Chapter by Chapter Analysis (Spoilers)

Jinjoz

Chapter 36 - Daenerys IV - S1 E4

Commentary/Summary

The Kahl has finally arrive at Vae Dothrak! So now they can chill a little bit. On the way there the Kahlasar Drogo was able to come up with a couple other names for Viserys. These include the Sore foot king, to represent him having to walk instead of ride, and now it is the Cart King, a step down from walking where the sick and feeble have to ride. Viserys really just does not understand the culture of the Dothraki and it is very much holding I'm back. Just like now a days if we are ignorant to others cultures it is going to bite us in the rear end and they will not respect you.

Dany on the other hand is fully embracing this culture. She wears the clothing, she rides, she is learning the language, she is becoming Dothraki. One thing that is still troubling her though is the state of her brother. Even through all the crap that he put her through Dany still thinks about Viserys and wants him to be comfortable and happy. While this probably does have to do with that he is her brother it could also be heavily influenced on the fact that he used to beat her and be in control of her and Dany feels she has to take care of him. The problem is she is trying to fulfill the role she had when she was not in power while she is in power, so to Viserys she is just wounding his pride. And also a quick side note, a statue of a women with six breasts and a ferret head... sometime I think George just puts these in the stories just to see if we will notice them.

Ser Jorah really hits the nail on the head in this chapter. While they discussing Vae Dothrak and her brother her tells Dany the concept that Viserys has Vs the concepts of Drogo's. To Drogo he did not buy Dany from Viserys, Viserys gave Dany to Drogo as a gift.. not a product or a slave. While Viserys see's that Drogo is in debt to him Drogo see's it as he owes Viserys a favor and can give it to hi whenever he wants. But shockingly enough, Viserys doesn't understand this and continues on his rampage of whining. Ser Jorah is really becoming a great friend and counselor to Dany and I absolutely love the relationship that is created through this. Another big thing they talk about is what would happen if the Drogo's Kahl actually got to Kings Landing. Jorah has been around both cultures and they are pros and cons. The Dothraki will win an all out fight in the field but when it comes to sieging a castle they are at a huge disadvantage. But Jorah puts the nail in the coffin and tells Dany that Robert Baratheon is too strong headed to stay hidden up in has castle, which is true.

So they head into Vaes Dothrak, surrender their weapons and we get a little history about this place. It is huge really and it considered as a holy place where blood cannot be shed. The main purpose of this place is to be a sort of a big home for all the Dothraki. It has to be big enough to be able to house them all which has been prophesied to happen. Along with this we get a good explanation on what a bloodrider is. While I and Dany saw them as kind of like a Kingsguard it is more like they are brothers. While their main duty is to protect to Kahl they also spend more time with him, share wine, meat, sometimes women. It's like an intense bromance and it is said when the Kahl dies the bloodriders need to join them in the afterlife.

So they settle in and Dany is going to attempt to make peace with her brother. Viserys is still wearing his silks and nice clothing from when they left Pentos which is pretty disgusting. So Dany goes and has his clothing made for him and she says they are fine enough for a Kahl to wear. As she is getting dinner ready Viserys comes in with one of her handmaids and is just livid that Dany would command him to join her for dinner. Which is ridiculous! It is so lame! I haven't found a single redeeming quality about him yet and it drives me nuts! So Viserys goes in to go crazy on Dany and Dany just flips a lid and smacks Viserys down with a belt. this is a huge thing. His captive is fighting back. she has embraced the Dothraki culture and understands that she has power and Viserys cannot control her anymore, it is awesome!

Books Owns

-1 to Viserys for mocking the Dothraki Culture

+2 to Jorah for his awesome counsel and wisdom

+1 to Dany for thinking of her brother

-1 to Viserys for his pride

+2 to Dany for fighting back against Viserys

Favorite Character.... I'm gonna split this one. To Dany and Ser Jorah. Jorah was the most entertaining of this chapter and we really value what he has to say and Dany for standing against Viserys, a huge character moment for her. So +1 to each.

Book Vs Show

Even though Viserys is a terrible person the actor does such a good job! very impressed. They cut out a lot of Jorah's counsel to Dany which is understandable but it still irks me because that was definitely one of my favorite conversations this chapter. And we actually get the very summed up version of Jorah's back story at this time. I guess he has been in the show long enough that people are probably wondering why he is over on this side of the Narrow Sea. Now let's all just agree that we are disappointed we didn't see the ferret lady with the six breasts.

But we do get some breasts now I guess. So we got Doreah, one of Danys handmaidens in a tub with Viserys and... what is this? back story with a naked girl in it? real shocker. this is actually a very classic way that they do this which I am not a fan of. But what is even weirder is to hear Viserys talk without him being all prideful and jerky! He just tells her about the dragons and it is actually a pretty cool story. The dragons hatching are getting smaller and smaller, which I am curious as to why... Global warming! The Eco terrorists of Westeros. But of course at the very end he just tells her to do him and get it over with. Now we get Viserys being a real dick. Dragging in Doreah and hitting Dany for what she is doing. I'm telling you Dany kicked his rear end. She know who she is, she knows the power she has, and Viserys is just a worm now compared to her. So good!

Well you definitely just gave me more motivation to write. One thing I've realized is that since I'm doing a tv show/book comparison I've been having to read and do a chapter analysis on all the chapter that an episode covers, watch the tv and add notes, and than I can post up that block of chapters. So I'm trying to think of a better way I can do this so that I can keep chapters coming.... Maybe if I posted just the book analysis and than go back and edit them and add in my show analysis... would that be too annoying? I would put a not that says 'go look at the new additions and all... hmmm I'm liking this. Thanks for being my sound board

Chapter 37 - Bran V - S1 E6

Commentary/Summary

Bran is on a horse. That's right people! I am actually really proud of Bran here. He spends a lot of time moping and being sad, which I understand, and he finally is breaking out of it and realizing while being a cripple is hard, not everything is cut off from him. He can still ride and he absolutely loves it. He has a connection with this horse now. It responds to his touch, his voice, and his movement with the reins. Him, Robb and Theon decide to go on a little ride to get out of the castle for a little bit, get bran out of the castle, and Theon can get some hunting in. We get some back story on Bran learning to ride his new horse while Theon talks about inappropriate things with Robb who than shuts Theon up, just a casual day in the land of Winterfell

Bran does some reminiscing about them getting the raven about Jory Cassel. To us Jory was a good noble follower of Ned but to Bran and Robb he was a good friend. This is where George writes his masterpiece. We thought we knew Jory but we really didn't. We want his back story. we care about all the little people and we know that he is going to have a good one. Throughout this chapter we also get some moments where we definitely see that both Robb and Bran are trying to be older than they are. Childhood doesn't last long in Westeros and it has hit a point where being a child is a negative thing. Society is at a point where boys have to be men to succeed and to have a god life. Bran want this, possibly to overshadoew the fact that he is a cripple and Robb wants this so that he can fill the spot as Lord of Winterfell with honor.

So there riding along and the wolves go to hunt while Bran and Robb have some good bro moments. The wolves kill something so Robb goes off to see and LEAVES THE CRIPPLE BEHIND! so uncool Robb come on. You just had a cool bro moment and now your ditching him! anyways. So Bran is chilling and all of a sudden out pops a couple deserter of the Night's Watch, a few convicts, and a Wildling. Once they find out that Bran is Bran Stark the Wildling, Osha, mentions Mance Rayder and Benjen Stark. Mance Rayder being the King Beyond the Wall shows that Osha knows who he is and that Benjen Stark is known to the Wildlings. I think this is a sign that Benjen is alive and he is making a name for himself doing something beyond The Wall.

So they take Bran hostage and Robb comes up with Summer and Grey Wind. Let's behonest by the way, how freaking B.A. does that look in your head? Robb on horseback with two huge wolves by his side. So they try and debate and the outcasts decide to fight. Robb and the wolves start kicking some realy trash and George describes a really good fight scene here actually. I haven't really read any book where the fight scenes are exciting but here it is riveting. things are happening fast but there are moments where it slows down and you focus. I love it. In all of this fight the big dude grabs Bran and puts a knife under his throat. He is nervous and knows he isn't gonna make it. Than all of a sudden Theon shotos an arrow and bam! dead.

