Tower on Fire thingy screwing up the site?

The Ned's Little Girl

I'm having this problem as well. (PC, Firefox). It seems to correlate strongly with Xfinity ads. When a red Xfinity ad loads on the left side of the page, the page doesn't load correctly almost every time. (reverts to Hightower background on the left, solid grey on main page.) If the Xfinity ad loads on the bottom, same thing often occurs. (ETA - Or the left column content will load correctly, but the Hightower background will load to the immediate right.)

Other times the page loads correctly, except the bottom ad spot is blank. 9The little AdChoices arrow/link is there, but no ad.)

For me, it's working most of the time now. Sometimes the problem still happens, but a page reload will usually clear it - not 100% of the time, but definitely the majority of the time.

Again, thanks very much for all your efforts on this, Ran.

As best I can tell, what's happening is that some ad (or ads) loads only partially. This has several effects:

1. This breaks the skin, causing the Flaming Tower of Doom.

2. It screws up the skin loading behind the scenes, too, which

3. ...means PHP doesn't exit cleanly for a long while, which itself

4. ...means we spawn lots of additional PHP processes as people hit reload, which

5. ...means the server gets loaded down, making everything sluggish even when you do get in.

I've done what I can to alleviate points #3-5, though the side effect is that individual page loads will be a little slower for the moment, but #1-2 are outside of my control.

Folks who've had this issue:

Please clear your cache, close and restart your browser, and then visit. Is the issue still present, and if so, is it less, more, or equally frequent to how it was previously?

Folks who've had this issue:

Please clear your cache, close and restart your browser, and then visit. Is the issue still present, and if so, is it less, more, or equally frequent to how it was previously?

Earlier today I actually re-installed chrome and haven't had the issue again on two of my androids (one of the others is still acting up)

also the ads have changed, no more at&t :smug: no more problems

Archived