Ice Dragon confirmed?

John_snur

• 2 months later...

On page 4 of TWOIAF. The map of the Known World has 2 dragon shadows, one with 3 heads and another with a single head. i get why the 3 headed dragon shadow is on the map, but why the other??? Could that mean there IS another dragon to come??

What's interesting about this is that the 3 headed dragon's shadow is over northern westeros, while the one headed dragon is over Essos.

Probably just artwork here... but it is curious.

As for evidence of Ice Dragons: there's a constellation, of course, so what is the constellation named after, I ask you? Like the First Men who named that constellation - what were they naming it after?

Jon thinks the tunnel under the Wall is like the belly of an Ice Dragon. So, he's heard stories of them. Perhaps Martin's "Ice Dragon" short story isn't set in Westeros, but mayhaps it's one of Old Nan's stories, you know? Someone has been telling stories of Ice Dragons.

And then we have the TWOIAF Shivering Sea stuff, where several paragraphs are dedicated to Ice Dragon talk.

Will an Ice Dragon appear? I'd call it 50/50, but whatever odds you put on it, if one appears, no one can say it wasn't heavily foreshadowed.

I myself find it hard to believe george can resist putting one in there... the Ice Dragon is his baby. Why wouldn't he have one make an appearance, I ask you?

I thought it was just the authors trolling the fandom over all the ice dragon theories out there.

Yandel gives the info in a way that's almost too perfect. It's presented so brazenly (which is surprising for what is in effect an enormous potential spoiler for ASOIAF a) in surprising detail, and - especially surprisingly for Yandel - he doesn't doubt the veracity of this story nearly as much as he does some other stuff; almost as if all this is designed to make us think "it just all adds up".

But then the part that was like "oh by the way they melt, so of course there's no evidence of them" - I read that as intending to undercut the relevance of the entire previous bit. The complete lack of evidence symbolically represents the "unknowability" of certain things.

This sums it all.

Pale blue mists are the Others. Dancing lights are auroras. %100 sure.

Drowned spirits might be wights and I suspect Cannibal Bay is real. Ice giants are probably giants who live in arctic after all stone giants are real and they are not made of stone, only bigger and live in mountains. I think ice giants would have white fur. These are my theories.

Ice dragons, mermaids and warm summer sea #BS

(I think mermaids are described so we can know what they are supposedly look like in GRRM's universe.)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope there's an ice Dragon, maybe out of the Wall, nice idea! I believe the Wall is coming down one way or the other. 

3 Fire Dragons, 1 Giant Ice Dragon. That'll be a dance to remember! But then maybe there really won't be any dragons after that. I hope it restores balance to the world, normal seasons, the Children come back, etc...

• 10 months later...
11 hours ago, Falcon2908 said:

ICE DRAGONS DO NOT EXIST IN THE ASOIAF UNIVERSE. GRRM CONFIRMED IT.

https://youtu.be/u5pJkldtAh0?t=195

No, he confirmed his story The Ice Dragon is not set in the Song of Ice and Fire universe. That's quite different from confirming there are no ice dragons in the Song of Ice and Fire univese. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived