Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

Probably I'm late to the party, but how good is this guy??!! I got the First Law trilogy for Christmas, after picking up The Heroes and then Best Served Cold in second hand book shops, and despite desperately trying to read slowly I'd finished the whole trilogy just three days later. They are so good!! I feel like I haven't read a fantasy book with such well-written characters since GoT. I kind of wish I could go back and read them for the first time all over again!! Sometimes being a fast reader is a bit of a disadvantage!

Probably I'm late to the party, but how good is this guy??!! I got the First Law trilogy for Christmas, after picking up The Heroes and then Best Served Cold in second hand book shops, and despite desperately trying to read slowly I'd finished the whole trilogy just three days later. They are so good!! I feel like I haven't read a fantasy book with such well-written characters since GoT. I kind of wish I could go back and read them for the first time all over again!! Sometimes being a fast reader is a bit of a disadvantage!

Well, there's still Red Country, Half a King, and a few short stories out there to keep you busy for a bit.

And they hold up EXTREMELY well to re-reads. Finding the clues when you know the solution is a worthy endeavor.

Well, there's still Red Country, Half a King, and a few short stories out there to keep you busy for a bit.

Also, The Heroes. Abercrombie is right at the top of my list of best authors. I had the same problem as you, I just couldn't set the books down. His writing is so fluid and keeps you engaged. I've read all his fantasy works except Half a King, which I will get around to soon enough. You'll enjoy his stand alones, really good at taking a different setting in his world and getting to know the characters a lot better.

Eta: also Best Served Cold, which is my favorite work of his.

While he claims that yesterday was his birthday and that he is now 40 years old, some believe that he is much older. There are whispered tales and rumors that he even created time itself. Other stories claim that he created the human race only to bring sorrow, fear and despair upon us.

I can't tell if I'm being made fun of or if this is just some kind of running joke, but whatever, I enjoyed the books :dunno:

Don't worry, you're not being made fun of. I guess this is one of the things that just happen from time to time on this forum. :D

Pretty much everyone on here likes Abercrombies books!

While he claims that yesterday was his birthday and that he is now 40 years old, some believe that he is much older. There are whispered tales and rumors that he even created time itself. Other stories claim that he created the human race only to bring sorrow, fear and despair upon us.

He is known by many names; Lord Grimdark, the Crawling Chaos, Carcaroth, Melek Taus, Xipe Totec, Dagon.

Archived