Anyone read The Bone Clocks- David Mitchell's latest book?

Joey Crows

Hidden Content

I think she definitely was (or that was what Mitchell satirized), but she knew about the Anchorites and the Script and a bunch of things that weren't in Holly's novel. The funny thing is that her poems remained obscure and unknown, but by killing Crispin she made him much more famous, per the bus with an ad for "Echo Must Die"

I also wonder if Moore's warning is not to be interpreted as referring only to the Anchorites but also to the predatory, carnivore side of human nature that Mitchell criticizes in Cloud Atlas. And the Holly epilogue also has that whole theme of "Oh, if we'd only stopped consuming like savages years ago then the world wouldn't be fucked now"

Hidden Content

It's like I said a while back - the epilogue has you thinking the anchorites were never the big problem - it was our consumption of the world that was the real issue. In a way it would make no different in the post electric world if a handful of immortals possessed a child every few years when thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) would die of hunger/violence/illness in the same time-frame. Having had time to think on it more I wonder if that was intentional by Mitchell - we can imagine all kinds of bizarre and spectacular "end of world" scenarios but the sad truth is we are most likely sleepwalking into a slowpocalypse. I do feel this book was more about the world at large while Cloud Atlas had a more personal message

Archived