hand because was she really going to stab through a wobbly screen and a helm?
  • Gared is dull (when will the poultice come in handy?), but it was neat seeing Jon. I like how savvy he seems from an outsider's POV. Also, fuck both those recruit punks. That dagger's ending up in someone's kidneys. I just hope it ain't mine. It's in Cottar's sleeve right now.
  • Roderik is metal as hell...I admittedly have a happy-button weakness for wounded badasses forced into situations where they need nerves of steel and icy pokerfaces. I thought he'd have to beat the snot out of that soldier blocking the stairs. He won Elaena's heart, sans Mira's help. Horrifically uncomfortable decision was to submit to Whitehill--RP-wise, Roderik was pretty sure Whitehill would assault him and ruin his fragile engagement with Elaena. (My Unfettered playthrough will feature "Back from the dead and giving zero fucks" Roderik so...ehee, looking forward to it.)
  • Mira got Margaery roughed up last episode, so no way was she risking her wrath by forging a letter...plus, if Roddy boy couldn't even woo a childhood sweetheart, House Forrester is fucked already. Heartrate skyrocketed when Margaery gave her the seal...Mira miiiight've played too much Zelda back in the Ironrath grove, so she'd pocketed the key. Holy shit, this POV is TENSE. Vexing the merchants was nifty.
  • What did everyone do with the Lannister dickface? This dude's joining the Dark Star Club of smarmy jackasses who can't even kill a little girl. In this playthrough, Mira saved her coal-boy little bird. But really, fluffernutter, you chuck the dagger into a flowerbush? I chose "toss it" thinking she'd throw it in the ocean ten feet away, but egads! Say though...(RP-wise, this was going through her head as she fled to hide in that flagon of Cersei wine)...Lannister doofus couldn't have gotten out of her room unseen if he was the noisemaker. So, I guess Coal Boy was in there and read the note, then ducked into a passage. Maybe messed her room up as a "don't trust the note!" message, I dunno. Seems odd the soldier would trash her room and still expect her to meet him after dark. Anyhoodle, Coal Boy's got some explaining to do. I don't think Mira's in immediate danger over the guard. Would anyone take "scrawny little girl murdered big armored professional guard and dragged the body away" seriously? Then again, Cersei's in town, so everybody and their dog is in danger.
  • I like how this game gives you a look at the non-peasant little guys. Not the "fuckin' highborns!" crowd, but those low on the nobility foodchain. Tyrion don't give a fuck about throwing you to the lions...he'd just prefer not to. Last time Mira invites him to have a drink with two fetching handmaidens.
  • The end was neat. Ha, I knew Ser Royland was a softie. Stuff's gearing up!
  • Oh, Maester Whatshisface. "Remind her you're still a man" WTF?! What kind of surgery was that!? Either he's a virginal doofus or he's an agent there to get the secret of the North Grove.
  • I'm also expecting Talia and Duncan to meet after dark, smoke some cigarettes, and plan how they're really going to save House Forrester, as they seem like Ironrath's best and brightest.

Slower than the first but I thought they did a good job of building up the tempo. There was lots of jumping around as the episode went on but it worked out. Ironwrath remains the most interesting place. Rodrick living was a good twist and I am a person who generally dislikes that kind of thing. I remain suspicious of the maester but think Duncan and Ser Royland are good fellows even if they make mistakes now and then. Talia was my favorite character at the end of episode one and she remains that at episode two. She needs to meet up with Gared! He looked at her necklace. The Asher stuff was well done. We will have to see where this is going. Seeing Jon Snow at the Wall was enjoyable. Frostfinger was good but all I could think was how he should be Ser Alliser. The Gared and Asher stuff this episode was all set up. I am curious to see how it will be next episode. I felt that the King's Landing stuff last episode felt out of place and slowed down the pace. I enjoyed it this episode and I suspect we will have the wedding next time. At the end of episode one Talia and Ser Royland were my favorite characters and I added Serra to my list at the end of this one.

Figures out Spoiler button so...

Wow, couldn't believe it when Rodrik "came back to life" on that dead cart lol, thought he would just be some no name who got killed at the start of E1.

