[Spoiler] How did you deal with...

H.P.

… your emotional trama caused by Oberyn's death? I remember becoming positively depressed when I first saw that scene. And now, coming to think of it several months later, I still find it hard to think about. My brain doesn't want to accept it. Oberyn wasn't even a favourite character of mine, but I so badly wanted him to win that fight, especially after dominating it so hard in its beginning.

I think I'm in need of some online counseling here.

As I was watching the battle, I completely forgot that Oberyn had to die. Every weak leading up to it I was thinking about how it would happen, but when the moment came I was fully hoping Oberyn would win. It was a very satisfying death, to say the least. And a little bit sad too. But that's how you know it was good.

well i knew it had happened in the book, but there had been enough differences by then and that sean bean was the only well known star lulled me into thinking they (DB and DW) were going to somehow save him...but alas it was not meant to be

• 2 weeks later...

the first death - that of Ned - was the most shocking for me. after that i realized the show would not let actor name recognition stop them from dealing out death

I agree with your sentiments here. Ned's fate came as an utter, complete how-is-this-possibly-happening kind of shock — I think I was reading A Game of Thrones at the time, and probably hadn't reached the part yet when I saw the episode. "You realize you are going to die," or something along those lines was what Varys said to him visiting the dungeon. I sure didn't until the very moment, or even beyond that. He was the epitome of "fair", and his death drove home the point that "fair" isn't going to cut it.

But Oberyn was such a marvelous character it was an utter shock to see him go. And he was a man on a mission, which kind of made it easy to root for him, avenging a great injustice. And both the book and show lead the reader/viewer to believe this underdog is actually winning it – that actually he isn't the underdog at all. It's a wonderful scene, and especially Martin's writing of it made a huge impression.

I think with Oberyn he was able to make it even worse not only because he's such a great character but because there seemed to be so much unleashed potential in him. A bit like having Tyrion fall from the Wall and die while taking a leak.

But as for your original question, I'm not quite sure this is what I'd call coping with it.

• 2 weeks later...

After binge watching season 4 on DVD I dreaded getting to this scene again and sure enough I felt quite sad when I had to say goodbye to Pedro Pascal again because it definitely makes a difference when you are watching it in one go, you get more attached to the character and everything he did and said is super fresh in your mind and to see it ending like that is quite heartbreaking.

• 1 month later...

It is interesting to look at the Lannisters faces during the scene.

Oh, yes. Quite right.

I was rooting for Tyrion (who would have thought that...), and I especially watched him. But also Cersei's and Jaime's faces are really telltale. And Tywin's, of course.

Well, I closed my eyes at the right moment.

I knew it was coming and I didn´t want to see it. For me it´s much easier to read atrocities than to see them.

I never let myself be attached to him in the show. Have to admit, I wasn´t to interested in him in the books. So that was ok.

But this scene really made me realize, that it will probably be very hard to watch season five and beyond. Because I don´t know anymore if I should let myself get attached to a character or not...

There will probably be some very bad deaths coming... They seem to think, they have to top it each season.

Archived