The Language of Braavos

boojam

In season 5 the story will be in Braavos , looks like, more than Arya's story, tho that should be the bulk.

Re-reading Arya's chapters the Kindly Man gets so irritated with her Braavosi language skills he sends her out to live and work in the port.

I am kind of doubting David Peterson has been tasked with creating , what?, Braavosish ... that does not sound right, what the language name?

I guess we won't know until season 5.

It's interesting that Arya understands a word of Valyrian now and then, in the Braavos language. (A common happenstance in Essos.)

The show has not emphasized it but seems in the book the Westeros high born and the educated at Kings Landing court know High Valyrian , that's logical.

Besides Arya there are other major characters in GRRM's story who not only seem to understand HV but speak it too.

I always thought this was interesting.

In season 5 the story will be in Braavos , looks like, more than Arya's story, tho that should be the bulk.

Re-reading Arya's chapters the Kindly Man gets so irritated with her Braavosi language skills he sends her out to live and work in the port.

I am kind of doubting David Peterson has been tasked with creating , what?, Braavosish ... that does not sound right, what the language name?

I guess we won't know until season 5.

It's interesting that Arya understands a word of Valyrian now and then, in the Braavos language. (A common happenstance in Essos.)

The show has not emphasized it but seems in the book the Westeros high born and the educated at Kings Landing court know High Valyrian , that's logical.

Besides Arya there are other major characters in GRRM's story who not only seem to understand HV but speak it too.

I always thought this was interesting.

Well in medieval Europe the High Borns all spoke Latin. So High Borns in Westeros speaking HV does not surprise me.

Archived