Suicide Squad -- A David Ayer Film

Bastard of Boston

I'm not sold on Jay Leno's Jared Leto's Joker. Not only do I not feel he's inhabiting the character like I did with Ledger, and Hamil too for that matter, I don't even feel from the trailer entertained like with Nicholson's.

When I look at him I want him to be punched in the face. Which is ok for a Batman villain, but not if that's the only thing.

1 hour ago, JonArryn said:

The latest trailer brought my expectations down a bit for this movie. As another poster said, it looks like they don't really know what tone they want for the movie. Is it realistic or over the top, is it gritty or not, is it fun or more serious? Looks like they try to get a bit in of all of that and it might be too much actually. And they could have given Margot Robbie a better costume. I'm sure she'll be good in the role, but seriously, what is that outfit they've given her.

I'm really not understanding how anyone watching that trailer can think it's a film trying to be realistic or serious in any manner whatsoever. 

40 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm really not understanding how anyone watching that trailer can think it's a film trying to be realistic or serious in any manner whatsoever. 

Ok. And since when is a trailer representative of a whole movie? I definitely think they will be going for some serious moments in the movie, but maybe they won't. What I more was going at was that I thought that DC in general would be going in a different direction then Marvel, being more serious and more gritty, but with humor sprinkled in. This looked kind of like their version of Guardians of the Galaxy. But I'm not gonna judge it before I see it.

And of course I don't mean being realistic in a regular sense of speaking, but I was thinking that in terms of superhero stories that DC would be going for more grounded and a bit toned down compared to Marvel. Or maybe Suicide Squad will be doing a different tone compared to other DC movies.

36 minutes ago, JonArryn said:

Ok. And since when is a trailer representative of a whole movie?

It's not, but since the trailer is all we have to go on, that's what we're all talking about, and when you said

3 hours ago, JonArryn said:

The latest trailer brought my expectations down a bit for this movie. As another poster said, it looks like they don't really know what tone they want for the movie. Is it realistic or over the top, is it gritty or not, is it fun or more serious? Looks like they try to get a bit in of all of that and it might be too much actually. 

it certainly didn't seem like you'd seen the whole film, or that you were talking about the wider universe.

But hey. 

Personally, I'm also really pleased that we've had two trailers now but still don't actually know very much. It is possible to market a movie without giving it all away! We don't even know who the main baddie is yet, ffs, although it seems like it could be Enchantress or something she unleashes. 

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm not quite sure what it is that people are seeing in that trailer that is exciting them, but for me its the final nail in the coffin for my interest in this movie.  It has almost confirmed my worst fears for what is going on.

Everything about that trailer suggests a desperate attempt at giving this movie 'an edge', which ties into the way they've promoted it previously, the recent posters etc. But unfortunately everything else about the movie comes off as hugely unimaginative and confused. In the way that the TV show Gotham has very little idea of what it is, is it realistic? is it hyper realised and styled? Is it an odd mismatch of numerous visions. SS seems to have the same problem. To me it looks like a watered down vision of the Arkham games, where they have bottled out of many of darker elements. 

Everything feels strangely safe and corporate about it, as if the heads of the studio are like 'what do the kids like these days' , it reminds me hugely of the Poochie episode of Simpsons. 

If you are going to do Suicide Squad then it needs a lot more vision and imagination. Every shot in that trailer was flat, almost cheap (how many times do movies have to be filmed at night so that you don't see the lack of budget). 

I'm utterly unimpressed.

That's the point.

Suicide Squad, the comics, IS an odd combo of dark, funny and weird. The tone/mood/vibe changes with every character you see on the panel at the time. 

3 hours ago, JonArryn said:

The latest trailer brought my expectations down a bit for this movie. As another poster said, it looks like they don't really know what tone they want for the movie. Is it realistic or over the top, is it gritty or not, is it fun or more serious? Looks like they try to get a bit in of all of that and it might be too much actually. And they could have given Margot Robbie a better costume. I'm sure she'll be good in the role, but seriously, what is that outfit they've given her.

See my post above, that's what the Suicide Squad comic book is. It won't be for everyone, just like the comic series is. 

Archived