Agent Carter

mcbigski

5 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I was on the fence about watching another season, to be honest. I thought season 2 was well below season 1. And since I won't come back to any of those DC shows you mentioned, I would not have felt bad if I gave this one up, too. Yet another reason now to give up cable.

Yeah. Season 2 wasn't the best, but it is the pity that this series is cancelled. It had outstanding cast and with a bit better writers, this could have been incredible TV show. With the led such as Atwell, the show had indeed a potential. Much greater potential than anything on ABC and CW we are currently watching from Marvel and DC cuisine.

4 minutes ago, lmanion said:

Any chance it gets a netflix run seeing as marvel already have a connection there?

I doubt. Perhaps they will push for it and Netflix may see the appeal of having a 1950-1990 period drama. But they have full hands with Hell's Kitchen heroes and they have 6 different shows that are in progress, so I doubt that they could cram it up.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

Damn... To live in the world where Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl and Gotham are all safe and this gets cancelled...

Agent Carter will be sorely missed. This was truly great show.

:agree:  

Just saw that it's been cancelled.  That's too bad - I thought Season 2 stumbled after a great Season 1, but I would have liked it to get another chance - I think it's certainly better than Agents of SHIELD.  Maybe they can sneak a 2-part flashback or somesuch in AOS that shows the actual birth of SHIELD from the SSR.  Maybe the death notice of Peggy Carter in this week's AOS was a hint :(

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

However, there was no netflix offering of season 1 as streaming or as dvd offering.  So it seems unlikely.  What was the network thinking????

That's ridiculous.  I just checked and you can't stream the whole series on any service, the no dvds on Netflix is even more baffling, and the only way you can get it is to buy it (or pay to stream it on Amazon).  It even makes less sense when they have Agents of SHIELD available as streaming or dvd on Netflix.  

I know network execs don't want to sell their shows' rights to Netflix "for less than (the execs think) they're worth" but I can't understand how they don't get that look at shows like Breaking Bad which was only a hit because of Netflix.  Sure it won't make a show the a smash every time, but you have to take that chance don't you?

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

However, there was no netflix offering of season 1 as streaming or as dvd offering.  So it seems unlikely.  What was the network thinking????

Season 1 was on UK Netflix/amazon but can't remember which. It was one of the reasons I never got round to it because I thought it'd always be there. However I'm learning with alarming frequency that is not the case - especially with Amazon.

I may be wrong here but I'm pretty sure that Agent Carter was a product of the movie camp (Feige's team) as opposed to the tv camp. If that's the case there could be some weird politics at play too.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I may be wrong here but I'm pretty sure that Agent Carter was a product of the movie camp (Feige's team) as opposed to the tv camp. If that's the case there could be some weird politics at play too.

Yeah... The guys who wrote entire Cap. America trilogy worked on this. Feige was also a producer of the show.

2 hours ago, Risto said:

Yeah... The guys who wrote entire Cap. America trilogy worked on this. Feige was also a producer of the show.

I wouldn't be surprised if this factored in. Heck, the scene in Civil War may have been an intentional closing of shop.

I think this makes it pretty unlikely that Agents of SHIELD will do a flashback episode because they seem to run TV and film as separate and I'm not sure the TV side would want to help out the other side when the films completely ignore them.

I think ABC is making a statement that they are not just going to rubberstamp Marvel shows and keep them on the air without them being successful. I wouldn't be surprised if this was putting Agents of SHIELD on notice to get higher ratings or be cancelled after next season as well.

They've also canned Most Wanted, the proposed Agents of SHIELD spin-off show, after viewing the internal pilot.

39 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think ABC is making a statement that they are not just going to rubberstamp Marvel shows and keep them on the air without them being successful. I wouldn't be surprised if this was putting Agents of SHIELD on notice to get higher ratings or be cancelled after next season as well.

They've also canned Most Wanted, the proposed Agents of SHIELD spin-off show, after viewing the internal pilot.

Yeah... I agree. The people in Marvel TV (at least this side of TVUniverse) needs to step up the game. Although, ABC seems to be cleaning the house this year. They also cancelled Castle (the firing Stana Katic' backlash was obviously too big), Galavant, Nashville. So, it may also be that the new boss at ABC wants to rock a ship a bit and see what new they can come up with. Atwell is after all doing new TV show for ABC.

