Telltale's Game of Thrones: Spoilers Are Coming

l2 0 5 5

I thought the graphics was pretty much the same as before. And by that, I mean terrible. Even 10 years ago games had better graphics. Seriously, I love the game, but the technical side of it is just so bad. No option to change controls, next to no graphics options, horrible mouse movement, sometimes bad animations, bad lip-syncing... I get that they're focusing on the story, but damn. Maybe they should stop working on five or six games at the same time and concentrate on the ones currently being released.

I thought the graphics was pretty much the same as before. And by that, I mean terrible. Even 10 years ago games had better graphics. Seriously, I love the game, but the technical side of it is just so bad. No option to change controls, next to no graphics options, horrible mouse movement, sometimes bad animations, bad lip-syncing... I get that they're focusing on the story, but damn. Maybe they should stop working on five or six games at the same time and concentrate on the ones currently being released.

That's not the issue here. In the beginning there was only walking dead season 1 and it still looked trash.

That's not the issue here. In the beginning there was only walking dead season 1 and it still looked trash.

But why bother with better graphics if you're piggybacking in a successful TV show? Telltale will still have plenty of sales from GoT fans anyway. As for people not watching the show, how many would purchase the game anyway?

But why bother with better graphics if you're piggybacking in a successful TV show? Telltale will still have plenty of sales from GoT fans anyway. As for people not watching the show, how many would purchase the game anyway?

??

What I mean is that there are no financial incentives for Telltale to improve their games graphics

They have amazing graphics- just some people don't care for the "oil painting" style of this particular game. The Wolf Among Us is gorgeous, as is Tales from the Borderlands.

They need to improve their engine- nothing else is problematic.

I personally love the game play Telltale uses. As a huge gamer my entire life, I am tired of mashing buttons. This format is perfect for storytelling, and that is what I want now out of games. The art direction is awesome in this game as well.

I agree with Howdyphillip. When I started playing their Walking Dead game the graphics put me off a little, but I'm so glad I persevered. The graphics are good, the style is so different from many other games on the market, and they are only a small part of the package. It's all about telling a story and IMO all the Telltale games I've played (Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, GoT) has done that brilliantly.

I'm hooked on GoT. My Rodrik stood up to Gryff once but stayed down the second time because of what might have happened to Talia. There are so many different decisions in this game and I have no idea if I'm picking the ones that will work out best for the family. That's the beauty of this game - decisions that have a real effect and consequences that you can't predict. I forgot that in the first episode, I had Myra declare her loyalty to Margaery. So when I gave a different answer in this episode Cersei called me out on it.

Once all the six episodes are out, I'm definitely going to replay the game making different choices. I really like all the Forresters, especially Rodrik and Talia,

They have amazing graphics- just some people don't care for the "oil painting" style of this particular game. The Wolf Among Us is gorgeous, as is Tales from the Borderlands.

They need to improve their engine- nothing else is problematic.

I have to strongly disagree with that. GoT and Tales from the Borderlands are far from being gorgeous imo. If you want a gorgeous game, try out Dear Esther or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Now those games are truly beautiful. Telltale games don't even come close. And it's not just the different style either. Dishonored has a similiar visual style, as do the Borderlands games and they look awesome. The problem with GoT is how it's executed. The whole thing feels unfinished.

I have to strongly disagree with that. GoT and Tales from the Borderlands are far from being gorgeous imo. If you want a gorgeous game, try out Dear Esther or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Now those games are truly beautiful. Telltale games don't even come close. And it's not just the different style either. Dishonored has a similiar visual style, as do the Borderlands games and they look awesome. The problem with GoT is how it's executed. The whole thing feels unfinished.

Telltale have to be stylistically "right" for the story they tell. They also don't have the luxury of being insanely detailed because they release on all platforms. The almost 1 gb GoT game on my iPhone is already pushing the limits of what I can play. If I recall correctly, Ethan Carter is only for PC and PS4...so it's not a very fair comparison. If Telltale decided to cut down their platforms, then of course it could look magnificent. But they opt for wide release over artistic integrity.

But I've played TWAU and TFTB on Xbox 1 and iOS and they looked great on both.

nd PS4...so it's not a very fair comparison. If Telltale decided to cut down their platforms, then of course it could look magnificent. But they opt for wide release over artistic integrity.

You see, that's the problem. They could create a great-looking game then downgrade the graphics to suit the different performances of consoles and mobile devices. But they choose the lazy way instead, and have all versions look like crap. There's no way to justify that, in my opinion. Maybe I'm being harsh, but really, the game is full of low resolution textures and low polygon models. They try to mask it away with these blurry filters, but it doesn't really help. Even the characters have a weird glossy aura floating around them. It just looks bad to me.

Life is Strange also released on previous-gen consoles, but it looks a million times better. And it has customizable controls, mouse sensitivity and graphics. If they can do that, why can't Telltale?

You see, that's the problem. They could create a great-looking game then downgrade the graphics to suit the different performances of consoles and mobile devices. But they choose the lazy way instead, and have all versions look like crap. There's no way to justify that, in my opinion. Maybe I'm being harsh, but really, the game is full of low resolution textures and low polygon models. They try to mask it away with these blurry filters, but it doesn't really help. Even the characters have a weird glossy aura floating around them. It just looks bad to me.

Life is Strange also released on previous-gen consoles, but it looks a million times better. And it has customizable controls, mouse sensitivity and graphics. If they can do that, why can't Telltale?

Sorry, but I disagree- Life is Strange has beautiful settings and great storytelling, but the characters are all dead-eyed uncanny valley figurines that have absolutely no emotion to them whatsoever. Telltale is smart to stay away from 'realism' since they want the audience to connect to the characters. People will connect better to cartoonish characters than they will hyper-realistic characters.

I have no issue with the oil painting textures they use in GoT...but they are NOT the same on 'all versions'. I can attest to the fact that the textures are clearer on the new gen consoles than they are on my iPhone...but the point is that it looks okay on both instead of only looking good on one and crap on the other.

I have mentioned The Wolf Among Us several times...you keep avoiding it. But it is a gorgeous game and very stylized...and it's not just my opinion, but the opinion of most who have played it. They did a good job of picking an art style that fit the type of story they were telling and making it highly stylized. The same goes for Borderlands and GoT...they pick an art style to fit the story they are telling, but they never make the mistake of attempting realism...since they know they can never achieve it.

My only real problem with Telltale is their outdated engine and plethora of technical issues. Hopefully they will do something about that before they start on their new series, but it's frustrating right now.

My only real problem with Telltale is their outdated engine and plethora of technical issues. Hopefully they will do something about that before they start on their new series, but it's frustrating right now.

This is the real issue here.

At the beginning of Episode 2, I kept dying when Asher and Beshka were attacked because it kept on freezing and whatnot. Really not a good way to start an episode...

This is the real issue here.

At the beginning of Episode 2, I kept dying when Asher and Beshka were attacked because it kept on freezing and whatnot. Really not a good way to start an episode...

We had the same problem on Xbox One. My husband actually quit playing for a few days until I found a way to get him past it...but it should have never been an issue in the first place.

The second episode on my iPhone kept freezing with each scene change...and it kept repeating the dialogue to the point that I had to take my headphones out and play it without sound. It also is supposed to save my files when I uninstall it from my phone, but it has lost it twice. The other TT games don't do this, so it shouldn't be a problem with this one.

Sorry, but I disagree- Life is Strange has beautiful settings and great storytelling, but the characters are all dead-eyed uncanny valley figurines that have absolutely no emotion to them whatsoever. Telltale is smart to stay away from 'realism' since they want the audience to connect to the characters. People will connect better to cartoonish characters than they will hyper-realistic characters.

I have no issue with the oil painting textures they use in GoT...but they are NOT the same on 'all versions'. I can attest to the fact that the textures are clearer on the new gen consoles than they are on my iPhone...but the point is that it looks okay on both instead of only looking good on one and crap on the other.

I have mentioned The Wolf Among Us several times...you keep avoiding it. But it is a gorgeous game and very stylized...and it's not just my opinion, but the opinion of most who have played it. They did a good job of picking an art style that fit the type of story they were telling and making it highly stylized. The same goes for Borderlands and GoT...they pick an art style to fit the story they are telling, but they never make the mistake of attempting realism...since they know they can never achieve it.

My problem isn't with the realism though. I don't want the game to be more realistic. It's just that I don't like the overall picture, it's not consistent. Sometimes it looks great, then other times it looks awful. I think it looked worst at Castle Black. They really went too far with the blurriness there. Not to mention the weird rippling aura people seem to have. It looks strange and glitchy. I know that they were going for a kind of oil painting style, but it doesn't always work.

The reason I keep avoiding TWAU is because I haven't actually played it yet. Don't ask me why, I really have no idea.

My problem isn't with the realism though. I don't want the game to be more realistic. It's just that I don't like the overall picture, it's not consistent. Sometimes it looks great, then other times it looks awful. I think it looked worst at Castle Black. They really went too far with the blurriness there. Not to mention the weird rippling aura people seem to have. It looks strange and glitchy. I know that they were going for a kind of oil painting style, but it doesn't always work.

The reason I keep avoiding TWAU is because I haven't actually played it yet. Don't ask me why, I really have no idea.

Actually, I agree that it sometimes looks beautiful and sometimes doesn't. Landscapes are amazing to look at...characters are hit or miss. But I don't expect it to have amazing graphics, is what I'm saying. That's not their forte.

Can anybody enjoy a videogame anymore without bitching about the graphics? Are you guys 13 years old? The graphics are not even bad, the art style Telltale uses is deliberate. It's supposed to look like a comic-book. Next you'll be whining about the lack of multiplayer.

Can anybody enjoy a videogame anymore without bitching about the graphics? Are you guys 13 years old? The graphics are not even bad, the art style Telltale uses is deliberate. It's supposed to look like a comic-book. Next you'll be whining about the lack of multiplayer.

Can anybody participate in a discussion without bitching about somebody else having a different opinion?

Can anybody participate in a discussion without bitching about somebody else having a different opinion?

Never

No, but the graphics sure look 13 years old. My problem was that the graphics looked noticeably worse and made it feel like they rushed this episode out. Among many other complaints, of course. I just think this is just a plain bad game with a comically bad storyline and characters. I'm not saying a different style could work better because I don't think it's really a video game type of story, but what they did with it is cringe-worthy.

Archived