Dumbest Lord in Westeros history

C.T. Phipps

Balon Greyjoy springs to mind - his first rebellion would've had much better chances during Robert's rebellion. He learnt better timing by his second rebellion but didn't exactly pick the most rewarding target

To be fair to Balon, he only became lord at the end of RR, and prudently chose to go home rather than continuing the pointless attack on the shields.

Harys Swyft is a bit of an idiot, though at least he's comical about it. Other than that it's gotta be the Crakehall who thought a godless man could sit the Seastone Chair.

If Crakehall had had any brains, he would've taken the chance to take a few sledgehammers to the Seastone Chair and send the broken pieces to be scattered on the top of the Red Mountains and the Mountains of the Moon, for good measure.

to be fair i doubt most people would have fared any better in his stressful circumstance.

I think a lot would. I think a lot would have sacked Winterfell and taken the brothers Stark hostage - Asha included. To be fair to Theon, his conflicting feelings about the Starks and Winterfell likely affected how he behaved - he essentially wanted to be the Lord of Winterfell. And he didn't particularly want to be seen as cruel and unjust by the castle folk that he'd grown up around.

His plan to take Winterfell showed cunning and initiative. It's everything he does after that - not the smartest decisions.

I think a lot would. I think a lot would have sacked Winterfell and taken the brothers Stark hostage - Asha included. To be fair to Theon, his conflicting feelings about the Starks and Winterfell likely affected how he behaved - he essentially wanted to be the Lord of Winterfell. And he didn't particularly want to be seen as cruel and unjust by the castle folk that he'd grown up around.

His plan to take Winterfell showed cunning and initiative. It's everything he does after that - not the smartest decisions.

The whole Winterfell debacle shows us that conquering and ruling require different kinds of skills. It actually reminds me of Daenerys' situation in Meereen, but in a much smaller scale.

Archived