Re-reading books got better sense if time line.

Lady of the Falls

I recently read AWOIAF-Untold History of Westeros & GOT, before re-reading the whole book series and because of it iv'e noticed more details in the timeline and gotten/understand a lot more of their analogies when telling history to each other or talking about current events. Also put the timeline of events, major and small, more in order. Has anyone else had the same experience.

I am getting much more out of the books the second time through. Actually when I first finished book 5, because of the confusing way it overlaps book 4, I went back and re-read 3, then 4, then 5. I just now finished 1 and am starting 2 again. I'm going to go through all 5 in order this time. I had also thought I'd stop after 1 and rent season 1 DVD but so far I've just kept reading.

I was given AWOIAF for Christmas and just started it. And I have a large set of maps. Both those help a lot. And I just discovered this web site and I'm really enjoying the differing theories I'm reading here.

What would help me the most would be a good time line from start to finish (at least to book 5 now). It would be great to see what different events occurred on the same day and how far apart some of the major events are.

I am getting much more out of the books the second time through. Actually when I first finished book 5, because of the confusing way it overlaps book 4, I went back and re-read 3, then 4, then 5. I just now finished 1 and am starting 2 again. I'm going to go through all 5 in order this time. I had also thought I'd stop after 1 and rent season 1 DVD but so far I've just kept reading.

I was given AWOIAF for Christmas and just started it. And I have a large set of maps. Both those help a lot. And I just discovered this web site and I'm really enjoying the differing theories I'm reading here.

What would help me the most would be a good time line from start to finish (at least to book 5 now). It would be great to see what different events occurred on the same day and how far apart some of the major events are.

Totally agree i'm on my 3rd run of re-readn and i'm at 4 n 5 i'm reading one run of all the characters chapters in 4 than 1 run of the characters in 5 then repeat, for most part it makes it easier to follow, The books use so much of across the narrow sea in discriptions it was not confusing but it meant nothin w/o context but after reading TUSoW&GOT you have context

• 3 weeks later...

A timeline is helpful, but GRRM obscures it because you're not "supposed" to always know which event I one chapter happened before or after something in another POV's chapter. So all timelines are pretty contentious.

If you're doing another reread, this might be useful for books 4 and 5 (it's a chapter list that combines the two books into one chronologically consistent book - much easier to follow):

http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

Archived