Who is Coldhands?

The most obvious choice is that Coldhands is Benjen Stark. Anybody else have an idea?

I agree and I don't find Leaf's "long ago" statement to be a compelling reason to change my mind. The reason I think this is because, of course, believing Leaf's saying "they killed him long ago" absolutely has to mean so long ago that it rules out any possibility that Benjen could be Coldhands requires just as big of an assumption as anything else at this point ;)

I seriously doubt Benjen Stark is Coldhands.

ADwD & TWoIaF Spoilers

Coldhands is probably not a major missing character but rather just a member of the Night's Watch that went Ranging with Brynden Rivers in 252AC. He died whereas Brynden survived in the cave...now he is a Thrall of Bloodraven...similar to the Wights.

Brynden Rivers "Bloodraven" commanded The Raven's Teeth, a company of longbowmen, many of which took the black with Bloodraven, IIRC. Remember all those Ravens who protected Coldhands when he saved Sam, and then continue to travel with them?

Plus Leaf said they killed him long ago. That duration is relative but I don't think 2-3 years can be considered long ago.

Leaf says she is 200 while we know Brynden is 125. When compared to the age of the wall, they are close in age. Compared to the age of Bran, the age difference is huge. Everything is relative.

But in my opinion, when Leaf says Long Ago regarding when 'they' killed Coldhands, I interpret that as longer than 2-3 years ago, which would eliminate Benjen Stark as Coldhands.

I seriously doubt Benjen Stark is Coldhands.

+ ADwD & TWoIaF Spoilers

Totally agree! I have a crazy theory but not sure about it. A long time ago if a very long long time ago to me. I think it's the NK.

As he was human and Stark and seemed to have kept kind a consciousness (still in love with a WWW but had a voice to lead men from the NW) he is different from the others WW. Maybe he had been disposed and/or understand that the world needs balance for if they wipe out humanity or those related to magic (white, ice, warg) they would eventually die. And as a human I think he was the brother of Benjen Star the first (first Stark listed in the lineage of WoIaF in that extend I believe he was erased from the history books for his crimes). There's another Stark who had a cool name I would have loved Coldhands to be him just for that :Cregan Stark The Old Man of the North.

First time using spoiling wasn't sure where and how to, was I right to do so? And what do you think about my theory?

I'm wondering just the same! And why did he took the bloody black? I hope we have some update about him. I'm hoping to see him in the Lands of Always Winter. Sure thing we know is that he is or was somewhere behind the wall. Perhaps he'll have some part to play in the final battle of ice and fire...? Everything so mysterious...

As I said above, I don't find Leaf's "long ago" to be compelling because that requires just as much of an assumption as anything else. However, perhaps even more important than Coldhands' identity is just what he is? I believe he is the same thing as Beric Donderrion, lady Stoneheart (and I believe Melisandre and others besides).

I think he died in the cold North and his extremities froze/turned black and then he was resurrected in the same manner (via sorcery) that Donderrion, etc. were. Remember, Bloodraven was "rumored" to be a sorceror so I believe either he and/or the CotF could resurrect Coldhands this way.

As I said above, I don't find Leaf's "long ago" to be compelling because that requires just as much of an assumption as anything else.

It might be stupid but "long ago" in CotF words is longer than in man's words because they live older.

I think he died in the cold North and his extremities froze/turned black and then he was resurrected in the same manner (via sorcery) that Donderrion, etc. were. Remember, Bloodraven was "rumored" to be a sorceror so I believe either he and/or the CotF could resurrect Coldhands this way.

Remember Jon's hand as a result of the wight touch plus fire. When summer smells it : "dead meat, dry blood, a faint whiff of rot. And cold. Cold all over" But he has black eyes not blue, the real puzzle here. Perhaps the eyes turn blue when you lose all consciousness after being touched by a WW.... And that's when Bloodraven intervened? I agree that he died in the North and might even be a Stark if you read my spoiler

It might be stupid but "long ago" in CotF words is longer than in man's words because they live older.

That's exactly what I mean. The idea that Leaf's "long ago" absolutely has to somehow be tied to or in reference to her lifespan is an assumption - nothing more. In the end, it'll mean exactly how long Martin meant it to.

Remember Jon's hand as a result of the wight touch plus fire. When summer smells it : "dead meat, dry blood, a faint whiff of rot. And cold. Cold all over" But he has black eyes not blue, the real puzzle here. Perhaps the eyes turn blue when you lose all consciousness after being touched by a WW.... And that's when Bloodraven intervened?

