Hobbit Movie discussion II - Here be Spoilers

The BlackBear

A well made but dumb action blockbuster movie, not a good adaptation of the book though. I thought the guy who played Bard was pretty good, he was one of the standouts for me. As a fan of the Beorn character, he was totally shafted in this trilogy. I would have liked to see him treated with more importance and care.

Overall, I would have liked a more faithful adaptation of the charming original story, but I enjoy this fantasy action schlock on its own terms.

One rather strong complaint I had that nobody seems to have mentioned yet (or maybe I just missed it) is what happened to the Arkenstone. Bard puts it in his pocket after talking to Thorin at the gate, and then everybody fucking forgets about it and it's never seen again. What the fuck was that? This is the thing they've been banging on about for three films and there's no resolution to it. I imagine that it's in the EE, but why of all things is that cut and instead we have Legolas defying gravity again?

Wow I hate this movie the more I think about it.

They buried it with Thorin

Another continuity/editing error is Gandalf acquiring Radagast's staff.

We see it on the sledge when Radagast is medivacing Gandalf out of Dol Guldur, and then Gandalf is off on a conveniently appearing horse to Erebor with it.

Again, probably something in the EE will show Radagast giving it to Gandalf. Similar to Gandalf's staff disappearing in RotK, and we only get to see why (confrontation with the Witch-king) in the EE.

I have seen all three Hobbit movies in 3-D in theaters and I must say the third film was not worth the price of a theater ticket much less the inflated 3D prices. I liked the first film enough, I really enjoyed the second film in 3D, and thought this third was just as unnecessary as most people had feared it would be. A group of five of us saw it on Sunday and none were impressed.

This film did not live up to the cliffhanger left in the second movie. Also, was anyone else laughing at unintentionally funny moments? Most of the dialogue, the whole Thorin's goldfever breaking scene, & Super Mario Legolas fighting Bowser Orc on the crumbling bridge all made us do some legit loling.

The burial wasn't, but didn't they show it being placed with him? It's been a couple weeks since I saw it and I honestly can't remember.

They never show what actually happens to the Arkenstone, this has frustrated people all over.

Presumably it is buried with Thorin, but since his funeral was cut and confirmed for the EE, regular audiences never find out what becomes of it.

Another continuity/editing error is Gandalf acquiring Radagast's staff.

We see it on the sledge when Radagast is medivacing Gandalf out of Dol Guldur, and then Gandalf is off on a conveniently appearing horse to Erebor with it.

Again, probably something in the EE will show Radagast giving it to Gandalf. Similar to Gandalf's staff disappearing in RotK, and we only get to see why (confrontation with the Witch-king) in the EE.

When Gandalf and Radagast come back to Rhosgobel, there is a part of that scene which is clearly cut. They have a very brief conversation, which was shot as a longer sequence. In it they speak of harnassing the birds and the beasts. In the cut part, they supposedly speak about Radagast transferring his staff to Gandalf, and also about getting Beorn involved. You do see during the battle that Radagast and Beorn arrive together on eagles ( if you didn't blink of course). That didn't just happen of course, it was agreed upon, and is part of the broader story of Beorn's story in the EE. It's expected that that conversation will be shown in its entirety in the EE, thus explain how he suddenly has a new staff. It's funny how the actors had been assuming all sorts of stuff woud be shown, which has all been axed. For instance Sylvester McCoy who plays Radagast said at the time that he had many scenes with McKellen, and that we would see them fight together, and that we would learn how Gandalf adopts his staff.

It just annoys me that with about 6 hours of random hijinks we couldn't even get to see Thorin's funeral or Dain and Bard's coronation or any mention of Balin (and I think Ori, Nori and Bifur) dying in Moria or just anything past the battle other than Martin Freemon (who admittedly almost salvages this series back from mediocrity just by his acting) going home

It just annoys me that with about 6 hours of random hijinks we couldn't even get to see Thorin's funeral or Dain and Bard's coronation or any mention of Balin (and I think Ori, Nori and Bifur) dying in Moria or just anything past the battle other than Martin Freemon (who admittedly almost salvages this series back from mediocrity just by his acting) going home

It's just Ori and Oin from the company that go to Moria. Oin is taken by the Watcher in the Water; Ori is the one who writes the stuff in the book of Mazarbul that the Fellowship read.

It's just Ori and Oin from the company that go to Moria. Oin is taken by the Watcher in the Water; Ori is the one who writes the stuff in the book of Mazarbul that the Fellowship read.

Its Balin's tomb the fight that the fight takes places in the Fellowship, he's the one that leads the retaking of Moria

The films are at once bloated and too lean, which is a real accomplishment in bad editing.

One rather strong complaint I had that nobody seems to have mentioned yet (or maybe I just missed it) is what happened to the Arkenstone. Bard puts it in his pocket after talking to Thorin at the gate, and then everybody fucking forgets about it and it's never seen again. What the fuck was that? This is the thing they've been banging on about for three films and there's no resolution to it. I imagine that it's in the EE, but why of all things is that cut and instead we have Legolas defying gravity again?

Wow I hate this movie the more I think about it.

On the positive side, I liked Martin Freeman as Bilbo; he nailed it.

I also liked the dwarves and their shield wall at the start of the battle with the elves leaping over.

Maybe if Alfrid had been killed off along with the Master, there would have been some screentime available to show Thorin being regally buried with the Arkenstone.

Martin Freeman was wonderful as Bilbo. I enjoyed the Hobbit movies, all three, as reasonably entertaining fantasy. I try not to compare them to the original novel, because then the extent of the bloating of the story becomes clearer...

But what the heck was that last exchange between Thranduil and Legolas, with Thranduil advising Legolas to go befriend "Strider" the Ranger who is the son of Arathorn? Since when is Thranduil so chummy with the Dunedain of the North? The elves who hung out with Arathorn were Elladan and Elrond, of Rivendell, not Mirkwood. Also, Arathorn's son was about 10 years old at the time of THE HOBBIT, and was not yet a Ranger, or called Strider. I had vainly wished we'd see a scene with Bilbo and Gandalf encountering the kid in Rivendell...

But what the heck was that last exchange between Thranduil and Legolas, with Thranduil advising Legolas to go befriend "Strider" the Ranger who is the son of Arathorn? Since when is Thranduil so chummy with the Dunedain of the North? The elves who hung out with Arathorn were Elladan and Elrond, of Rivendell, not Mirkwood. Also, Arathorn's son was about 10 years old at the time of THE HOBBIT, and was not yet a Ranger, or called Strider. I had vainly wished we'd see a scene with Bilbo and Gandalf encountering the kid in Rivendell...

The filmmakers were desperate to create ties between the Hobbit trilogy and the LoTR trilogy.

That is the sole reason why Thranduil is suddenly talking about Legolas finding Strider. It makes no sense whatsoever, but there you are.

Archived