Game of Thrones Episodic Game Released

Westeros

Today marks the release of Telltale Games‘s Game of Thrones game, featuring the company’s well-known focus on story and character combined with the Game of Thrones license and participation from several of the actors from the TV series. We’re looking at getting a review of our own out in the coming days, but here’s a few from the gaming media across the web:

• IGN gives it an 8.0.: “Tough decisions, well-acted original characters in interesting situations, and a strong, provocative ending kick off Telltaleâs new Game of Thrones series in a great way. Its nature as a side-story to the HBO show means we wonât get to decide the fate of Westeros, but this introduction is convincing evidence that the future of House Forrester puts enough at stake to make choices matter.”
  • Polygon gives it a 6.5: “Which is the problem with “Iron from Ice”: We have no idea how these decisions will pay off or punish us down the road. It feels like a slow episode of the show, and although the story could go into a few interesting directions, as it stands it often feels like you’re simply standing on the periphery of much greater struggles.”
  • Total Biscuit shows the first few minutes of the game as he discusses it’s pluses and minuses. He notes that the play time is 2-2.5 hours for this first entry in the episodic series.

Visit the Site!

Over on the Game of Thrones Wiki we're not sure if this is "TV canon" -- we're treating it as "near-canon" because it doesn't contradict that much.

A thought occurs:

• This game is set to coincide with Season 4, starting with the Red Wedding (end of Season 3) and ending just before Season 5 starts.
  • Mira Forrester is one of Margaery Tyrell's handmaidens, as a fly-on-the-wall of sorts so the storyline keeps one foot in King's Landing, with Tyrion, Cersei, Margaery, etc. As if the camera actually followed around the subplots of the handmaidens who appear in the background of episodes.
  • Logically, Mira might stumble upon Jaime and Cersei having sex in the Great Sept in "Breaker of Chains", viewing secretly from a distance.
  • In which case, the game could use this as an opportunity to "refilm" that entire scene. Director Alex Graves pushed the "Dark and edgy" camerawork to the point that ''universally'' viewer reaction was to think that Jaime was raping Cersei, when both the writers and actors said that was not how they wrote and played it at all. Something like the camerawork in the video game not being as violent or actually explicitly showing Cersei shouting "Yes! Yes!" or something. SOME sort of token gesture, instead of pretending that such a failure never happened. By the same logic, I think they ignore mistakes in on-screen subtitles for Valyrian etc. because they don't want to acknowledge any mistakes, instead of addressing them.

i would like to say that the game is amazing. the story in it is really good and the ending of the first episode is a real game of thrones style shock very impressed by this game in general considering i wasn't expecting much. also i hope they can slot in some iron islands story somewhere it could foreshadow euron and victarion in season 5/6. i would give the first episode a 8/10.

I'm confident in saying that's not going to happen whatsoever.

...which part? Fixing the episode on Blu-ray release.....or that even the video game would make no attempt to mirror these events?

Or the status of the game viz "TV continuity"? (I'm treating it as "near-canon" because I respect that Telltale itself respects the source material and seems to have tried fairly hard to make something which plausibly fits in the TV universe tonally and fact-wise, instead of just slapping out a bad, totally invented House. I like that they picked minor Houses we know nothing about from the books).

<p>

Over on the Game of Thrones Wiki we're not sure if this is "TV canon" -- we're treating it as "near-canon" because it doesn't contradict that much.

A thought occurs:

• This game is set to coincide with Season 4, starting with the Red Wedding (end of Season 3) and ending just before Season 5 starts.
  • Mira Forrester is one of Margaery Tyrell's handmaidens, as a fly-on-the-wall of sorts so the storyline keeps one foot in King's Landing, with Tyrion, Cersei, Margaery, etc. As if the camera actually followed around the subplots of the handmaidens who appear in the background of episodes.
  • Logically, Mira might stumble upon Jaime and Cersei having sex in the Great Sept in "Breaker of Chains", viewing secretly from a distance.
  • In which case, the game could use this as an opportunity to "refilm" that entire scene. Director Alex Graves pushed the "Dark and edgy" camerawork to the point that ''universally'' viewer reaction was to think that Jaime was raping Cersei, when both the writers and actors said that was not how they wrote and played it at all. Something like the camerawork in the video game not being as violent or actually explicitly showing Cersei shouting "Yes! Yes!" or something. SOME sort of token gesture, instead of pretending that such a failure never happened. By the same logic, I think they ignore mistakes in on-screen subtitles for Valyrian etc. because they don't want to acknowledge any mistakes, instead of addressing them.

I think you need to readjust your tin foil hat mate.

Game spoilers ahead:

What the fuck was that ending man. It's so freaking depressing. Ramsay is one fucking asshole and Lord Whitehill man. Ethan is dead, Ryon is a hostage of the Whitehills, Talia and Lady Forrester are alright for the moment. Mira and Asher are the only legitimate hope of House Forrester. Gared is at the Wall to be hopefully useful to the Night's Watch

My prediction: Ryon or Asher is going to kill Lord Whitehill.

Spoilers deleted.

Spoilers, man!

Started playing the game yesterday. My thoughts:

The good:

- art style is nice and goes well with GoT

- the map intro is in :)

- character motivations so far have been developed properly and are plausible

- it's not too hard for beginners, controls are simple

- certain actions have long-lasting effects on the people you interact with

The bad:

- you have no idea how these effects are going to play out eventually

- dialogue options must be chosen really, really quickly (sometimes I barely had time to finish reading before the timer ran out)

- very short game (played an hour, maybe an hour and half and am already halfway through)

- camera angles can be pretty weird and clunky

The ugly:

- 30 dollars for too little value (if you decide after finishing episode 1 that you don't want to play the rest after all)

Overall, it's not a bad game, but it's definitely not worth 30 dollars on day 1. Wait until it's on sale for 10 or 15.

It's 30 dollars for the whole season. Which is an honest price in itself, though not having the opportunity to buy each episode individually is somehow ugly.

Yeah, I just noticed that, too. Still, right now I only get one episode. What if I don't like that episode? 30 Dollars down the drain for two hours of gameplay? Not exactly a very consumer-friendly business practice.

Oh good, another Telltale game where you have infinite choices of being either a sane person, a complete moron or a different breed of moron. Huzzah! Needless to say I was a sane person and promptly got what I assumed to be the "bad" ending. Though I'm not sure if there are multiple endings at all to be honest.

Still, fun little casual game, worth the price. Screen tearing and frame rate issues aside (like all Telltale games), not bad.

Archived