Sorts out the Asher issue of him taking over when he comes back

Enjoyed being in Yunkai with Asher, liked his relationship with the sellsword chick and the bar fight which came on quicker then red wedding

Was glad I chose the "Crown can only buy Ironwood through House Forrester" option with Tyrion (thought I made a mistake right after as I was pushing them toward war when I went the diplomatic path in E1) when Lord Whitehill started being a jerk and demanding the kissing of rings and taking back the half of the ironwood Forest the Forresters were allowed to keep in E1 when I didn't repeat the mistake of kneeling before Ramsay. The mother can whinge about no Ryon at a funeral, but the issues of a 4th born son pale in comparison to having Lord of Ironrath kneeling and kissing the ring of local enemy of centuries

Managed to convince Eleana to go ahead with the marriage without Mira's help (hehe, not going to piss Margaery off twice)

Then the guard trying to kill her only for Little bird Coal boy to intervene, I was expecting Ser Dontos lol, wonder if it is Littlefinger or Ser Dontos behind it, probably Littlefinger who has some deal with the Whitehill "Merchant" negotiators, Sera is most likely to be a Cersei plant despite Marge "trusting" her, she already drinks her wine, right before she tries to inject herself between Mira and Marge to "drive a wedge" (lol, maybe I'm being over suspicious, if so shows the games worked), though I was sympathetic at the time. Kind of regret tossing the knife, could have been useful but didn't want to get caught with the evidence lol

With Gared I chose the "I will stand option", sounds suspiciously like Gared is heading for a "pink letter" moment with Talia. As for Cotter and the bully guy, I am trying to placate both of them, eg not being too aggressive although I am tacitly standing up for Cotter with the knife up his sleeve. Both will come in handy (Bully good in a fight once he's onside and thief good with NW politics, eg contents of letters more important than purse etc), though one of them is probably headed toward being a Mormont back-stabber type (or perhaps one will be pro Alliser and one pro Thorne). Was surprised we didn't get Ser Alliser Thorne or anything tbh, maybe later when the Wildings attack

It's short but only $US 30 so not a full on game, have to say Telltale are doing a great job and I've been enjoying this as they've quite captured the vibe etc, the differences are probably only minor as they can only spread the story so much (then again maybe differences are small in first episodes but more major at the end?) but there is some tension when playing and you can certainly affect the flavour

Once again might sound odd but one of the small things I love is the adult themes and casual swearing thrown in with all the soppy family moments, a refreshing reprieve from the whole "think of the children" and political correctness forced into everything these days

hehe

"You....fuck potatoes?"

The friendship with Mira and Serra looks like it could go somewhere. :ph34r:

lol

Hopefully they come across Ellaria Sand....

Coal Boy would be devestated

Hope we don't see any of them get sent to Qyburn (shudders), just hearing that Ramsay Snow was coming to Ironrath had me worried

Am hoping we get to see Oberyn/Pedro Pascal doing some voice acting as the next episode seems to be coming across the Purple Wedding

Generally speaking the voice acting has been good, from the arguing Sentinels in particular

Makes me wonder when E6 ends

They can always do a sequel set in later seasons

This game continues to impress hugely, although the wait between episodes does not. Another 6 weeks before the next one...

Rodrick is alive! I honestly thought he'd be more crippled than he actually was, and that they were going to amputate his leg because the wound had festered. That would have been very much in keeping with the tone of the books and the show, but they gave him a pass. He's an awesome character though. I felt pretty pleased with myself securing his marriage pact, as it said afterwards only 38% of people managed to do it. Kind of regret having him kiss Whitehall's ring though.

Asha is a pretty kickass character, although I was disappointed they didn't give us more of a reaction about his father's and in particular Rodrick's death (as the messenger would have told him). Would have liked more information about that relationship. On the other hand, looks like he also could be the game's Dany and be stuck in Essos for the remaining episodes. A note on gameplay; the first time they were hiding and the guard was searching for them, I opted to kill the guard and fucked up in the fighting and got myself killed. When it reloaded, I went to the save point before I had to make my decision, and so I changed it. Don't know if this is a mistake on the game's part, but its the first time I've been able to get a second chance at a decision mid-game. I'll be looking out to see how often this happens.

Absolutely love Mira's story. Her dealings with Tyrion, her delicate relationship with Margaery, the interesting twist with her fellow handmaiden. I sort of want to go back now and see what happens if I do forge that letter; I had a strong feeling I would get caught if I did, so I played it safe. When I got to the end, I was shocked to see that more than half the players actually kept the dagger. This is Westeros people, not CSI! They can't take your fingerprints; the only way they can connect you to the dagger is by finding it on you! Get rid of the damn thing!

Though Gared's story probably is the slowest, there's still plenty of positives, including some time with Jon, and the conflicts with other recruits. Would like to go back and see if you can avoid fighting Finn. This arc does promise much for the future though, and if he is made a ranger, we can expect to have a brush with the White Walkers pretty soon.

One final thought: I looked ahead at the episode names, #6 is called "Ice Dragon". :drool:

Archived