I don't understand, are you saying that Ghost smelled Jon's hand and it smelled of "dead meat, dry blood, a faint whiff of rot. And cold. Cold all over"? I thought that was how Coldhands smelled? And, if so, I think him having died in the frozen North and then being resurrected could result in exactly that kind of smell :dunno:

And the "black eyes" - did that refer to their actual color or was it more of a description of them being shadowed? I honestly don't know and I don't remember it being explicitly stated in the text. I just really try to guard against making assumptions, etc.

Nope no sniffing jon's hand just the result of the whight who had touched it and the fire.

"dead meat, dry blood, a faint whiff of rot. And cold. Cold all over" = description of Coldhands. Yep he did die in the north

Black eyes actual color.

Hence (all this) I believe Coldhands was turned into a whight and that somehow it was part reversed or stopped.

Sorry if I don't make a lot of sense, the Frenchie does what she can...

Totally agree! I have a crazy theory but not sure about it. A long time ago if a very long long time ago to me. I think it's the NK.

As he was human and Stark and seemed to have kept kind a consciousness (still in love with a WWW but had a voice to lead men from the NW) he is different from the others WW. Maybe he had been disposed and/or understand that the world needs balance for if they wipe out humanity or those related to magic (white, ice, warg) they would eventually die. And as a human I think he was the brother of Benjen Star the first (first Stark listed in the lineage of WoIaF in that extend I believe he was erased from the history books for his crimes). There's another Stark who had a cool name I would have loved Coldhands to be him just for that :Cregan Stark The Old Man of the North.

First time using spoiling wasn't sure where and how to, was I right to do so? And what do you think about my theory?

Perfect use of the Spoiler tag! Your theory is shared by many as well so it may be correct...we will only know once more books come out.

Thanks for the input guys. I kind of see no how Coldhands couldn't be Benjen, but if he isn't then where th hell is Benjen. Will he be important in the next books or will he just be non-existent?

My opinion is that he is gone and we will never know. He's been gone for a long time now and might be difficult to explain logically where he has been and why. Although there is a theory that Bran foreshadowed what has become of him in AGoT. It is when the Night's Watch come to Winterfell when Robb is the Lord. The NW say something like Benjen is probably dead, been missing, blah blah blah. Robb spats out that he is not dead and gets defensive. Bran remembers Old Nan talking about The Children of the Forest...Bran blurts out The Children, The Children will protect him. Or something like that. I'll need to look it up.

I'm wondering just the same! And why did he took the bloody black? I hope we have some update about him. I'm hoping to see him in the Lands of Always Winter. Sure thing we know is that he is or was somewhere behind the wall. Perhaps he'll have some part to play in the final battle of ice and fire...? Everything so mysterious...

The North still hold the NW in honor and it is not uncommon for men so far down the line of inheritance to take the Black, plus he was really moved by the NW recruiter at the Tourney at Harrenhal. There are other theories as why he took the black but nothing based on text.

As I said above, I don't find Leaf's "long ago" to be compelling because that requires just as much of an assumption as anything else. However, perhaps even more important than Coldhands' identity is just what he is? I believe he is the same thing as Beric Donderrion, lady Stoneheart (and I believe Melisandre and others besides).

I believe Coldhands is a Wight just like the others; however he is controlled by Bloodraven as opposed to the Others. The Others have the bright blue eyes and all the dangerous Wights have Bright Blue Eyes...I think that is a sign that their body is being controlled by something else. My guess is The Others are few in number but have the power to control dead things and they use them for their army or travel needs (horses).

The North still hold the NW in honor and it is not uncommon for men so far down the line of inheritance to take the Black, plus he was really moved by the NW recruiter at the Tourney at Harrenhal. There are other theories as why he took the black but nothing based on text.

I believe Coldhands is a Wight just like the others; however he is controlled by Bloodraven as opposed to the Others. The Others have the bright blue eyes and all the dangerous Wights have Bright Blue Eyes...I think that is a sign that their body is being controlled by something else.

Thanks for your answer! We definitely needs to know more about what when down during that tourney for a lot of characters.

Totally agree everything lies in the eyes...

• 3 weeks later...

Coldhands is Benjen I keep saying this

I agree and that's what I will continue to believe until Martin tells me otherwise ;)

And, I'm a broken record about this but, I don't find Leaf's "long ago" to be compelling evidence against Coldhands being Benjen because the idea that her saying "long ago" automatically means so long ago that it absolutely rules out any possibility that Coldhands could be Benjen requires just as big of an assumption as anything else at this point.

Archived