Joe Abercrombie

HashRouge

Just a quick question for y'all. I'm sure its been answered before but a google search isn't helping. What year is the original trilogy set in ? Currently reading Sharp Ends and I'm trying to get an idea of how close these stories take place to the main storyline. Any help ?

2 hours ago, Morky_Pep said:

Just a quick question for y'all. I'm sure its been answered before but a google search isn't helping. What year is the original trilogy set in ? Currently reading Sharp Ends and I'm trying to get an idea of how close these stories take place to the main storyline. Any help ?

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:02 AM, Consigliere said:

Joe did give a timeline in an old thread. Can't remember which one but luckily I made a note of the timeline:

TBI - year 576

BtaH - year 576-577

TLAoK - year 577

BSC - year 579-580

TH - year 584

RC - year 590

8 hours ago, Morky_Pep said:

The Fall of Dagoska is 576, so a year or two either side.

waiting to pick the book up in a signing event tomorrow (I had it in my hands yesterday but felt it was only good manners to buy a copy from the shop doing the signing). By then I hope someone has come up with a definitive reading order so that I can dip in and out of the other books appropriately. Given how this seems to be a hurdle for getting new readers, Joe should definitely have a guide on his site.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

The new trilogy apparently starts 28 years after LAoK, so that'll be in 605.

Rather later than I thought, then.  That would put most of the protagonists of TFL in their late 50's/early sixties, Monza would be in her mid fifties, and her son in his twenties.

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

waiting to pick the book up in a signing event tomorrow (I had it in my hands yesterday but felt it was only good manners to buy a copy from the shop doing the signing). By then I hope someone has come up with a definitive reading order so that I can dip in and out of the other books appropriately. Given how this seems to be a hurdle for getting new readers, Joe should definitely have a guide on his site.

I would start by reading "Made a Monster" and then just follow them in chronological order.

10 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I would start by reading "Made a Monster" and then just follow them in chronological order.

How are the new stories holding up? I got the impression some of the shorts are connected at least by protagonists possibly making for something in between short stories and a set of adventures.

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

How are the new stories holding up? I got the impression some of the shorts are connected at least by protagonists possibly making for something in between short stories and a set of adventures.

Shevedieh and Javre feature in five of the stories, sometimes running into other characters from TFL and the standalones.

Hell, A Beautiful Bastard, Made a Monster, Some Desperado, either fill out back stories of characters, or fill in some of the blank spaces from the novels.

27 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Rather later than I thought, then.  That would put most of the protagonists of TFL in their late 50's/early sixties, Monza would be in her mid fifties, and her son in his twenties.

That would be consistent with the podcast where Joe said the new trilogy would focus on the new blood

26 minutes ago, End of Disc One said:

Anyone else think that characters aged more quickly than you would expect in the standalones?  Cosca and Lamb are described as old as fuck in RC, but I don't remember them being that old in the trilogy, 13 years earlier.

Logan's led a hard life in the Near Country for years, and Cosca's been hitting the bottle for years.

Thanks for the timeline clarification. Im really enjoying the stories so far. Just finished reading Hell and was really affected by it ! I also love Shev and Javre. They make me laugh.

EDIT: Two's Company is probably the most I've ever laughed while reading. Kudos Joe !

I maybe missed Wert posting it on here but he's put the timeline/reading order up on his blog. Nice work.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

Logan's led a hard life in the Near Country for years, and Cosca's been hitting the bottle for years.

I can imagine with all the broken bones etc he'd look pretty grizzled. I always thought of Cosca looking a bit old - it's hard to imagine him ever looking young.

19 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That would be consistent with the podcast where Joe said the new trilogy would focus on the new blood

I imagine the political backdrop will be mutual hostility between three powerful tyrannies, the Union, Styria, and Gurkhul.

I guess the new generation could be Monza's son, the children of Jezal and Terez, the children of Shenkt and Vitari, and Ardee's child, as well as others yet to  be revealed.

15 hours ago, Morky_Pep said:

Thanks for the timeline clarification. Im really enjoying the stories so far. Just finished reading Hell and was really affected by it ! I also love Shev and Javre. They make me laugh.

EDIT: Two's Company is probably the most I've ever laughed while reading. Kudos Joe !

I was surprised at the way that Eaters were portrayed.

Epic fail by waterstones Bristol signing. I arrived 10 minutes after the start to discover they had no copies of the new book remaining. I've been to well over 20 signing over the years and have never witnessed that - not even at a GRRM signing with a 500m queue. It wasn't even that busy today. The mind boggles at how a store could be that badly organised. I was pretty pissed so didn't bother chatting with Joe as it's not his fault they fucked up.

Fortunately Forbidden planet had a signed copy (turns out Joe had been there in the morning) so Waterstones didn't cost him a sale. I'm just irked at putting off buying the book so that I could reward the store for putting a signing event on. I can start it over the weekend now :)

4 minutes ago, Joe Abercrombie said:

Yeah, I dunno what happened there. Never done a signing where they ran out of books before. We started 20 mins early but it wasn't like they had THAT many people turn up. Sorry, man. Still, at least you got one.

The starting early may have made things worse - still shoddy planning on their behalf. Bristol doesn't seem too kind to you with signings, I recall the FP last year had you competing with the Magic Gathering evening occurring at the same time. They did at least have plenty of books there.

At the end of the day I wound up with a signed copy still and I'm sure I wasn't the only sale Waterstones lost because of a bumble.

Archived