a crown for cold silver

jobmartell

Please elaborate. What did you like about, what can we expect?

Talk a bit about the story that's being told in this book.

After reading through this again, one bit of information that I would like to know: the author's freakin' name.

"Twenty years ago, feared general Cobalt Zosia led her five villainous captains and mercenary army into battle, wrestling monsters and toppling an empire."

I think I'll pass. Feared general called Cobalt Zosia is just too much.

Cobalt is a nickname. If that matters.

As already mentioned upthread, and according to all the authors on my twitter timeline (who've been creaming their pants over this book), Alex Marshall is a pen name of an already established author. But nobody knows who...

ETA: From Hachette's website: Alex Marshall is a pseudonym for an acclaimed author who has previously published several novels in different genres.

Curse you Orbit, now I care who Alex Marshall is. Their ploy is working!

I do genuinely want to know, specifically because it sounds like the book is a bit of a -- possibly loving? possibly not? -- subversion of grimdark and dudebro fantasy. I don't think it should matter who that's coming from but I think in practice it might.

The name of the author matters... at least to my mind...

And that is probably why a pen name is being used. Would your enjoyment of a Fantasy novel be influenced if it were written by a Children's book author? A Romance novelist? A biographer?

I will admit it and say it probably would for me.

I still wonder who KJ Parker is. Maybe the mystery adds allure.

And that is probably why a pen name is being used. Would your enjoyment of a Fantasy novel be influenced if it were written by a Children's book author? A Romance novelist? A biographer?

I will admit it and say it probably would for me.

I still wonder who KJ Parker is. Maybe the mystery adds allure.

Granted. My point bring that not even the pen name was listed in this thread at the start. That would have been nice to have.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived