Charlie Hebdo under terrorist attack

KAH

12 dead, including two police officers. All others cited to be journalists within Charlie Hebdo.

Apparently the gunmen are still on the run. Last I heard (about 30 minutes ago) there were two of them but they seem to be doing their best to escape.

The correct reaction from enlightened media is to cover tomorrow’s newspaper front pages with Charlie Hebdo drawings making fun of the prophet. Add some drawings from the Danish Muhammad cartoons for variety (so far, those people haven’t been killed, despite several serious attempts.)

The correct reaction from enlightened media is to cover tomorrow’s newspaper front pages with Charlie Hebdo drawings making fun of the prophet. Add some drawings from the Danish Muhammad cartoons for variety (so far, those people haven’t been killed, despite several serious attempts.)

That would be foolish. Why put your life at risk while the threat still exists?

Commodore,

This is horrific and people who kill becuase they dislike satirical speech should be hunted down. That said, this is not an "Islamic" problem. This is a "radicalized belief" problem. Any human philosophical or religious belief can become the source of radicalized behavior.

When it is eliminated?

Why put your life (and your family and that of your coworkers) at risk when there is no evidence that this threat is being addressed?

Right? Why live your life the way you wish when you can just cower in fear that some assholes will take offense at what you're doing and try to kill you?

The ruthlessness of it is so chilling.

I hope their own community turns them in.

One more for 10,000!

But I actually quoted to just echo agreement. I saw Frank Gardner (BBC Security Correspondent) describing a video he had seen, since removed, of a police officer being thrown onto the street and shot dead at close range.

Horrendously cold-blooded, horrifically chilling. I hope they are caught without further incident as I believe they are still on the run.

When it is eliminated?

Why put your life (and your family and that of your coworkers) at risk when there is no evidence that this threat is being addressed?

Why would a fireman fight fires?

He might not be happy about it if the equipment his employer provides is sub-optimal (or even sub-standard), but that does not take away the firemans raison d'etre.

And if that is giving the average journalist too much credit, one might consider that this is one of the few ways media institutions actually can do something to protect themselves while not bowing to pressure; showing the terrorists that what they do does not work - trying to silence us only gave you a hundred more speaking the same. There is a measure of protection in solidarity.

Uncovering shit that the powers that be (in all it's various incarnations) wants to keep unspoken - that will always carry a certain danger, and sometimes the state itself (or parts of it) will be the source from where the danger comes...for those who would suggest relying on state power to "address threats".

It is horrible. Legends were murdered today. This being said, we should wait until we know the reasons of the attack before going on about cartoons and muslims. Even if it is likely, jumping to conclusions like that is hardly productive.

As for the idea that radical islamism is a threat that can be "eliminated", as in by force of arms or something, it is laughable: the murders by M. Merah in my city proved that it's not agroup but an ideology you have to fight, and you don't "eliminate" ideologies by becoming hardasses or by submitting to fear. It is a cultural problem and it's not going away when it's irrigated by the rise of all extremisms (us vs them, see the anti muslim demonstration in germany, antisemitic aggressions in paris and so on)

Archived