The 'UnJon' assumption

TheLordProtector

Just wanted people to comment on why they believe the idea that Jon will come back in a fashion similar to that of Lady Stoneheart.

It's been a wee bug-bear of mine while reading the various threads and it seems that people are a) convinced it will happen or b) terrified that it will happen.

For what it's worth, I don't believe it will happen - quoting myself below ;

A point that people seem to miss about Lady Stoneheart is ; The reason she's 'UnCat' or a bloodthirsty zombie type is not because she was brought back from the dead. It's because she was brought back from the dead after being dead for days!

Beric slowly lost his sense of self etc after being revived numerous times. And he still had the self-awareness to realise his life wasn't really worth living.

The reason I'm being a stickler on this particular point is because of the references to 'UnJon' through out these boards.

The only way we get an 'UnJon' is if he's left rotting for days before being revived, and even at that ; COLD PRESERVES. He would need to be left dead for ages before he's actually capable of being 'UnJon' upon resurrection.

I don't think UnCat is actually all that UnCat to be honest.

Yeah, she looks like shit but that's not actually why she's doing all this stuff.

Look at UnCat's perspective.

All of her children are dead from her perspective, one presumably raped by Tyrion before it happened.

I'd be killing Freys like the Hand of an Angry God myself.

Oh and Brienne too for falling in love with Jaime.

I don't think UnCat is actually all that UnCat to be honest.

Yeah, she looks like shit but that's not actually why she's doing all this stuff.

Look at UnCat's perspective.

All of her children are dead from her perspective, one presumably raped by Tyrion before it happened.

I'd be killing Freys like the Hand of an Angry God myself.

Oh and Brienne too for falling in love with Jaime.

It's her complete unwillingness to listen to reason that makes me thing she's lost all reason herself. I get that she has a right to be pissed at the Freys et all, but Brienne swore her an oath and has given her no reason to suspect she broke it. Except for the falling in love with Jaime, a living Cat would have looked on Brienne with pity, like when she realised Brienne loved Renly.

It just strikes me that she has tunnel vision now for revenge, and that's not quite Catelyns make-up.

I'm not sure Jon is even dead. It could just be a slightly more extreme version of Arya getting hit is the head by an axe, because GRRM is really loving his cliff-hangers at the moment. Except instead of having to wait half a book, we have to wait about 6 years.

Not really, at this point nobody's story is "just beginning" - unless the series is going to expand to 15+ novels and I don't think even the most pessimistic among us think so.

"So I've decided to split Winds of Winter into a trilogy..." :D

So you genuinely think we are only going to see Jon again in Ghost?

No, but I can hope.

"So I've decided to split Winds of Winter into a trilogy..." :D

3 1500 page manuscripts! MUHUHAHAHAHA. With one book devoted entirely to the POV's of Areo Hotah, Aeron Greyjoy, Brienne's new travelogue and UnQuentyn.

No, but I can hope.

3 1500 page manuscripts! MUHUHAHAHAHA. With one book devoted entirely to the POV's of Areo Hotah, Aeron Greyjoy, Brienne's new travelogue and UnQuentyn.

The second part of the WoW trilogy will comprise of the workings of the various Qzzts and Xasxzzaqtrs in Meereen. Dany is still messing around in the Dothraki Sea, and Barristan spends half the book slowly descending the stairs.

Out of curiosity; why do you dislike Jon?

Is it ;

a) because he's a mopey bastard.

B) because he's a bit of an idiot

c) because you don't want GRRM to go down the road of the clichéd lone hero

d) some other reason

I don't dislike Jon. I want Petyr Baelish to win this song and dance. The Others could be just the distraction he needs.

The world continues without our heroic Lord Commander?

Yeah, not working...

My biggest issue with Un-Jon is in the fact that the rest of the trip Jon isn't Jon anymore, but some shade of the character. The choices in front of him, the decisions, the fights, all of that was built-up by 5 previous books. And to have magic as an excuse for bad things happening - well, it is so not GRRM. So, no, Jon is neither dead nor Un-Jon. There is too many things in front of him so we would see Un-Jon dealing with it.

The second part of the WoW trilogy will comprise of the workings of the various Qzzts and Xasxzzaqtrs in Meereen. Dany is still messing around in the Dothraki Sea, and Barristan spends half the book slowly descending the stairs.

Would still fork out money for it. :crying:

Archived