Casting the Movie (I know this has been done before, but keep with me)

Lyanna Stark-Targaryen

Blah - Does he/she? I don't remember if Alleras had darker skin... who was her mother? If she wasn't Dornish, then it's possible for her to be lighter...

Her mother is a trader from the Summer Isles. Oberyn clearly got around :P

When Sam and Gilly are travelling back to Westeros it's on the Cinnamon Wind, which is a ship from the Summer Isles. Sam says that the captain's daughter is "slender as a spear, with skin as black and smooth as polished jet".

Given the description that Alleras/Sarella has a 'dense mat of close-cropped jet-black curls.' My immediate thought was her hair is kind of african-american. So she's likely quite dark.

It's hard to find an actress that fits the description though I know.

Lyanna - We've got to decide whether to cast Indians, Middle-Easterners, East-Asians, or another group as Dothraki. They're supposed to be a homogeneous group. The lamb men and others of the Eastern Continent are separate groups, with more variety and intermixing....

We've got a middle-eastener currently cast as Drogo, so that should dictate where we look for the bloodriders and other Dothraki.

----

We haven't seen Sarella yet... so I would list Alleras under Oldtown. Along those lines... shouldn't Arys Oakheart be listed with the Kingsguard?

Lyanna - We've got to decide whether to cast Indians, Middle-Easterners, East-Asians, or another group as Dothraki.

We haven't seen Sarella yet... so I would list Alleras under Oldtown. Along those lines... shouldn't Arys Oakheart be listed with the Kingsguard?

About the Dothraki casting, I'm kind of drawing a blank as to which would be best. I'm thinking a cross between Middle-Eastern and East-Asian right now just looking at the picture of Drogo.

As for Arys, he certainly should, I just didn't think of it. I'll move him now. :)

I think Jared Padalecki would make a better Gendry – he’s bigger and stronger (as a blacksmith should be) than all of the other Gendry contenders.

Or if he’s not Gendry, he would make a much better SmallJohn than Shawn Ashmore (who I think is too much of a weed to be an Umber).

How about Anthony Hopkins for Maester Lewin?

And can I restate that Bradley Cooper is exactly how I see Osney Kettleblack?

I think Jared Padalecki would make a better Gendry – he’s bigger and stronger (as a blacksmith should be) than all of the other Gendry contenders.

Or if he’s not Gendry, he would make a much better SmallJohn than Shawn Ashmore (who I think is too much of a weed to be an Umber).

How about Anthony Hopkins for Maester Lewin?

And can I restate that Bradley Cooper is exactly how I see Osney Kettleblack?

Nothing to add except, that was post 666. :D

I'd like to get Paldecki back in there if I could, but not as Gendry. SmallJon shows promise, I'll have to muse upon it further. :P

I'll put him in as Osney. :)

WightMeWorry

You have won a refrigerator!

Denny Trejo is great!

But i think Raymond Cruz look a little to young, and not quithe dothraki in my eyes. Drogos bloodriders were his fathers friends, choosen at his birth, so they should be from the older generation.

Perhaps one of Danys Ko? But i imagine them with younger looking faces, for some reason. Drogo choose them to guards his khaleesi, so i don´t know why i imagine them in their late teens, early twenties. Perhaps because of some of their quite naive comments. And at some times they seem to have a kind of childish camaederie, both with Dany and her handmaids.

Perhaps benicio del torro as one of drogos blood riders?

How old is lou now? I only remember him from that movie where he played that young singer, who had his breakthrough.

Should he play drogos bloodrider?

I think he would be better as one of danys ko, depending on how old he looks these days.

The dothraki seems to be flying in all directions racevise. But as long as they are dark haired, darkskinned, and has kind of the right feel to them, i think that is okay.

What about Oded Fehr, or antonio Banderas.

I'm going to venture into dangerous territory again, ;) and suggest Scott Glenn for the Blackfish. Look at the picture Lyanna put up and then the amoka portrait. He comes closer than either Irons or Elliott. Irons and Elliott are great actors, but Irons is already picking up his fantasy paycheck from Eragon and Elliott, as I've said before, is a cowboy typecast.

I don't know if it makes a difference now that it's settled, but when I first started reading the series and before any speculation started and before I saw the amoka portraits, Kevin Zegers was the person I imagined Renly to look like, since Renly is 21 in the books. I swear. So I don't know if this adds anything to the Gendry debate, or if it's already settled (he's already been switched so many times I can't tell) but I think Zegers looks more like a Baratheon, and he looks younger than Cooper.

And as far as new suggestions go, what about Jason Statham for Jorah Mormont? Jeff Bridges is almost 60 now, isn't he? Statham's balding, strong-looking, and around Mormont's age.

Should Areo Hotah be dark or light skinned?

I still haven't seen BSG but I think Milla Jovovich is fine in there, especially with Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Theon - that's a damn good sibling match up!

And Lyanna, I've figured out who that imposter you've got as Viserys is - Mike Vogel, who played Emmy Rossum's boyfriend in Posedion and Kevin Costner's son in Rumour Has It. He is most definitely not Steve Sandvoss!

This is who I have currently cast on my list for Dany's riders; if you like them, you may share them with me. If not, feel free to recast the actors or ignore me altogether. I assigned the actors to the names rather loosely, because I don't have a description of any of the three handy:

Aggo…Mark Dascascos

Jogho…Tony Jaa

Rhakaro…Marco Leonardi

Dark-skinned, young, athletic fellows, all three.

And at the risk of bringing up a sore subject, I agree that Sam Elliot is a poor choice for the Blackfish. If Sean Bean isn't cast elsewhere, I think he would make a wonderful Bryden Tully (has the Tully look much more than Elliot, and the snarky attitude, too!)

----------------

Edited to add:

I would support the idea of Jason Statham as Jorah Mormont, if you could convince me that his acting would be up to the task. He plays a certain role very well, but I'm not sure he could get all the nuances of Jorah, especially in a fantasy setting. What do you think?

Agreed that it makes more sense to have a fairly defined racial/ethnic group for the Dothraki, and not just have them be composed of any number of different kinds of brown people. The Mayans from "Apocalypto" are obviously indigenous to Central America; Mexican mestizos, East Asians, and Native (North) Americans are all similarly distinctive, and shouldn't all be lumped together for the Dothraki, who are described as being ethnically homogenous. That being said, I'm not exactly sure which region's action-movie genre we should raid for a casting call :P. I was under the impression that the Dothraki were roughly analagous to a fantasized version of the Mongols (all that about almond eyes and whatnot) and that Quarth, with its Kajuraho-temple-like carvings, was something like an Indian port city, but I could be totally wrong?

Sorry if I was snippy re: Jane Goodall! She is very, very much a celebrity and has been in a lot of conservation documentaries, but she is, yeah, really not an actress.

Meanwhile, wow, your Lannisters and Tyrells are looking /fantastic/. The family resemblances are really starting to solidify-- like the Tyrell round faces and cheekbones, esp. with LAUREN BACALL! Aaah! And the Lannisters are really impressive. Tricia and Jensen look like they could be real twins-- their bone structures and coloring and eyes and pointy noses and jawlines (and on and on) are so much alike! And they look like they're Ed Harris' kids (you chanced the Cersei picture, heh, so now Tywin is just scowling because that's his nature ;) ), and even Mikey Post has that squared jaw thing going on. Excellent. :)

Thank you, btw, for putting up with this thread! XD

Archived