Agent Carter

mcbigski

I really like this show. I thought it started out a bit slow, but Agent Carter is an interesting character and I enjoy the fashion and the action. The story is a bit hokey, but that's to be expected.

1. Just copied over what I put in AoS thread. Which btw if you gave up in S1 S2 is worth a look, much better.

2. The badguys can't shoot for shit, even stormtroopers would be able to land at least one bullet on that car.

1. How does season 2 compare to this. Because I thought this was fucking terrible.

2. That was the most egregious example of bad guys can't shoot that I've ever seen. Just pathetic.

Mostly I thought the dialog was terrible, most of the acting felt wooden, Peggy feels extremely MarySue-ish. I'll probably keep watching since its run is so short, but it will likely be several days after it airs.

People watch Forever?

Forever is so much better than this dross.

I enjoyed the first two. Regarding the aiming skills of the flunkies, I'm choosing to handwave it with the fact that it's Howard Stark's car, which would obviously be bullet-resistant. Just a shame the writers didn't use that excuse.

1. How does season 2 compare to this. Because I thought this was fucking terrible.

I liked this so perhaps our tastes are different. That said, they are still quite different shows. Agents has grown to have a larger cast which helps it. Up until the midseason (as that's all we've had so far) it has much more drive than it did before, it doesn't dwell as much on the same issues as S1 did. In terms of characters it has completely turned my view of Skye around, Ward has been well done as well, Fitz and Simmons go their own way to a degree and are allowed to expand what they can do.

Sorry if this wasn't particularly coherent, basically I'm glad I stuck with it.

While I enjoyed Agent Carter, IMO, we're talking about two different shows. I prefer AoS much more, but Agent Carter -- for me -- works based on the era. It has the "quirk" factor working in its favor. It's so stylized, that I can hold it to a different standard. For example? Some of the stunt work was a little sloppy, as I don't think Atwell has the athleticism to look natural in a fight scene. But, with the way the show looks and feels, I still found the fight scenes somewhat endearing. If that makes sense. The show works as a homage to this type of genre, with the superhero element worked in. Ultimately, I can forgive a lot because the show looks cool and feels unique.

AoS is more comic booky and Sci-Fi. It's more "by the books." It might sound like a slight, and I don't mean it to be -- like I mentioned, I love AoS.

I do not think there's any real comparison. Both shows are also handled by two completely different teams.

I am sorry, but with exception of Outlander, nothing struck me so good from US TV this season like Agent Carter. Not even Marco Polo or Legends. Simply, this was so good. I watched the first two episodes and I enjoyed them through and through. Atwell is a great lead and I have to say that Jarvis makes me laugh every single time... Cast is good, period-wise it is appropriate. IDK, I love it. Far more than I have ever loved AoS.

Parts of this are great fun. About 1000xs better then anything Agents of Shield has come up with so far but that is probably because its a period piece and I always have a soft spot for those.

Does have a little bit of a plot armor problem because we already saw old agent carter in Winter Solider.

That doesn't have to mean anything. I'm not interested in whether she survives, but what is her place in firming SHIELD? As for being better than AoS? Well Marvel nailed the roll out of this show compared to the other, sure. But it's essentially apples and oranges at the sand time too.

I like it overall, but I'm not too fond of the approach they took with Carter struggling in a world of men. Sure, it's period appropriate, but she freaking fought alongside Captain America, kicked Hydra butt. How is it that she gets no recognition for that?

Two other gripes I have:

• The agency is called the Strategic Scientific Research, but so far, other than quick mentions of "lab rats" and "eggheads" we haven't seen any scientist working for the agency. So far it's just FBI-like agents. I hope this gets remedied soon.
  • How much did diner waitresses make in the late 40s? Because I have no idea how Carter's friend can afford to stay at that fancy hotel.

<p>

I like it overall, but I'm not too fond of the approach they took with Carter struggling in a world of men. Sure, it's period appropriate, but she freaking fought alongside Captain America, kicked Hydra butt. How is it that she gets no recognition for that?

Two other gripes I have:

• The agency is called the Strategic Scientific Research, but so far, other than quick mentions of "lab rats" and "eggheads" we haven't seen any scientist working for the agency. So far it's just FBI-like agents. I hope this gets remedied soon.
  • How much did diner waitresses make in the late 40s? Because I have no idea how Carter's friend can afford to stay at that fancy hotel.
I don't know. I think it's staying consistent with the time. The sexism of the show borders on caricature, but it also highlights how far she's been pushed aside at the moment. This sentiment wad echoed by one of the other women, in the pilot I think, talking about now that the men are returned from the war...

I don't know. I think it's staying consistent with the time. The sexism of the show borders on caricature, but it also highlights how far she's been pushed aside at the moment. This sentiment wad echoed by one of the other women, in the pilot I think, talking about now that the men are returned from the war...

Yeah it makes sense that with the war over even the SSR would be reducing staff probably starting with female agents, so the fact she worked with Captain America may be the only reason she still has a job with them at all. Her dead roommate mentioned that they laying off alot of the women now that the men are coming home to work.

Hayley Atwell really letting loose some acting chops this week. Several scenes in which she was fantastic. The others too, to be fair- I love her relationships with Jarvis and Angie.

Also, is it weird that even though I know that Angie is Lyndsay Fonseca, I can't connect her face with her face in the other things I've seen her in, like, at all?

That doesn't have to mean anything. I'm not interested in whether she survives, but what is her place in firming SHIELD? As for being better than AoS? Well Marvel nailed the roll out of this show compared to the other, sure. But it's essentially apples and oranges at the sand time too.

It's not just that she's old; we do know that there's only a certain amount of consequence that can be had because it has to be the same world that the MCU started in, which is, basically, ours on the surface. So no massive world-changing events, and also Howard Stark can't die/get in too much trouble come the end and things like that.
In some ways though that restriction could be a positive - being prevented from dropping in too many links to the comic world almost gives them a freedom that the later-set stories don't have to not be a comic-book narrative, and allows them to commit fully to one genre in a way that the Cap films themselves and Agents of Shield couldn't.

It is a bit too much, but I adore the juxtaposition of Penny and Jarvis, her being badass woman and him being delicate male. Although, I doubt he is that delicate :)

It is a bit too much, but I adore the juxtaposition of Penny and Jarvis, her being badass woman and him being delicate male. Although, I doubt he is that delicate :)

I really enjoyed that as well, but agree with Jaxom that the sexism/machismo of the show is a caricature. It's about as subtle as a sledgehammer. I feel like they went overboard with it. And I personally find Peggy's ability to beat the crap out of all of these men to be unrealistic to the point of being distracting. I 'get' that a certain amount of fantasy is just a part of this sort of show, but she never shows a weakness. She got injured, but it was mainly used as a foil to show how tough she is against Jarvis' nursing skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived