Chapter by Chapter Analysis (Spoilers)

Jinjoz

*** Make sure yall subscribe to this forum so you can keep up with the postings! I got one ready for each day this week and getting next week ready already!

25 - Eddard V - S1 E4

Commentary/Summary

We start off with Ned sitting down with Maester Pycelle enjoying a cup of honeyed iced milk which sounds absolutely delicious. I personally love hot milk with honey it (which makes me sound like I'm 75 years old and helps me sleep) but I never tried Iced. We will have to see how it is. Ned is here inquiring Maester Pycelle about the death of Jon Arryn and how it had happened. Pycelle is definitely one of those guys who talks...and talks... and talks... so points to Ned for being able to endure because I've talked with people like that and it kills me. So Pycelle tells him of the death, it came upon him quickly and they did what they could. One thing that I found interesting is that Pycelle mentions that there was another Maester there, Colemon. Pycelle sent him away because he felt he was overdoing it on the herbs and spices. Which I am curious, I wonder if Pycelle was in on the death of Jon Arryn and he sent Coleman away on purpose. Or Pycelle could be just the very tired and old man he is. But we shall see.

As they keep talking Ned brings up his suspicion that Jon Arryn was poisoned and Pycelle thinks it is possible. Than we get into a little talk about those who use poison as a weapon. According to Pycelle it is used by Cowards, Women, and Eunuchs. It is just interesting that it is this way, poison is such a stealthy way of killing someone and it is used for those who either don't want to look at the person they are killing in the eye or they can't physically kill someone else because they are weak. Once Pycelle mentions Eunuchs he instantly throws Varys under the bus and tells Ned not to trust him, and Ned agrees. So I still don't exactly know why people don't trust Varys. Sure he knows a ton of stuff and is the Master of Whispers but he hasn't really done anything to harm someone else. Wonder if there is a past or people just find him annoying.

Ned than inquires of the last few days of Jon Arryns life and it seems that he had checked a book out of Pycelle's library about the lineage of the great houses. So Ned pulls out his library card and reserves it and he is first on the waiting list, lucky. So Ned is off for his chambers. On the way there he runs into Arya who is hopping around on one foot near the stairs. Arya tells him she is training to be a water dancer and it is so cool how happy Arya is. She has been spending a lot of time in misery because of Myucha's death and the fact that people expect her to be a lady and she doesn't. But with Syrio training her she is open to be who she wants to be and it is awesome. Ned sits her down and tells her about the futures of Bran and her. Arya than has a mini freak out moment and just says she doesn't want to grow up just to marry someone and have kids. Which is understandable, she is very tom boy and she is happy with the skills she has chosen to develop

Than Littlefinger comes to visit Ned and he brings good news. Littlefinger gives Ned a couple people who were in service to Jon Arryn before he died who should have some information. Ned really appreciates this and all in all Littlefinger is being a pretty good to his word to Catelyn about helping Ned figure this whole thing out. Ned proposes that he calls for all these people and Litlefinger just chuckles and asks Ned to look out the window. Littlefinger than proceeds to point out a couple people and name who they report too. The guard reports to the Queen, the little boy outside the shop reports to Varys. Right here I think is when fully realizes how behind he is in this game. He is surrounded by people who are against him and they have network set up that is pretty intense. Ned is not prepared for this so we will have to see how he handles this. Ned thanks Littlefinger for his trust and Littlefinger responds, oh the best thing you ever did was distrust me. So we will have to keep our eye out on Littlefinger.

Book Owns

+1 to Ned for Endurance

+1 to Ned for being an awesome dad to Arya

+1 to Arya for being happy and determined

+1 to Littlefinger for informing Ned on what he is getting into

Favorite Character: Littlefinger. I know he wasn't in this chapter a lot but I feel his information is what is causing us to think the most. He is very deep and I'm excited to see hwat he is after.

Book Vs Show

So we get the first scene in the small council with Janos Slynt, which is actually from Eddard VI, and let me tell you he looks like the good pompous jerk he turns out to be. Once again, great casting. One thing I love about this scene is Varys, he just says a few lines that are just so obviously uncaring. There were robbings and stabbings! dreadful... just awesome. One thing is interesting is at this point I really like Varys in the show but I don't in the book. I think mainly it is the description on him in the books that really just put you off. the powdered hands, his whispering feet and all. Just makes him sound so creepy.

Ned waits for everyone to leave and starts chatting with Maaester Pycelle about Jon Arryn and one thing that is really cool about all this is they really pulled a lot out of the Eddard chapters and put it in this episode. So there chatting and Ned brings up the book and they go get it and the reaction is awesome. Ned says he wants to read it and the lookl he has on his face when he sees the book is so good! He flips a few pages, reads a small bit and is like 'ahh man... this is gonna suck'.

The next scene which I wasn't sure if they would put it in the show is Ned's moment with his daughter Arya. She's up there balancing on one foto and reciting all the lessons Syrio had taught her. One big change is there little conversation about Arya's future. In the book she bascially says 'that's Sansa future I don't want to be her!' really childish like but in the show she just says' that's not me' and continues to practice what she has learn. I personally love this change, it really shows that Arya has a good sense of purpose and knows what she wants. So points to her.

Next we get the scene where Littlefinger and Ned talk. They placed it in the garden at King Landing and I think it adds a better dynamic. Littlefinger is leading Ned through this garden, pointing out all the spies along the way and Littelfinger is jsut relishing in this. Ned is not in his element, he is a warrior not a politician and Littlefinger has a huge advantage in this game over Ned. I have to sometimes refrain from giving people points because a lot of times I want to give them jsut on their acting ability but we just have to keep in mind that Littlefinger is really tyoing with Ned... which makes him interesting... all right a point to him.

Show Owns

+1 to Arya for her strong purpose and desire

+1 to Varys for his funny comments.

+1 to Littlefinger for toying with Ned and winning.

Chapter 26 - Jon IV - S1 E4
Commentary/Summary
Back to the Wall we go! once again, thank thee for Skyrim fast travel. Jon is out in the training yard and he actually matured a whole lot from last time we saw him, shocker right? Jon is actually out giving advice to the others. As they are training one of the other guys points out that a new recruit has arrived and they are shocked and worried. Here comes waltzing in Samwell Tarlly apparently weighing 20 stones which I guess is pretty heavy.
So i love my wife. Just so yall know. = )
Anyways. So Sam is instantly thown right into training and man let me tell you, what a jerk on Thornes part. So he gets totally beat up by some of the non Jon Crew and John steps in and is like 'wow bro, totally not cool'. So Throne is like 'all right non Jon fan crew, go get him'. So they line up for the fight and it is Jon against 2 other guys. Than Pyp and Grenn show up for back up. And darn it Thorne! You actually taught Jon something. So he is the classic hard ass teacher that everyone hates but in the end he actually teaches Jon something.
Let's just point out that Jon actually has friends in this chapter, GO JON! Jon really has turned into this actual leader of these recruits which shows that he is a natural leader after he gets out of his whiney prideful phase. So him and the dudes totally beat up on the others defending Sam. The other guys weren't really pissed off at Jon and the others for defending Sam, most likely they were just following orders cause they seem to respect Jon for his change in attitude.
So they pick Sam up and they are asking him why he didn't fight back and Sam proclaims himself as a coward. We get a pretty intense reaction here actually. They all are shocked and can't believe he would say that. This mainly has to do with the type of culture they live in. People need to be brave because this is a cut throat world and people need to be brave. So I'm guessing that is the main reason behind there intense reaction. Another thing I thought of is that by proclaiming yourself a coward your respect level goes way down and in this world respect is a big deal.
So there cleaning up and we get some background on some on Jon's work on the Wall and his life, which is interesting enough, gets us involved in this culture of the Wall. Jon heads off to get his grub on and he finds Sam eating alone so being the good cool guy he is now goes and sits by him and they start chatting, very high school style. Eventually they get outside and hae some more personal conversations.
We learn that Sam was sent to The Wall by his father. Sam was the only son to a wealthy highborn who was very disappointed in Sam. Sam enjoys books, singing, dancing, and... kittens... it literally says kittens which is so funny so points to G.R.R.M. Sam enjoys the comfort of life and not the grungy side so The Wall is very much not Sam's favorite place. So Sam's dad did all he could to force him to be more manly, to the point of pretty funky rituals. His dad finally has another son so he tells Sam basically that he can either die or take the black. So Sam decided to take the black. Sucession is a huge part in this world, it kees the royalty in a particualr family and keeps the family name going as well and the high Lords are very particular about who takes there places and they will go to crazy lengths to get the right Lord or King on the seat.
We get two little history things here. Sam's family are bannermen to Mance Tyrell, Warden of the East. So a quick list here:
Warden of the North: Eddard Stark
Warden of the East: Jamie Lannister
Warden of the South: Mance Tyrell
Warden of the West: Tywin Lannister.
Interesting little note. Sam's family owns a huge greatsword made out of valarian steel called Heartbane while the Starks own a Valarian Steel Greatsword called Ice. Wonder if these greatswords will have a connection or maybe they are a type of gifts for royal houses? Something like that. So after Jon gets the low down on Same he decides that Sam deserves some sympathy. So he rounds up all the guys and is like 'hey guys we need to cut Sam a break, he's had a rough life let's try and not make his life hell while he is here'. Some take a little convincing but in the end thay all agree. This is a total high school moment of 'let's be cool to the new kid'.
Book Owns
-3 to Thorne. I wasn't actually going to put him in the rankings but I've decided he is a pretty big part of the Ngiht's Watch Crew. So I thought a -3 would be a good part to start him out
+2 to Sam for sympathy
+1 to Thorne sadly we have to admit he actually taught Jon something
+2 to Pyp
+2 to Grenn
+2 to Jon. These three get +2 for defending Sam and befriending him on multiple occasions.
+1 to Tyrion for influencing Jon in his decisions
+1 to Pyp for his comment 'he sings like pissed poured over a fart
+2 to Sam for sympathy again for his past
Favorite: Jon. He has matured a lot in this chapter, he was all negative point last time we saw him and now he is positive so he is warming back up to me.
Books Vs Show
The first scene we get is of Sam arriving at the wall and Jon having to defend him. The main change that they was that they had Grenn and Pyp fight Jon instead of defending him. Now at first I thought well heck that kind ruins the dynamic of Jon actually having friends now but they pulled it off in a way that Jon kicked the snot out of them but it was just an exercise after all. The next scene is on top of the wall and Jon is so funny! Sam walks up is like 'hey were souppose to be watch buddies!' and Jon gives that look of 'crap I got this guy as my science partner?'. Jon questions why Sam is here and we get Sam's backstory beautifully summed up. though I would have liked to hear him talk about those two priests from Qarth. Than we get Jon trying to rally everyone up to protect Sam and than the fight scene where everyone falls against Sam. Now I don't care how much of an ass Throne is to everyone, but he kicks them in the rear with his speech. While it is good of Jon for what he did Throne really brings it home with them needing Men beyonf the Wall.
We get a pretty funny added scene here. Jon and Sam are chilling cleaning tables when they start talking about girls. Both find out neither of them ever been with a girl. Jon talks about a moment where he was going to have sex with a girl named Ros (this Ros gets around) and he just couldn't do it. Sam just simply says 'so you didn't know where to put it than?" Which is hilarious! So than Jon goes on describes his worries of getting a girl pregnant. He doesn't want to father a bastard because he knows what it is like to live the life of a bastard which is pretty noble of him. Than Thorne comes in and kills the Bro mood by telling them all about the cold and how they had to eat a horse and other people and so on and so on. All in all a good scene to show Jon and Sam's broness
Show Owns
+1 to Jon for 'that look'.
+1 to Throne for his killer speech.
+1 to Sam 'did you know where to put it?'
+1 to Jon for not wanting to father a Bastard

Chapter 27 - Eddard VI - S1 E4

Commentary/Summary

Back to Ned for the weather! Ned is in the small council again and we get to meet Janos Slynt, the leader of the Gold cloaks or the castle guard. Since tourny has brought in so mnay nights and out of towners it has been cuasing a lot of problems for the people. Drunken hore rides, rapes, and a lot of theft so Janos is requesting more men. Most of the council just jests about it all but Ned tells him straight forward, hire more men and I'll provide you with more men from my own guard. Ned knows how to get things done. Ned is acting more like the proper king than Robert is at the momet. While it causes stress for Ned the Counsil goes and tries to convince him that all these peopel coming into town are good It puts money in the pockets of the people, it creates bonds between the houses and so forth. Talk turns to Stannis who has been on 'vacation' on Dragonstone ever since Robert rode for Winterfell. From what we get from the council Stannis is a very stern man, wanted all the brothels to be shut down in the city, which of course Robert refused to do. Ned ends the council and heads to his chambers.

Ned pulls out the book that Pycelle has given him and it just goes on and on about the generations of the Great houses, kind of like the Bible when it just tells who beget who. He goes over the Lannisters treee and it goes all the way back to a guy named Lann the Trickster which is interesting that he is named that. The Lannisters are known for their money and how crafty they are. Tyrion is a perfect example, he can get out of any situation with just his words. Most of the houses have a quality about them that dedfines them. Lannisters are tricksters, Starks are honorable, Targaryens are powerful, and so forth, its a very interesting dynamic. So he flips through all of this and Jory Cassell comes to see him. Jory has been going out and visiting with all the people Littlefinger suggested would know something about Jon Arryn. Most of them didn't turn up much but one thing they did was that the hand would often visit this armory that is up the Street of Steel. So they decide to pack up and go and see what he was up to.

So one thing we learn here is that Ned is trying to play the game here. With his plan set to go see this armorer he sent ahead a couple of his men up the street. As they passed by the guards would make sure no one was following them. Ned is a very small fish in this very big pond but you have to give him credit for at least doing something. One thing that really makes me smile though is that even with Neds little plan here he is still nervous about Varys and his 'little birds'.

So they go to this armorer who is a very flattering person. He makes custom armor for royalty and has mastered the art of valarian steel, coloring armor, and so forth. Ned asks him what the Hand and Stannis Baratheon would do when they came ot visit. The guy tells him that they would visit Gendry, one of the boys who worked their. Ned goes to see him and they chat for a little bit. And all it takes is for Ned to get a straight look at this boys face and Ned knows that this kid Gendry is one of Roberts bastards. Which doesn't surprise Ned at all when he finds out, I guess Robert gets around. But why would Jon Arryn go and visit this kid and put his life in danger for it? This is what Ned wonders and we shall see why later on.

Book Owns

-1 to Robert for puttng the load on Ned

+1 to Varys for scaring Ned even when he isn't around.

+1 to Ned for his killer detective skills

Favorite Character: Ned. He really just took some action in here, thought ahead, and was just doing good this chapter. so two points to him.

Book Vs Show

All right bring on the man candy ha ha. Gendry is pretty dang cool looking. So this scene is pretty accurate to the book. though it does it make it a little less believable that Ned just look at Gendry and was like holy snap it's Roberts Bastard. The background in the book made it more believable.

Than we get an interesting added scene between Jory Cassel and Jamie Lannister. Jamie is being Roberts doorman as he is there messing around with a couple ladies and it is interesting to see Jamies reactions to Jory's orders. First Jory comes in to deliver a message and Jamie is all 'oh I don't care', than they all of a sudden have this moment where they have a sort of soldier bro moment. They talk about Thoros of Myr with his flaming sword at the siege of Pyke and they have a good connection. Than Jamie gets all defensive again and says he doesn't serve Stark and Jory leaves. It's just an interesting look into Jamie. He resents most royalty and respects the soldiers of the royalty.

An added scene is where Cersei comes and visits Ned. This is definitely a threat to Ned. Ned has been poking around and Cersei does not like it one bit. She calls Ned out basically, tells her he has no place here, but Ned is duty and honor bound to do what he is doing. There is contention in the air and they both want to catch each other with red on their hands.

Chapter 28 - Catelyn V - S1 E4
Commentary/Summary
So let's just come to face it, and it is okay to admit this, some chapters aren't as exciting to others. This is one of them to me, so I'm gonna make a lame attempt at Thug Noting this one. And if you don't know what that is watch this first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oU0PtX85DY
So my girl Catelyn and her homeboy Ser Rodrick be traveling up the Kingsroad in no style at all. It be raining and he be freezing and he's B******* about being cold. They decide to chill up in a inn at the crossroads which is a place Catelyn hung around when she was a kid. The innkeeper be freaking creepy but they go anyways. They get a crappy room but they all be like 'yo, we need to stay under cover or else people gonna be gettin all crazy up in here. They go down and get their grub on. Some punk singer comes up and tries to talk to them, but Ser Rodrick be having non of that. He be just like my old pappy, hanging out on the porch and yelling at punk A** kids to get outta his face.
As there chillin, who happens to walk in but Tyrion Lannister himself. He walks in with some mean swagger, chucks a coin at some dude and buys his room from him just like that. He be ordering some mad grub for his men when he spots Catelyn and goes up and says 'what up my grr'. Catelyn be huffing and puffing because she be thinking 'bro you probably sent that dude to shank my kid, hell i am so taking you captive'. She stands up and goes all dramtic speech on us and calls out all the other dudes in the inn. She calls out their houses and be like 'ey dog, you and my daddy be cool right? Will ya help me capture this punk?' And they be like 'you got it grr'. Tyrion is captured and Catelyn be all feeling cool. Now what be down right fung shway about all this is these guys are loyal to the Tullys and it's pretty awesome that Catelyn can just ring them up and they instantly allign with her. Shows how strong of alliances each House has. Tyrion is just chilling there hoping to not get shanked yo!
All right so a quick serious note. Let's think about Catelyns actions here. So at this point Catelyn believe full heartily that Tyrion was the one who sent the guy to kill Bran, because of the information that Littlefinger gave her. Tyrion just happens to land right in her lap and she takes that opportunity to capture him. This act has HUGE consequences and all in all, not a very smart move on Catelyns part. In the grand scheme of things Catelyn is threatening the Lannisters right now who are in power over the Kingdom. Cersei is the queen, Jamie a member of the Kingsguard, and Tywin has a very powerful army. Now the Starks have a very powerful army too but Catelyn's husband and two children are in Kings Landing right now, what is stopping Cersei from holding them hostage? I guess Robert... hmmm this is interesting. We will just have to keep an eye out for things that are directly affected by this act on catelyn's part.
Book Owns
+1 to Catelyn for feeding Littlefinger Mud Pies
-2 to Catelyn for owning Tyrion at a very bad time
Favorite character: Ser Rodrick. Since Catelyn's actions are pretty dang questionable I have to give it Ser Rodrick.
Favorite Character for S1 E4: Little finger. I think tho is episode shows us the he is important and that we need to keep an eye on him. His knowledge is pretty amazing for him to know all the spies and everything. So go him

Chapter 29 - Sansa II - S1 E4

Commentary/Summary

We finally get out of that stuffy castle and we get to go to a tournament! Whoo! how exciting and Sansa is living it up right here. Her and Jeyne Poole get chaufered in a carrying thing like royalty. On the way there they get see all the knights entering the tournament. we get a couple good name drops here including Berick Dondarrian and Thoros of Myr who will come into the story later on. One thing that is absolutely amazing writing is as Sansa and Jeyne see these knights she recalls a few of the storied of their brave adventures. Some of them are pretty amazing and it makes you want to hear the back story of characters who are not that important to the story at all! Who doesn't want to hear about Thoros of Myr scaling the wall of Pyke with a flaming sword? How B. A. can ya get?

Along with the knights who have come out of town all of the members of the Kingsguard enter the tourney and I just wanna put up a quick list of them. There are alway seven members of the Kingsguard, have their own sigil and shield. Seven representing perfection leads this to be a pretty good number to protect the King:

Barristan Selmy

Jamie Lannister

Meryn Trant

Arys Oakheart

Boros Blount

Madon Moore

Preston Greenfield

So the tournament begins and when I first read it I was just kind of skimming through it but after you actually care about chracters and know who is who this tournament is actually pretty exciting. As it is going along The Mountain rides against a knight of The Vale and his joust goes right into his neck and kills him. He falls and lands right near Sansa and Sansa just kind of stares at him, not really caring because she doesn't know who it is, but this is the first time we know of that she has seen someone die. Not only can she now see Thestrals ( = ) ) but it is interesting how much it doesn't effect her. This is probably due to her being a Stark and deep inside she is a bit iron strong against all of this. Now let's think about this for a moment, the tourny is a dream come true for her and a big event in the book and a more bigger event in the show is a knight being killed. When she was on her little date with Joffery it was a dream come true and it ended with lady being killed. This is really waking her up to the reality that life is not a dream at all.

We get to the end of the tournament and the last four remaining are Jamie Lannister, The hound, the mountain, and Ser Loras Tyrell 'The Knight of the flowers'. Only thing that bugged me was that Loras Tyrell was barely mentioned throughout the tournament and he gets to be in the finals? Come on! Though we do get a moment between him and Sansa where Sansa could have farted out a rainbow at how magical it was. Loras rides by after a victory and hands her a red rose and she gets all fluttery eyed over it. She is living in her dream world today and she is so happy about it too

One little scene we get in between jousts is Littlefinger stopping by to say hi to Sansa which is pretty weird when you know the back story. Littlefinger was obsessed with Catelyn and he lost her to the Starks. and he is kind of hanging around Sansa cause she looks like Catelyn so much. Let's take a second and talk about Petyr's jewlery. He has on his doublet a pin in the shape of a mockingbird. He has tooken this as his personal sigil ratehr than the head of a titan from House Baelish. He chose this because of his rise in power to be the Master of coin. As we know, Littlefinger is very good at what he does. He tells lies, he tells the truth, he deceives and he is smart. He speaks to those he needs to and tells them what they want to hear so he can rise up. In my opinion he is one of the biggest players of the 'The Game'.

So they head off to the feast and to Sansa her night just got better cause Joffery is playing the 'I'm not mad at you so I'm going to pretend to be the prince you think I am' card. And man... Joffery is just so easy to hate. Even in this scene where he is being nice, courteous and complimenting her all we are think is 'shut up you little prick!' It's terrible. I tried to justify giving him points but you just read it and know he is faking it. The night ends when Robert throws a drunken fit and Cersei walks out. Just a quick note after he has his rage Renly actually offers him more wine so to me Renly is just feeding Roberts terrible behaivor and he see's it as no wrong.

So Sansa needs to be taken home and Joffery wants The Hound to do it. Now The Hound really is a scary person and right now he is drunk so honestly I was afraid for Sansa at this moment. We don't knwo a ton about the Hound before they start walking so we are actually worried that he might try and do something to her which is just filled me with worry to be honest. But nothing happens they are walking and Sansa compliemnts him on his jobi n the tourney. Than Sandor Clegane comes back at her and calls her a little bird and he tells her that she basically just repeats everything she has been taught to say. She follows the 'Rules to being a Lady' book to the T, she doesn't lie, she doesn't deceive or has confidence to be herself. She is like someone who is playing a board game, never read the rules, and does what the other players tell her to do even though it is making her lose.

Than we get to hear about how the Hound was burned so badly on his face. Basically he played with his brothers toy and The Mountain didn't like that. So He took his little brother and shoved him in the fire and burned most of his face off. Now why exactly does The hound even tell her this? I really don't know, as far as I know he was just drunk and felt like he had to tell her because Sansa was so frightened of him. The Hound doesn't like who he is and he just gets mad at those who are scared of him really. So he tells the story and he walks her to the castle and asks her not to repeat the story, or he will kill her, but in the nicest way ya can.

Book Owns

+1 to Sansa for being a tough gal and not flipping out over the death of the knight.

-1 to the Mountain for killing that Knight

-1 to Littlefinger for being a creep on Sansa

-1 to Sansa for being ignorant on Jofferys behaivor

-1 to Joffery for sucking up to Sansa

-1 to the Hound for scaring Sansa

+1 to Sansa for sympathizing with the hound

+2 to The Hound for sympathy

Book Vs Show

The big change we get here is we get Littlefinger telling Sansa the story of The Hound and the Mountain... now why? What does this do? Well it already sets Sansa in a mode to fear the Hound. It sets up the Mountain to be a pretty terrible person. We do lose that little connection between the Hound and Sansa later on. What does it do for Littlefinger? Well... it is a little creepy... but I think it is just him plotting his way to power through these small ways. planting a bit of fear into Sansa... oh you Littlefinger. Another change I just remembered is that we get a slightly different reaction when she sees the knight die. in the book we get the feeling that she was pretty stoic about it. In the show she was more effected by it and we can just see the shock on her face and she just can't look away from it. I personally like the way the TV show did it because it made the scene a little more worth it. The death of this knight affected her and most likely changed her in some way while in the boo kI feel like we just learned something about her.

Show Owns

+1 to Robert 'Start the Joust before I piss myself. And Cersei walks away.

+1 to Littlefinger for plotting when we don't even know it.

The scene of Sandor telling Sansa the story of his burns was supposed to be in the show at first - first it was meant to be in the pilot, then in episode 4, but they supposed changed it due to "production issues", whatever those were. One of the worst changes, IMO. In the book, it's a fantastic and emotionally charged scene when he tells the story himself, it builds the connection between him and Sansa, and it was the first moment where Sansa's character really got my interest - I love the way she stops being afraid of him and becomes concerned for him instead, and even tries to comfort him. In the show, you just get LF being creepy (which you get in a lot of other scenes as well, so it's not necessary) and Sansa being a scared little girl.

It's particularly a pity since that scene was used for Sandor's audition, and Rory McCann was terrific in it: http://youtu.be/TIWX2fPx-5k

The tourney was generally poorly done in the show - you could really see the lack of budget in season 1. In the books it's this huge, glamorous event with big crowds, in the show it looks, like someone said, "like a RenFair" and a particularly poor one, it looks like there are some 20 people or so watching it.

Loras and the Mountain are both first introduced here, I believe. It's like the tournament serves as an introduction of a bunch of characters who will be important later.

I believe i mentioned this in my chapter to review but the tourney chapter is one of my favorites becuase it made me 'feel' a lot. One of the things that really got me was when Sandor was the one who was going to bring Sansa back to her chambers I was legitly scared for her cause I thought Sandor was going to do something. But it completely does a 180 and your just like wow the Hound is actually a person we kind of care about now. I am pretty dang bummed out it wasn't in the show, really a waste to have Littlefinger say it in my opinion. Cause I'm pretty sure later on, season 3 or 4, the Hound tells his story to Arya as well and that was a good way for there connection to grow.

Having LF tell Sansa the story of the Hound's burns completely missed the entire point. It is not the story itself that is the most significant part of that speech, it is that Sandor chooses to tell Sansa the story he has not told anyone before. It is like he is crowning Sansa as his queen of love and beauty (at the tournament he then goes on to win).

She found his massive shoulder with her hand. “He was no true knight,” she whispered to him.
The Hound threw back his head and roared. Sansa stumbled back, away from him, but he caught her arm. “No,” he growled at her, “no, little bird, he was no true knight.”

His intent in telling the story is to shock and appall her. His bitter philosophy is aimed at destroying her belief in the songs and the concept of knights but Sansa manages to turn it around, touching the dormant part of Sandor that has been hidden since the day he played with the toy knight as a boy. Somewhere deep inside he still clings to a belief in 'true knights' and Sansa gets him to admit it. He then goes and commits a heroic act by saving Loras, an act of a 'true knight'.

Have you thought about posting this in the reread thread in the main forum? People may be more likely to find it and be able to contribute.

I didn't think about the re read project forum until you just mentioned it lol. See the thing is I have only read Game of thrones and I'm in the middle of clash of kings so I feel like if I posted it in the re read I would get a bunch of responses that include the series ya know? But i'll hope over there and see what the crowd is like

I didn't think about the re read project forum until you just mentioned it lol. See the thing is I have only read Game of thrones and I'm in the middle of clash of kings so I feel like if I posted it in the re read I would get a bunch of responses that include the series ya know? But i'll hope over there and see what the crowd is like

Then you better not go to the Re-read subforum. It's full of spoilers for all books, and people would definitely reply with spoilery comments from all the published books.

Here is your rankings for S1E4

Not many changes. Dany went up a bit, Ned keeps a strong lead, Jon is slowly working his way back up to the top. biggest climb is Littlefinger, he just has such a present that no matter what he does you enjoy watching him or reading him.

Eddard Stark: 31

Tyrion Lannister: 27

Arya Stark: 16

Jon Snow: 16

Petyr Baelish: 15

Ser Jorah Mormont: 10

Daenerys Targaryen: 9

Robert Baratheon: 8

Maester Luwin: 6

Bran Stark: 5

Samwell Tarly: 5

Renly Baratheon: 4

Kahl Drogo: 3

Pyp: 3

Robb Stark: 3

Barristan Selmy: 2

Grenn: 2

Rickon Stark: 2

Catelyn Stark: 1

Lord Varys: 1

Theon Greyjoy: 0

Allistar Thorne: -1

Tywin Lannister: -2

The Hound: -4

Jamie Lannister: -5

Sansa Stark: -6

Cersei Lannister: -9

Joffery Baratheon -9

Viserys Targaryen: -12

Hodor Count: 12

Chapter 30 - Eddard VII - S1 E5

Commentary/Summary

We get the aftermaths of the death of Ser Hugh which is funny cause his death while was a tragedy in the book we really didn't understand who he was until now. Ser Hugh was squire to Jon Arryn and had a good amount of information for Ned but wasn't able to share it all with him before he died. I don't think it says this explicitly but it is implied. The Mountain is a very skilled knight so it is doubtful that Ser Hugh was killed by accident, more that he was killed to prevent him from giving out his information to Ned.

Ned goes to see Robert and he is red in the face with fury. He's got two of his squires trying to fit him into his armor and it won't. The squires declare the armor to be too small but Ned just comes right out and says that you have gotten too fat for it. Robert tries to fake his upset but than praises Ned for his honesty. So Robert yells at his squires to go get him a stretcher for his armor, which knowing Robert there is no stretcher which made me laugh. So Ned and him start to chat and Ned asks about those squires and they end up being Lannisters. Robert is pretty blind to the fact that he is being surrounded by Lannisters and the power is in their favor, not his. This is actually shown by the fact the Robert gave into Cerei's command to kill Lady. The Lannisters are placing their pieces in the right spot, ready to attack. Cause if Robert dies than Joffery gets the throne, Cersi is queen, Jamie is in the guard, Tywin and Jamie own half of the armies, it's crazy!

So Robert is sitting there and he just starts to reminisce on his life. He talks about how he truly was who he was when he was winning this throne. He was on the battlefield, leading men, doing what he wanted. And it is interesting how even though he is King, the most powerful man in Westeros, he still can't be who he wants to be. So he does what he can which is why he wants to fight in melee but Ned brings him to reality and tells him that no one will fight against him. He will win because they will let him win and it just crushes his soul. Now how come Robert didn't think of this? Well it could be that he doesn't see himself as a king and therefore people don't and shouldn't treat him like one. He wants to be one of the the guys in a sense. Could be he just respects all these knights and they wouldn't do that to him. Another thought, since Robert never thought of this is this the first tournament he has tried to enter since he was king? That is kind of hard to believe knowing his love for fighting. Just a thought.

Robert than wishes he could just run off to Braavos, become a sellsword and do what he loves. Why doesn't he do that? Cause of Joffery. He is sad to admit it but he really really doesn't like Joffery. His fear is that when he leaves Joffery will become king and Cersei will just sand behind him and whisper her words to him and the power will reside with her. Now BAM! just saw this. Robert really understands that the Lanniosters are in power. While he is not the brightest crayon in the box he does notice these things, including his thought on Daenerys which we got at the beginning of the book.

Now this is where Ned makes a big mistake, which makes me sad. Ned is still on the hunt to find out if Jon Arryn was killed by the Lannisters and he is looking at Robert wanting to tell him but he needs more proof. He believes that when he does have the proof, Robert will be able to take care of it all and win. Ned doesn't think that the Lannisters have enough power to stop Robert and him but he so wrong. Since the Lannisters have such political influence on the people, the guards, everything, Ned can't really stop them by believing in Robert. In fact I wonder if it was even possible for Ned to defeat the Lannisters... interesting thought....

Now onto the Tournament! So we have the final three matches here. First is The Hound vs Jamie Lannister. Jamie Lannister gets the first hit, but The Hound comes back and wins. Than we get the fight between Lora Tyrell and The Mountain. We get some background on the Mountain and this dude is just a real crazy. He can go hang with the Dothraki, he will fit right in. So as they are getting ready the Mountains horse starts acting up but he rides on. It throws off his aim and Lora Tyrell takes The Mountain down! The Mountain than gets up, takes his greatsword and cuts his horse's head almost off and than goes after Loras. He knocks him down and than the Hound comes in and defends him, holding off the Mountain until Robert stops the fight. The Mountain leaves and Loras Tyrell gives the Hound the win for their match for saving his life.

So Ned and everyone heads off to the after party and Ned is shocked to see Sansa actually taking an interest in Arya's water dancing lessons and are pleasant to each other. Sansa is most likely on a high of dreamyness and will be in a good mood for a while no matter what. Ned finds Arya to be all bumped up and bruised and he is a bit concerned that Syrio is being a little ruff on Arya and suggest that Barristan Selmy or Jory Cassel teaches her instead but Arya refuses. I think the main reason Ned isn't too fond of Syrio of this moment, along with him being a bit ruff on his daughter, is that Syrio style is very foreign to Ned and he doesn't believe Arya will be trained properly because of it. Just the classic Stark way of sticking to traditional things.

Okay let's take a moment and talk about Stannis and Lysa. Ned heads off to his chambers pondering about Jon Arryn and he notes that Lysa is keeping quiet and Stannis still hasn't come back from Dragonstone, why? We know that Lysa suspects the Lannisters so she could be keeping quiet because of fear? Possibly she was involved in Jon Arryns death? Stannis could be looking ahead and realizing the Lannisters are taking over and he doesn't want to get involved in a blood bath. He could have been involved? I think that these two are just being catious really cause they just have a feeling something is gonna go down.

Varys comes to visit Ned and we get a drop bomb of information from him. First off Varys comes in disguise and all of a sudden we like him a bit more without his silks and powdered hands, he feels like a normal person in this moment. He informs Ned that the Lannister were trying to get Robert killed in the Melee. Cersei forbade him to fight which is exactly what you need to do to get Robert to do anything! While Varys knew of this plan he didn't tell Ned because Varys didn't know if he could trust him. So Varys took that opportunity to see what Ned would have done and he made the right choice by going to Robert and persuading him not to fight.

On the note of Varys I had a few thoughts. Compare Varys to Littlefinger at this moment. Littlefinger came to Ned to help him and simply gave him a couple names for him to go and see and also help Ned realize how many spies are out there. Varys comes to Ned in a pretty peaceful way and give him some straight answers and reveals the plot to murder the king so that Joffery can take his place. So at this point varys would be a little more powerful to have on your side when it comes to information. than again Littlefinger does have money... Another thing Varys does is he said he gave counsel to Jon Arryn and he says it in a way that he does this with all the Hands. Varys really understands that the Hand is just as powerful as the King is for the most part and values them as equals. In this situation I think Varys values ned higher than Robert because Robert hates being the King.

Book Owns

+1 to Ned for being honest about Roberts Fatness

+1 to Robert for sending his squires on a 'Quest'.

+1 to Robert for being more observant than we thought.

-2 on The Mountain for just being a bad dude

+1 to Loras Tyrell for having some style

-2 to the Mountain fir freak out sore loser moment

+1 to Loras for name The Hound the winner

+2 to the Hound for defending Loras

+1 to Varys for the disguise

Favorite character: I'm gonna give it to Varys. He really stepped it up in this chapter. He made a big play by letting Ned in on this plot to kill the King. Now the question is why? either way he did an awesome job.

Book Vs Show

I don't know why but the scene where Ned and Robert talk about him being in the tournament was done so well. Robert just has this who gives a flip attitude. His gut is hanging out and it turns out there is no such thing as a breastplate stretcher. Poor Lancel, he just looks like a real dweeb. Right along with Ser Loras... sheesh that hair I'm telling ya. And than you got Littlefinger just yelling out to everyone he is gonna buy a girl from the pleasure House of Lys.

When the Hound gets up and defends Ser Loras from him brotehr The Mountain, I think this is the moment that we start to like him. In the show and especially the books The Hound constantly is reminding people that he is not a knight and yet him defending Ser Loras was probably one of the most knightly things we have seen. Look at the Mountain though. He is a ruthless killer, a sore loser, and a knight. The Hounds brotehr has tainted his view on knights and just sees them as normal men breaking a promise they have made. The Hound hasn't made those oaths, therefore he can't break them. There could be a good connection with religion here, in the sense of hypocrites when it comes to their actions deferring from their beliefs.

Verys comes to meet with Ned and disclose his information about the death of Jon Arryn. To me Varys has an aura of respect but not one he demands. We listen to his words because he has so much information, he tells Ned he didn't come to him until now because he didn't trust him. Would Varys all of a sudden disclose all of his information to Ned now because he trusts him? No I don't think so. A visual thing that may not be credible but Almost the entire scene Varys is shown as being half in the dark. one side of his face in the light, the other in darkness and this is such a two face moment. Varys could be working for either side and we have no idea what his next move is going to be.

Show Owns

+1 to Robert for his gut

+1 to Ned for putting up with Roberts jests.

-1 to Ser Loras for looking like a bad version of fabio

-1 to Littlefinger for shooting his mouth off.

+1 to Ned for the look he gives Ser Loras when he gives Sansa the flower.

+1 to Varys for his Aura of Respect.

Chapter 31 - Tyrion IV - S1E5

Commentary/Summary

Tyrion is off to Winterfell.... Psyche! The Eyrie! So we get the aftermath of Catelyn taking Tyrion as a hostage and all in all you have to give a point to Tyrion. We get his little flashback thoughts and he kept his cool, he felt confident that his father would catch up with Catelyn before they reached Winterfell so he actually went quietly with her on this little trip to be judged oh his crime. So Catelyn ties him up, throws a bag over his head and they head off. When she revels where they are at Tyrion is not too happy. They headed East instead of North and threw off the trail for the Lannisters to follow. Not a lot of people outwit Tyrion but Catelyn just did and Tyrion admits to it.

Being outsmarted has really put a bitter taste in Tyrion's mouth. At one point he kinda does a roll call of all the people who are on this trip and he promises to 'pay the debt' as the Lannisters always do. this is a pretty angry/dark side of Tyrion to me. I guess we just always see him as a witty drunk but he has his rough days. One thing they begin to discuss is the reason Catelyn has taken him hostage, for the attempted murder of Bran. Now the thing is this, we like Tyrion.When he talks it makes total sense as well! So we don't think Tyrion did it. He brings up a couple things. Why would someone arm a hired thug with his own dagger and would Tyrion really bet against family? Tyrion's only real friend right now is Jamie so it backs the thought that Littlefinger did lie to Catelyn. Catelyn takes a lot of this inn and we actually physically see moments in her eyes of her doubt.

So why does Catleyn not just release him if she is doubting what she is doing? part of it is pride I assume. Catelyn is a tough southern girl and wants will follow through what she has planned. She is a proud mother and wants to find his person who tried to kill her son. I think the biggest reason is that she is in too deep at this moment. She has captured the son of a very powerful family, she can't just hand him back and say sorry. So we will just have to wait and see what happens

As they are discussing this one of the sellswords spots a bunch of the Mountain clans men riding in to attack. Tyrion grabs Catelyn and tells her she needs to arm him and his men so that they can win. She agrees and they set up defense. All in all they take them out pretty decently. Ser Rodrick is B.A. Bronn is out their duel wielding and you got another guy shooting arrows left and right all Legolas style. Tyrion get s a few kills in there but the most important part is he sees Catelyn surrounded and while he has a moment of wanting her to die he comes in and kills one guy, injures another and Catelyn finishes him off and than the third horsemen had an urgent engagement elsewhere and ran off. Oh George, some of the best ways to describe things. If your hostage is willing to save your life than someone is off about what you are doing.

Book Owns

+1 to Tyrion for keeping his cool in the Inn

+2 to Catelyn for outwitting Tyrion

-1 to Tyrion for his intense revenge for all the sellswords that agreed to bring Tyrion in.

+1 to Tyrion for 'does a bear shit in the woods?'

-1 to Tyrion for demoralizing Catelyn

+1 to Bronn for his intense duel wielding

+1 to Bronn for his 'Nothing like a women after a fight.

Favorite character: Tyrion. He has been outwitted by Catelyn but he totally destroys her accusations with his words. Littlefinger lying and him not betting on his brother makes total sense people!

Books Vs Show

In the scene where the hill tribes attack Catelyn and her party is one of the first quite violent scenes that we get and it is used very successfully. This attack really comes out of nowhere it just shocks us, along with the blood and violence. One big thing changed though to me. In the book Tyrion is very mad that he got outwitted but he fully accepted it. In the show he actually has a moment where in the middle of the fight he is seeking out one of the horses so he can run away which I really didn't like as much. Most likely it is just because I like Tyrion and I don't want to think of him as someone who is out for himself but he really is. And by the way Catelyn... really? I feel like she just coward-ed there and didn't do anything when she could

We get two added scenes right after this one. The first is of Theon practicing shooting arrows while bran and Maester Luwin practice their knowledge on the Noble Houses. This is an awesome scene because Maester Luwin is so dedicated to the Starks and their education and growing up that you can't help but love him. Bran bitterly recites the names of the Noble Houses, their sigil, and their words until he gets the Lanisters wrong. He angrily recites the other houses words until he says the Tully words, 'Family, Duty, Honor.' This sparks up Brans disdain for his mother at the moment. He feels quite abandoned which is very understandable and it takes Maester Luwins wise words to bring him back to reality that his mother does love him. Bran than is like... well.... oklay she loves me... but I'll never shoot an arrow! And Maester Luwin tells him if he can ride a horse he can shoot an arrow, which would be really dang awesome if Bran gets boss at that.

The next added scene is a sex scene between Theon and Roz. Theon has the attitude that he owns her and she is a pretty sassy person as well. She matches him quip for quip and we get a little look into his character. He has been a ward to the Starks for 9 years, half of his life, and we get the sense that his loyalty to House Greyjoy is weak because of this. I'm never a fan of these scenes so I don't get much out of them really.

Show Owns

-1 to Tyrion- There is a point where he tells Catelyn that her sister has changed and it comes off as more of an attack on Catelyn than just informing her. granted Catelyn did take him hostage so I'm sure it is granted. Now that I am thinking about this I feel that the Show actually portrayed what it would be 'really' like if Tyrion was captured. Tyrion did just kind of accept defeat in the book and moved on.

-1 to Catelyn for not doing anything!

+2 to Bronn for kicking some trash! He was obviously the most skilled fighter and had some good finishing moves.

-1 to Theon for his pompous attitude with Roz

+1 to Roz for her quips and keeping up with theon. She definitely Owns him here.

Chapter 32 - Arya III - S1 E5

Commentary/Summary

Arya is out and about today with only one goal in mind, Catch the black devil... A cat! But not just any cat. this cat has a rep and it is living up to it apparently. This cat is so famous that Arya asks a guard about him and the guard goes off on this story about the black devil, how it rules the domain. He told Arya that this cat had snuck up on Tywin Lannister and stole a piece of chicken right out of his hands and the King laughed all night over it. Arya is chasing after this cat and she is just reciting all these quotes that Syrio Farell had taught her. Quiet as a shadow. Fast as a deer. Things like that. Actually I am kind of curious cause all of the quotes Syrio says are related to animals, I wonder if any of his quotes will foreshadow an event for one of the houses. Hmmm I'll have to look into that.

Even though Arya is turning into the amazing ninja, little girl, fencer person, one thing she hasn't learned yet is her sense of direction. So she finally catches the cat and but than she gets caught by a giant of a Sept, Prince Tommen, and Princess Myrcells. This is the first time that she is actually mistaken for a boy and as such they believe her to be running around the castle just causing a ruckus! So the guards try to catch up but Arya is just so fung shway awesome that they miss her and she runs off. She gets kind of loss in the chase and ends up in a super dark chamber. She starts walking around and as her eyes adjust she finds the skulls of dragons in this big hallway. Just saying this would scare the crap out of me. Just reading the descriptions of how she is reacting to this spooks me out, so good!

While she hanging around she hears two voices coming from another hallways so naturally she hides and listens in. From the clues we are give and the descriptions of these two we can conclude that this is Varys and Illyrio, that's right that dude who lived in Pentos and house Dany and Viserys! So there chatting and more importantly plotting! They are talking about Ned here and they are concerned he knows too much about SPOILER! Joffery being Jamie and Ceresi's child. Illyrio is concerned that when Ned gets some sort of proof that a war is going to rage and they are trying to do what they can to benefit from this war. Illyrio suggests that they kill Ned so that the war doesn't start earlier than they are planning but Varys doesn't agree to that plan, which is pretty cool, points for Varys. What it sounds like mainly is Illyrio is managing Dany and her army and Varys is managing this side of the map. So they wonder off and Arya is like 'Scrud I gotta get outta here."

So Arya goes down a hallways, gets in the sewers and head off to safety. She lands outside of the caste smelling pretty bad so she cleans up and heads back to her dad. Before she gets there she has to get past the guards who won't believe that she lives in the castle. Arya pulls out the daddy big guns and they let her pass. She goes up to her dad and tries will all her little 9 year old brain to tell him what she heard in the dungeon. So I was actually mentally prepared to hate on Ned at this moment but if you read how Arya is saying all of this it is true that it is hard to believe. She is stumbling over her words and saying things the way she thinks it was and so on. Ned basically brushes it off at first but than Yoren comes in and wants to chat with Ned. Arya is sent to her room worrying about father, but the guard assures her they will protect him. So while Aray didn't explain it all very well but if your daughter comes up to you and says 'yo I just heard a couple guys say they might kill you' that means you need to be on your toes and ask her for more details.

Book Owns

+1 to Arya for catching 'The Black Devil'

+1 to Arya for her sass to the guards

-1 to Ned for not taking Aray seriously

Favorite character: Arya. She has some of the best adventures in this book and I think we see the most growth from her as well.

Book Vs Show

While the scene with Arya is pretty boring to be honest and standard the real amazing part is the one that is in between all the others. Littlefinger is in the Throne Room waiting for the small Council meeting, showing his ambition. Varys enters and they start chatting. First about brothels, Lords with weird fetishes for women. So Varys is attacking Littlefinger about his business than Littlefinger goes straight for the balls... not really but he basically makes fun of Varys for him being a Eunuch. Than we get this little war of information. Varys tells him that he knows Littlefinger is helping Ned discover what the Lannisters have done and Varys threatens to tell the Queen. Littlefinger than gets the last word in and tells him that he knows that Varys has met with Magister Illyrio. This is a big call out actually. At least to me Varys was the one who was more powerful than Littlefinger. Varys always had the information, he is so soft and 'gentle?' that you don't suspect him. With Littlefingers information though it puts him on top of the totem pole at the moment. Overall this is an amazing scene.

Show Owns

+1 to Varys for his strong information

+2 to Littlefinger for winning the war of information.

+1 to Varys for his last little quip 'haven't you heard?'

Chapter 33 - Eddard VIII - S1 E5
Commentary/Summary
This chapter really starts off with a bang which is kind of jarring. Ned and Robert are in the Small Council meeting and they are going for blood here. Kind of unsure how I feel about the starting of this chapter because there really isn't a build up to how this argument started. It gets the point across though. So Robert has gotten news that Dany is pregnant and this is a big problem for him. One of Roberts reason for rebelling was to rid this land of Targaryens and now they are reproducing again and he wants to stamp it out. Now Ned's honor won't allow this and fighting against Dany being assassinated. Robert tells Ned that he knows what to do when the shadow of an ax is looming over his neck and Ned tells him that there is no ax meaning that there is nothing to worry about when it comes to Dany, the Dothraki will never cross the Narrow sea. This is a pretty intense foreshadow to the death of Ned. Ned did not see his death coming because of his greatest weakness. Ned believes that everyone is as honorable as him or should be and that is what truly go him killed. He didn't believe the ax was there but it was, even though he was killed by a sword but the same thing, and I wonder if this means he is wrong about Dany. I wonder how much of a threat Dany will be to Westeros.
Than we get a quote from Ned referring to Ser Barriston. He served The Mad King during his reign and received a royal pardon from Robert and was allowed to stay on the Kings guard. He says that 'Mercy is Never a mistake'. I wonder if that is true. While on one hand you do have a clean conscious, it is the loving thing to do to forgive another but on the other hand having mercy for Dany might lead to deat hand destruction of Westeors. I am actually pretty torn on this, most likely because I do like Ned and I want to side with him but I don't fully agree with this statement. Any thoughts? Yet even after all of this King Robert pulls out the 'I'm your king and you'll do as I say card'.
The Counsel takes a quick vote and everyone but Selmy and Ned agree that Dany needs to be killed. Ned refuses to be apart of this and he resign as hand of the King. Ned resigning and Ned's objection to killing Dany has really shocked Robert. He isn't used to being opposed when it comes to politics, mainly because no one on the Small counsel wants to deal with him. Robert rarely attends the meetings, and possibly is only there right now cause Ned insisted he come. The Counsel really doesn't counsel Robert and even when he commands them to counsel him they really just give default answers or agree with him cause they don't exactly care at the moment.
So Ned leaves to the storming rage of Robert. A lot of thoughts are flying through Ned's brain right now as he heads for his chambers. He has decided that him and his family need to leave Winterfell. He gets Jory to start packing up and he keeps thinking of ways to leave, by boat or by horse and so on. One moment we get in Ned's head is his thoughts on Robert and honestly this really bugged me. So Ned is thinking of how much Robert has changed and than he compares to anger that Robert has for Ned right now and the anger that Robert has for Rahegar for the past fifteen years. Ned really? You think just cause you have disagreed with Robert that Robert would do that to you? You have known each other your whole life he isn't going to dump you off the side of the wagon here. So as he is planning Littlefinger pops in and honestly just starts to jest at Ned giving him a play by play of what happened after the meeting. But than Littlefinger proposes that they visit a brothel for some very important reason and the chapter ends. Right now Ned is trying to opt out of the game but Littlefinger is telling him that you can't just leave. You either win or you die, those are the only ways out.
Book Owns
-1 to Varys for not really carrying
-1 to Ned cor... Not sure. He is being stubborn on the point and I see his leaving Robert as Hanmd a prideful moment
-1 to Ned for comparing Roberts anger for Rahgar and his hanger for himself
Favorite character: Littleginger, but only +1. Mainly cuase he was only in the last scene but he is keeping Ned in this game which cna be a good thing or a bad thing, we will jsut have to wait and see.
Books vs Show
Okay we have to remember something. No one in Kings Landing knows about Catelyn taking Tyrion at this moment. Yoren informs Ned and Ned gets a bit paranoid when he is summoned to the Small Council but it is to speak about Daenerys Targaryen. So Much shouting! Robert is pissed at... basically everyone and the council is really no help. No one comes to the aid of Ned and he resigns from being Hand of the King. Points to this scene though. In the books, Ned resigning really wasn't this huge thing that happened. It was but the consequences of it seen bigger in the show. He is in a rush to leave, there is a bigger sense of urgency in it, Robert speaks of Ned committing treason, and there is just more uregency all around which I like. The book just made it feel and sound like, well that sucks, kind of thing.
We get an added scene between Loras Tyrell and Renly Baratheon and... I apologize but Loras we get it, your gay, you don't need to over act it. Sorry I just feel he played the stereotypical gay person and it just seemed not real to me. So Renly is pretty much a woose. He has never fought in a war, he is concerned about the line of succession, and feels he has no chance to become king. Loras is the one who is pushing him forward, provifing the money he would need to raise an army, telling him the truth that people love Renly and that he is a good guy. I am actually team Renly all he way,I think he would be a great King for the people. A king in the time of war... thats another story.
We get one of the best added scenes I have seen yet next and it is between Robert and Cerrei. We have seen them in public and it usually ends with Robert hitting or wanting to hit Cersei. She comes in and start to chat about Daenerys and we get to truly see Robert in his element here. We have seen him in small council meetings and he isn't a whole lot of help there but when it comes to war Robert knows what is up.He knows if the Dothraki land they will win. The Dothraki have one purpose and that is to take over the land abut the Seven Kingdoms are divided and want different things. Ned just wants to go Home, Tywin wants the world. Robert may be a terrible king but he is an amazing General of the army. Robert wonders how this whole Kingdom has stayed togetehr and Cersei says its there marriage that keeps it together and they laugh at that. Than they have a pretty personal moment where she tells Robert about the time she did actually love him and Robert says he never loved Cersei. He only had eyes for Lyanna and he can't even remember what she looks like. Like I said one of the best added scenes I've seen so far.
Show Owns
+1 to Loras for helping Renly realize how much of a claim he ha to the Throne.
+2 to Robert for being in his element and his moment with Ceresei
+2 to Ceresei for her moment with Robert and her 'Our marriage' comment

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for my break,life happened and such and I got off track from this project. I lost a little of my steam but I watched a couple behind the scenes videos fro Game of Thrones and it fueled me right back up. I've got three chapters ready to go I just need to read through them and also get started on the next set of chapters. It might take me an extra week to get back ion the flow but I'll keep it rolling

Chapter 34 - Catelyn VI - S1E5
Commentary/Summary
Catelyn has finally arrived at the Bloody Gate, the entrance to the Eyrie. It cost her six brave men to get there and she is experiencing some grief over this. She is beginning to doubt that Tyrion sent the assassin to kill her son and she is starting to think that those men died for no reason at all. It is hard for us to understand why Catelyn believes Tyrion did it cause to us it is obvious that he didn't. Why is that you ask? Well we have been in Tyrion's head, we know that he went to Bran and helped him, why would he have tried to kill him and than help him, unless he is just thayt much a jerk. Now why is Catelyn so persistent that he is the guy? Even in just this half of the book we have seen Catelyn starting to inherit the traits of a Stark. She believes that Tyrion has done something and he needs to answer for it, so part of it is her morals. Another thing is her pride and the situation she is in. You can't just kidnap the son of the most powerful man in Westeros and than say well sorry about that. Plus men have died trying to bring him to court and Catelyn will not let them die in vain. So even though were on Tyrion side, I understand why Catelyn is doing this.
So Catelyn meets up with her uncle the Black Fish and we have a nice reunion. He is basically that single uncle that all of his nieces and nephews come to cause he is so cool who at the end of the movie you find out is an alcoholic with a very tragic back story and you feel for him. A couple of the guards explain to Catelyn that Lysa Arryn, Catelyn sister, has commanded that all knights are to stay in the Vale even though she gives no reason. So why isn't she won't even let her knights go to the tournament? So far we haven't met Lysa but we get the feeling that is a little paranoid already. I think mainly she is a home body, hide away from the problems of the world and they can't hurt you. She could be anticipate an attack or saving her troops for a war that might happen. I'm going to go with paranoid cause she believes the Lannisters killed her husband so she is holding on to what she has so there is no intruders. Just a couple thoughts to mull around.
So they get the lay down of how to get to the Vale. There is basically three gates beyond the bloody that guard the Eyrie, Stone, Snow, and Sky and each one is harder to get to than the last. Most of Catelyn crew stay behind except for the Bard, Bronn, and Tyrion. Catelyn isn't too keen on this because Bronn and Tyrion bromance has begun and she is worried that Bronn will switch sides. So they head off and she chats with Black Fish about her sister and so on.
Let's take a second and really appreciate this place. This is a very long chapter compared to others and a good chunk of it is used to describe this place. The road just to get to Eyrie can kill you, let alone trying to siege it. Its hidden away in the mountains, the road is rocky, steep, slippery, and an uphill climb all the way. The views are breathtaking from my imagination and it is just awesome, go you George. Another thoughts, how the heck did they build this place? They have to haul all of that building material through the craziest terrain ever and they have to build a building that looks down on the clouds! It blows my mind!
Once they get to the next Gate a message is sent from Lysa that she requests Catelyn to come up to her to right away which is a big thing to ask. So the crew stay and Catelyn moves on and we get to meet Myra Stone, who I am pretty sure is one of King Roberts bastards. She is the guide for Catelyn to get to the Eyrie and Catelyn is not happy about this, why? Cause Myra is a bastard.... Seriously Catelyn? I mean it, she is driving me nuts with this! She just automatically judging her because of something she had no control over, drives me nuts!
So were on the final stretch to the Eyrie and Mrya is really being quite an awesome gal. She says she reminds her of Sansa because Myra is all sweet on someone and Catelyn starts judging her on that too. Just doesn't end. So they have to cross this very narrow spot and Myra practically dances across but Catelyn is really wigging out and can't really pull it off. Myra heads back for her and comforts her across the the ledge. This is exactly what Catelyn needed. So this whole time Catelyn pride has just been going up and up and her judgments get a little harsher and than we get this humbling moment for her and it is well needed. All that crap she is thinking about Mrya are out the window when she needs her help. This is further emphasized when she gets to the final gate and she says that her pride isn't as high as the Lannisters and decides to ride up the rest of the way in a basket of turnips. While it could be just didn't want to walk the rest of the say, we will pretend she was humbled.
So we get to go in and meet a Lysa and just like how Robert was a disappointment to Ned Lysa is a disappointment to Catelyn. She has changed from the happy Sansa like character to a pretty paranoid lady. Her welcoming was warm but as soon as they are alone she flips out on Catelyn, wishing she didn't bring a alannister around to harm her little six year old king Robert. Catelyn is trying to get Lysa to understand the situation but she uses her son as a shield against the reality of life saying not to say anything in front of the boy. She even at one point while out a boob and he breast feeds... Which Catelyn is just floored by that one. Once again Catelyn is feeling like she hasn't thought this kind through and just can't catch a break.
Book Owns
-1 to Catelyn for not letting go of her pride and stubbornly bringing Tyrion to Court
-1 to Catelyn for her bias against bastards
-1 to Lysa for breast feeing her kid at the age of six
+1 to Catelyn for getting her pride and taking the turnip basket
-1 to Lysa for shielding herself from reality
Favorite Character: Myra Stone, kind of sad cause she isn't really that big of a character but she is awesome. Maybe later on, we shall see.
Book Vs Show
So we skip over a lot in this scene. No Black Fish, no Myra Stone, no trip over the narrow bridge. This is kind of sad to me because the visuals I know would have been amazing but budget I;m sure wouldn't allow for it. The Eyrie though still looks absolutely amazing! I love the great work that they have done on this show! It's amazing! Oh and we get an awesome line from Bronn. The Eyrie is inpregnible. Give me five men with hooks and I'll impregnate the bitch. Oh Bronn. So they get to The Eyrie and meet Lysa. I think this was a better scene over the book having Catelyns conversation with Lysa public rather than private. Main reason is so that we can see the looks on Catleyn and Tyrion's faces while Lysa is talking. they are both looking at her thinking 'She is bat crap crazy!'. So funny! Oh man. Ya but i think this is moment when we realize that Catelyn decision wasn't the best to bring Trion to the Eyrie.
Show Owns
+1 to Bronn for him wanting to impregnate the Eyrie.

Apologies for my break,life happened and such and I got off track from this project. I lost a little of my steam but I watched a couple behind the scenes videos fro Game of Thrones and it fueled me right back up. I've got three chapters ready to go I just need to read through them and also get started on the next set of chapters. It might take me an extra week to get back ion the flow but I'll keep it rolling

Chapter 34 - Catelyn VI - S1E5

Commentary/Summary

Catelyn has finally arrived at the Bloody Gate, the entrance to the Eyrie. It cost her six brave men to get there and she is experiencing some grief over this. She is beginning to doubt that Tyrion sent the assassin to kill her son and she is starting to think that those men died for no reason at all. It is hard for us to understand why Catelyn believes Tyrion did it cause to us it is obvious that he didn't. Why is that you ask? Well we have been in Tyrion's head, we know that he went to Bran and helped him, why would he have tried to kill him and than help him, unless he is just thayt much a jerk. Now why is Catelyn so persistent that he is the guy? Even in just this half of the book we have seen Catelyn starting to inherit the traits of a Stark.

How so? Because she's persistent? That's what Catelyn is like. Why would you think that was some specifically "Stark" trait? The Starks unrelated to Catelyn that we know - Ned, Benjen and Jon - don't seem more persistant than anyone else.

Once they get to the next Gate a message is sent from Lysa that she requests Catelyn to come up to her to right away which is a big thing to ask. So the crew stay and Catelyn moves on and we get to meet Myra Stone, who I am pretty sure is one of King Roberts bastards. She is the guide for Catelyn to get to the Eyrie and Catelyn is not happy about this, why? Cause Myra is a bastard.... Seriously Catelyn? I mean it, she is driving me nuts with this! She just automatically judging her because of something she had no control over, drives me nuts!

"Judging her"? She's not judging her in any way or disliking her... she just has an unpleasant thought because she's reminded of Jon - it's not about Mya at all - and then she feels guilty about it:

It did not please her; it was an effort for Catelyn to keep the smile on her face. Stone was a bastard’s name in the Vale, as Snow was in the north, and Flowers in Highgarden; in each of the Seven Kingdoms, custom had fashioned a surname for children born with no names of their own. Catelyn had nothing against this girl, but suddenly she could not help but think of Ned’s bastard on the Wall, and the thought made her angry and guilty, both at once. She struggled to find words for a reply.

So were on the final stretch to the Eyrie and Mrya is really being quite an awesome gal. She says she reminds her of Sansa because Myra is all sweet on someone and Catelyn starts judging her on that too. Just doesn't end. So they have to cross this very narrow spot and Myra practically dances across but Catelyn is really wigging out and can't really pull it off. Myra heads back for her and comforts her across the the ledge. This is exactly what Catelyn needed. So this whole time Catelyn pride has just been going up and up and her judgments get a little harsher and than we get this humbling moment for her and it is well needed. All that crap she is thinking about Mrya are out the window when she needs her help.

Oh come on, when was Catelyn "judging" Mya for being in love?! She wasn't judging her, or disliking her - she felt sympathetic and sorry for her, because Mya is in love with a guy from an old noble family of the Vale, someone of a much higher status, and hoping to marry him. She's still very naive and doesn't understand that the guy will never marry her. Catelyn feels sorry because she knows the reality of the society - the class structures are very firm in Westeros, a nobleman would not marry a bastard, so realistically, Mya's boyfriend is just going to sleep with her for a while and then marry some noblewoman.

The girl made a face. “Torches just blind you. On a clear night like this, the moon and the stars are enough. Mychel says I have the eyes of the owl.” She mounted and urged her mule up the first step. Catelyn’s animal followed of its own accord.

“You mentioned Mychel before,” Catelyn said. The mules set the pace, slow but steady. She was perfectly content with that.

“Mychel’s my love,” Mya explained. “Mychel Redfort. He’s squire to Ser Lyn Corbray. We’re to wed as soon as he becomes a knight, next year or the year after.”

She sounded so like Sansa, so happy and innocent with her dreams. Catelyn smiled, but the smile was tinged with sadness. The Redforts were an old name in the Vale, she knew, with the blood of the First Men in their veins. His love she might be, but no Redfort would ever wed a bastard. His family would arrange a more suitable match for him, to a Corbray or a Waynwood or a Royce, or perhaps a daughter of some greater house outside the Vale. If Mychel Redfort laid with this girl at all, it would be on the wrong side of the sheet.

See most of the things when it came to Mya Stone was how I viewed it. She hears her last name as Stone, her first thought is of Jon, and she categorizes Mya as a bastard. Catelyn does have a prejudice against bastards because of how Jon Snow has affected her. It's really all in the tone that I read Catelyn's thoughts. Catelyn really isn't one of my favorite characters so most likely I read a lot of her stuff in a negative light when it comes to her.

As for her becoming more 'Stark' her first chapter is set in the Godswood and it is very focused on showing us that Catleyn is not in her element, Wintefell and the North is very different to her, even after all these years of living there. So to me at the very beginning of this book it seem to me that she wasn't as duty driven as Ned but with Tyrion she is persistent in wanting to bring him to justice. But now that I think of it it could be just her motherly instinct to bring to justice the man who tried to murder her son... hmmm interesting. So basically it is just all how you read her thoughts and I'll admit I read her thoughts in a more negative tone because of my view on her and my perspective.

Just saying thanks for bring all this up, I like talking about my views so if there is anything else you wanna pull out and talk about go for it.

Chapter 35 - Eddard IX - S1 E5

Commentary/Summary

First off the beginning of this chapter threw me off so bad and I honestly really didn't like it. Starts off with Ned coming out of a brothel and with Littlefinger asking if he is all finished up. I did just have a thought though, later on Cersei accuses Ned of going to a brothel so maybe it is started out this way for us to kind of understand how Cersei feels and so... maybe... So we get a clearer picture of why Ned is there, Littlefinger has located one of Roberts bastards and Ned is going to confirm that. Sadly the mother is still pretty hung up on Robert and says she is still waiting for him. Ned is kind enough, or is it kind?, to not crush her hopes and dreams and they head out.

Let's do just a quick little count of Roberts kids here. So we got his three from Ceresei, Joffery, Tommen, and Myrcella. Than we got the bastards. One in the Vale Myra Stone (Which is confirmed in this chapter kind of), One at Stoms End, Gendry, and this little one in this brothel. Robert Gets around we can't deny that. Littlefinger says it is rumored that Robert had twins with a serving girl at Castlery Rock but Ceresei had the mother killed and the twins. Now isn't it kind of sad that we hear this rumor and we totally believe that Ceresei would do this? Kind of depressing but its just the truth!

So Ned heads out of the brothel with Littlefinger and all of a sudden they are surrounded by soldiers with Jamie Lannister leading them. Since Ned has resigned fro Hand of the King Jamie has a bit more leeway when it comes to attacking Ned. Jamie is looking for Tyrion and Ned flat out lies right here! He says it was by his orders that Tyrion was taken and that is just... so different for Ned. Is it simply that his environment is influencing the way he acts? Possible. He could be just defending his wife from the Lannisters as well. So Jamie decides to not kill Ned but he does command his men to kill Ned's guys which is super sad! Jory Cassell! So uncool. One thing I do appreciate though is that they went out fighting, taking a good chunk of Lannister men with him. Ned is injured by his horse falling on his leg, he remembers being brought to the castle, holding Jory's dead body, and we are just left in the dark a bit. Short chapter with a huge impact I mean Ned just got totally owned by Jamie and this is gonna have some big reprocussions

Book Owns

-3 to Jamie. While he is defending Tyrion he really just goes after Ned kind of out of the blue. In perspective of the Lannisters it is the best time to strike to be honest.

+1 to Ned for putting up a pretty intense fight.

Favorite character: We will give it Ned. Him saying that lie was a pretty intense thing and he put up a good fight as well. Go Ned!

Book Vs Show

This scene is while different a very well adapted one. It is not done in the rain, sadly cause if you want an epic scene just add rain, and Ned actually fights back instead of just his horse falling on him. Giving Ned the chance to fight really shows a bit of character in Jamie. He isn't a sly and deceiful person he wants to earn his victories through his skill. One thing I love about this show is they give the North men the credit they deserve. Not only did they give Jory Cassell, a very minor character, a good fight scene but also a good death by the hand of Jamie Lannister. So Ned and Jamie go head to head and there is a great adaptation of it which made me laught for at least a half hour for some reason, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cps56-zPmk So there going at it and Jamie pushes Ned off and one of his guards stabs Ned in the leg and Jamie is pretty pissed off, he goes and smacks the guard down. Jamie does not fight dirty and hates it. I respect Jamie for that. This scene made a whole lot more sense than the book did. I had to flip back and remind myself but it is obvious that Jamie learned of Tyrion and he wants him back. he has got a soft spot for the Imp

Show Owns

+1 to Ned for being a dang good swordsman

-2 to Jamie for coming after Ned

-2 to Jamie for killing Jory Cassel

+1 to Jamie for being pissed at the guard for taking Ned down

See most of the things when it came to Mya Stone was how I viewed it. She hears her last name as Stone, her first thought is of Jon, and she categorizes Mya as a bastard. Catelyn does have a prejudice against bastards because of how Jon Snow has affected her. It's really all in the tone that I read Catelyn's thoughts. Catelyn really isn't one of my favorite characters so most likely I read a lot of her stuff in a negative light when it comes to her.

As for her becoming more 'Stark' her first chapter is set in the Godswood and it is very focused on showing us that Catleyn is not in her element, Wintefell and the North is very different to her, even after all these years of living there. So to me at the very beginning of this book it seem to me that she wasn't as duty driven as Ned but with Tyrion she is persistent in wanting to bring him to justice. But now that I think of it it could be just her motherly instinct to bring to justice the man who tried to murder her son... hmmm interesting. So basically it is just all how you read her thoughts and I'll admit I read her thoughts in a more negative tone because of my view on her and my perspective.

Just saying thanks for bring all this up, I like talking about my views so if there is anything else you wanna pull out and talk about go for it.

I don't see what believing in the Old Gods, as opposed to the new, or enjoying life in the North, has to do with being duty-driven?

Catelyn is one of the characters who thinks most about duty, she remembers she was always a dutiful daughter who obeyed her father when she was supposed to marry a complete stranger (Ned), etc. Both she and Ned are quite duty-driven, though their family still comes first - that's especially obvious with Catelyn, but Ned ultimately, at the end of his life, puts his family over his honor or duty to the realm. But anyway, I don't see how being duty-driven is a Stark trait. All we know about the historical Starks, the old "Kings of Winter", is that they were hard, tough, often brutal people (I don't remember how much of it was mentioned in the first book), and "Family, duty, honor" are the words of the house Tully. The Stark words are "Winter is coming", so nothing to do with duty or honor, more like "it's going to be hard times, so you better prepare and be tough". Now, some other members of Cat's family are really not very duty-driven, but the same can be said of Ned's family, too - he said late brother and sister had "wolf blood" and were wilful and hot-headed, he never said they were duty-driven. Ned is Ned, not a representative of what the Starks are/were like in general.

This scene is while different a very well adapted one. It is not done in the rain, sadly cause if you want an epic scene just add rain, and Ned actually fights back instead of just his horse falling on him. Giving Ned the chance to fight really shows a bit of character in Jamie. He isn't a sly and deceiful person he wants to earn his victories through his skill. One thing I love about this show is they give the North men the credit they deserve. Not only did they give Jory Cassell, a very minor character, a good fight scene but also a good death by the hand of Jamie Lannister. So Ned and Jamie go head to head and there is a great adaptation of it which made me laught for at least a half hour for some reason, here: https://www.youtube....h?v=2cps56-zPmk So there going at it and Jamie pushes Ned off and one of his guards stabs Ned in the leg and Jamie is pretty pissed off, he goes and smacks the guard down. Jamie does not fight dirty and hates it. I respect Jamie for that. This scene made a whole lot more sense than the book did. I had to flip back and remind myself but it is obvious that Jamie learned of Tyrion and he wants him back. he has got a soft spot for the Imp

I think the scene in the book made much more sense. Jaime is known as the best swordsman in Westeros, he's one of the top fighters, while Ned was never a great swordsman. If they had had a duel, Jaime would have made short work of him. The TV show made Ned look like he was on the same level of Jaime.

Archived