Didn't amazon outbid for Agent Carter, and that's why we can't get it streaming from Netflix?  But why no dvds available from netflix, however, that doesn't make sense.  One would like to see the contracts.

Amazon entering the market has outbid for a lot of what normally netflix would stream, particularly the BBC-America content

It's not surprising news, but it is a pity since I did find the show to be consistently enjoyable even if the plots were only occasionally as good as they could have been. I think the first season episode where Peggy and the Howling Commandos infiltrate a Soviet base was probably the best.

18 hours ago, HokieStone said:

Maybe they can sneak a 2-part flashback or somesuch in AOS that shows the actual birth of SHIELD from the SSR.  Maybe the death notice of Peggy Carter in this week's AOS was a hint :(

I suppose they could also take the lazy route and have some sort of time travel episode in Agents of SHIELD where they have to travel back to the 50s for some reason.

Season 1 was on UK Netflix/amazon but can't remember which. It was one of the reasons I never got round to it because I thought it'd always be there. However I'm learning with alarming frequency that is not the case - especially with Amazon.

The initial UK streaming was on Now TV, although it might have showed up elsewhere later as well?

They've also canned

Most Wanted, the proposed Agents of SHIELD spin-off show, after viewing the internal pilot.

It did always seem a bit of an odd idea. I do quite like SHIELD, but I don't know that we really need another show that would probably have been pretty similar.

37 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It did always seem a bit of an odd idea. I do quite like SHIELD, but I don't know that we really need another show that would probably have been pretty similar.

Yeah, I agree. If they had canceled Carter and greenlit that show I'd be quite annoyed.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

It's been a while since I've been excited by anything on ABC so the shake-up may prove worthwhile in the next season or two.

I think the fact Atwell's other show was being greenlit must have been a factor. Could she have done two shows (even if Agent Carter was only a midseason filler). It could be ABC helped her make a decision by pushing her in the desired direction?

Even if the CW DC shows are a mess at the moment they at least try something a little bit different with each show - although i guess the "hero surrounded by a team of friends" is something they all tend to do. The netflix shows have so far had a distinct tone. I'm just not sure anyone was ever crying out for an AoS show? If anything wouldn't it dilute AoS by taking cast members away?

22 hours ago, Risto said:

I doubt. Perhaps they will push for it and Netflix may see the appeal of having a 1950-1990 period drama. But they have full hands with Hell's Kitchen heroes and they have 6 different shows that are in progress, so I doubt that they could cram it up.

I agree.... even though Netflix would be the best fit, how many Marvel shows can they do?.... But I was thinking maybe Hulu or Amazon

S2 was not very good.... but its still sad for us Marvel-bots... I thought that the show *could* have been decent though.... it had a terrific premise... which is why I hope a non-broadcast entity picks it up.... If ABC NBC, CBS the CW or Fox had Daredevil, it would have sucked too

I think it's fair to say that this has been a bad month for Peggy Carter as a character.

I would have liked to see more of a send-off for her in one format or the other. After all, this is one of the most, if not *the* most ubiquitous Marvel character. She was in Cap 1, 2 and was referred in Cap 3. She was in Ant-Man and Age of Ultron and was referred in Avengers. She was in four or five Agents of Shield episodes, and she had two seasons of her own series. And she starred in a one-shot. Quite incredible really.

13 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

I think it's fair to say that this has been a bad month for Peggy Carter as a character.

I would have liked to see more of a send-off for her in one format or the other. After all, this is one of the most, if not *the* most ubiquitous Marvel character. She was in Cap 1, 2 and was referred in Cap 3. She was in Ant-Man and Age of Ultron and was referred in Avengers. She was in four or five Agents of Shield episodes, and she had two seasons of her own series. And she starred in a one-shot. Quite incredible really.

I think both sides of Marvel-verse would benefit from more ubiquitous characters thus serving as a bridge between two sides - namely, Maria Hill and Sharon Carter. And I will not stop pushing for it until someone from Marvel hears me :)

But, yeah, Peggy was awesome and this was a sad month...

17 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I agree.... even though Netflix would be the best fit, how many Marvel shows can they do?.... But I was thinking maybe Hulu or Amazon

Yeah, there is no way Netflix could afford ANOTHER Marvel show. Their plate is full as you can get.

Archived