It's official. Benedict Cumberbatch is Strange. The Doctor.

Bastard of Boston

What I want to know is where in the grander timeline this movie's story takes place. Considering that his name was mentioned in The Winter Soldier as a threat to Hydra, I should think this origin story will precede a fair number of the recent MCU movies.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

What I want to know is where in the grander timeline this movie's story takes place. Considering that his name was mentioned in The Winter Soldier as a threat to Hydra, I should think this origin story will precede a fair number of the recent MCU movies.

I suspect we'll get the first part being set some years ago, then a training montage, then the main portion of the movie being around about the current time in-universe.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

Feige made a general comment about it a few years ago saying the format was tired. That said, for new franchises some explanation needs to be provided. I think he meant an entire film about an origin is tired in the sense people expect the sequel to be the "good" one.

rumham makes a good point regarding the Marvel brand making the trailer worthwhile more than the trailer itself.

I think certain characters are to a point where they don't require an origin story any more.  Like, does anyone really need to see Peter Parker getting bitten by a spider or Batman's parents getting shot again?  We know those stories.  We've seen them a billion times now.  However, Strange is a much lesser-known character, so it makes sense to show his origins.  I doubt the average fan knows them.  I'm generally a more hardcore comic fan than most, and I couldn't tell you Strange's origin story two days ago.  The trailer reminded me of some stuff, but before I watched that yesterday I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm drawn and sort of put off by this one.  The point where it looks like he's been pushed out of his body seems rather... odd to me and the "teach me" seems desperate in an unpleasant way.

Surely magic should look odd?

And he is desperate he's driven by the loss of his abilities as a surgeon. He wants desperately to be good at something.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

I think certain characters are to a point where they don't require an origin story any more.  Like, does anyone really need to see Peter Parker getting bitten by a spider or Batman's parents getting shot again?  We know those stories.  We've seen them a billion times now.  However, Strange is a much lesser-known character, so it makes sense to show his origins.  I doubt the average fan knows them.  I'm generally a more hardcore comic fan than most, and I couldn't tell you Strange's origin story two days ago.  The trailer reminded me of some stuff, but before I watched that yesterday I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything.

To be honest, I know his origin and very little beyond that (although the comics have been building him up fairly well of late). Egotistical surgeon cripples his hands in an accident (maybe drink related) and winds up in Tibet/mystical asia and gets to be a super awesome sorcerer.

As long as this part is less than 40 minutes I'm fine. I'm more interested in what they do afterwards because I don't know much about the comic version otherwise. I'd be interested if anyone knows of "classic" stories with him. He seems to mainly work within teams or a guest star. Visually he should be suited to cinema in the way that Blade and Iron Man work better there.

• 3 months later...

I've been hesitating ton visit this thread since it popped up, mainly because of the casting. I wanted the trailer to at least draw me in because then I could tell myself even though, in my opinion, it was another missed opportunity to include asian actors, they at least made a phenomenal movie. But this trailer disappointed. The "he's not ready"/"but he's the one" shtick isn't something that interests me at all. And perhaps ironically, neither is the "Asia is mystic" angle. Will definitely be missing this one.

1.  I don't like how the British are invading us again, with their actors and talent judges.   It's time for a roundup of these cheeky chaps and then into a vat of the Nikelodeon green slime before having their visas revoked and sent back to the motherland.   Cumberbatch.   Tilda.   Tilda ruins the appeal of everything she's cast in.   That's why she was a bad move, in addition to not matching the comics.

2.   Where's the purple streamers of mystic energy?   The purple cloud of demon-smoke that's supposed to be seeping into our realm or emerging from Cumberbatch's armpits as he casts a spell?    What's with this Inception style shattered reality business?   That's not as good.  When multiple realities are just splintered-off alternate versions of our universe, that's not a trip worth taking.   Might as well just stay here.  The reason you'd want to be this male witch is so you could punch through the veil all the way and arrive at wildly DIFFERENT realities, demonic realms, energy-rich dimensions where anything is possible.  I don't wanna just go to Earth #284 where Nixon was found innocent or whatever.

24 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

1.  I don't like how the British are invading us again, with their actors and talent judges.   It's time for a roundup of these cheeky chaps and then into a vat of the Nikelodeon green slime before having their visas revoked and sent back to the motherland.   Cumberbatch.   Tilda.   Tilda ruins the appeal of everything she's cast in.   That's why she was a bad move, in addition to not matching the comics.

This sounds incredibly Trumpish to me. Are you clowning? Not clowning? I sense clowns.

Even as a Marvel-geek.... I never read the backstory of Stephen Strange.... This will be the first movie they've made where I'm coming in completely clueless .... Dr Strange was a character who would show up in the titles I read... and I would see him do his thing.... but I really don't know much about.

So... in that regard, I'm looking forward to the experience of no expectations... 

On 7/24/2016 at 9:52 PM, Corvinus said:

This sounds incredibly Trumpish to me. Are you clowning? Not clowning? I sense clowns.

Well it's okay if they invade because they're white English-speaking and probably Protestant or of Protestant descent you see. 

On the subject of Eggs Benedict Cumberballs doing Doctor Strange, I think it's a fantastic casting decision. I was never a huge fan of these superhero movies and apart from Alan Moore and Frank Miller I've never read a superhero comic in my life but there's something different about this one. I think the character of Doctor Strange has the most interesting character arc of any superhero. 

6 minutes ago, Alan of Rosby said:

I think the character of Doctor Strange has the most interesting character arc of any superhero. 

How can you possibly judge this if you've only ever read Moore and Miller superhero books?

On 24/07/2016 at 9:52 PM, Corvinus said:

Has to be clowning. While I think her casting in this particular film is an issue, in general Tilda Swinton in your movie can only possibly be A Good Thing and therefore anyone saying the opposite cannot be being serious.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

How can you possibly judge this if you've only ever read Moore and Miller superhero books?

Of any superhero that I've seen on film or TV, or that I'm aware of. I thought that was implicit, I did say I'm not a huge comic book buff.

35 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I wonder if the Tibetan temple Strange was hanging out in is just across the valley where Iron Fist has been training... 

Probably but only Iron Fist will ever mention it. There's another valley where Bruce Wayne trained in the next valley over too

Tibetan monks must constantly be picking up rich white folks to teach them mad skilz and the error of their ways.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

Probably but only Iron Fist will ever mention it. There's another valley where Bruce Wayne trained in the next valley over too

Tibetan monks must constantly be picking up rich white folks to teach them mad skilz and the error of their ways.

Right!?!

Rand: Strange! Dr. Strange! So surreal seeing you here in Greenwich. Remember me? We bumped into each other at the tea house near our respective monasteries. You went on about some out of body experience and I shared this energy thing they're teaching me.

Strange: Never seen you before. That would make my unique life experience less so.

Wayne: But we said we'd be friends even when we got home.

Chandler Jarrell: I, I, Want the knife.... Please.... 

Archived