We get a good moment here with Robb. Robb flips on Theon and is just ticked off. Theon could have missed, or killed Bran, or tons of different things. I was wondering why Robb got mad about this and I realized this: Robb wants to be considered a 'man'. He wants to be the Lord of Winterfell and while he does his best to save Bran and kill all of his enemies, the last one gets the better of him. Robb just went from being in control of other peoples lives to him being controlled. When Theon came and saved him Robb's pride was bruised. He couldn't have saved Bran alone and that is what is getting under Robb's skin. Really awesome chapter, I enjoyed it quite thoroughly.

Book Owns
+1 to Bran for getting over his worries and riding that horse!
-1 to Theon for being a creep
+1 to Robb for shielding his brother from Theon's attitude
+1 to Ned for teaching Bran
+1 to Bran for listening to his father
-1 to Robb for going off on Theon (thank you Captain Theo)
+2 to Theon for saving bran's life

Favorite character, I'm going to give it to Theon. While is a ponce at times he stood out to me in this chapter and we really changed our mind on him when he saved Brand life so points to him.

Book Vs Show

Ahhh Tonks why are you trying to capture Bran! Get back to your fandom! So this scene starts out with Theon not being such of a douche as normal. Theon obviously cares about the Starks, he has lived with them for over half of his life and he wants blood for what Jamie did to Ned. Robb is hesitant to do anything which keeps that feeling that he is trying to act older than he is that the book showed. Also this scene uts the blame on Bran for wandering off so hey Robb your not that bad of a guy now, with your wispy beard and all. So Bran wanders off and gets caught by Tonks and some other people. One big thing that I caught was that they kept the bit about the Wildlings knowing who Benjen Stark was. I still don't fully know why that is important or how they all know Benjen but for them to keep that little bit in the show it must be important. So we go through the killing and the hostage moment and Theon saving the day. Theon got tough with Robb and is just like bro really? I just saved your rear! So go you Theon
Show Owns
+ 1 to Theon for having some balls and standing up to Robb

Thanks for doing another chapter - I was actually really annoyed at Robb in this chapter for criticising Theon instead of praising him for saving Bran's life (and would definitely have taken points off him), just as I was in Bran's last chapter when he was discourteous to Tyrion. I like seeing it interspersed with the Show vs Book, but whenever you get around to it is fine.

Chapter 38 - Tyrion v - S1 E6

Commentary/Summary

Finally our main character has appeared, Mord! The ever loving turnkey who has been given the task of watching over Tyrion in his luxurious Sky Cell, the shwanked out crib of the Eyrie. In all reality it really flipping sucks. Mord is bring Tyrion his food and is playing games with him and Tyrion snaps and curses Mord out, receiving a good kick in the ribs for it. Tyrion does have a temper and he can only take so much. It would be the same as Robert getting angry and lashing out and hitting someone, except with Tyrion he uses his words, his deadliest weapon in reality. We also learn that Tyrion is a pretty sly fellow, uses tricks and gambling to get what he wants, takes a lot of risks. We learn that the shadow skin cloak that he has been wearing recently was actually won in dice from the bard who has hanging around with him. Which kinda changes our perspective on Tyrion. Remember when we saw him come into the Bloody Gate? He had a dirk, an ax and this B.A. cloak on and we were just like wow Tyrion just went all warrior on us. With us knowing he won it gambling it kind of brings us back to the way we always knew Tyrion.

Let's talk about these cells just for a minute. These cells only have three walls and the fourth side is just an opening to the world, except that it is 60 feet in the air and impossible to escape. The slightly creepy part about it is that the floors are slightly slanted downwards and patently some are slanted just a little now than other according to Lysa. Now I've never had this experience but it must a trip to be in a cell that you can leave at anytime. I guess it does depend on why you are in there and for how long, but the thought being able to leave at anytime but not really just be interesting. Oh and who has to clean off all the people who do fall? DROSS!

We get a small flashback to when Tyrion was sent to the dungeons and Tyrion just can't keep his mouth shut. Basically he mouths off to Lysa about not having the time to murder anyone and that his family will retaliate of they do anything to him. A quick thought on this. There is a lot of 'my family wills' being thrown out by Tyrion and we get in Tyrion head and we see that he isn't 100% confident in his threats that involve his family. While Tyrion has the name of Lannister yet he has never felt a part of the family. He uses his name as a shield and sword against enemies and most of the time it works. After he mouths off to Lysa she goes off the wall and wants him dead, with little Roberts help. Now we get Catelyn hopping in and stopping it, which can show two two things about Catelyn. One, she is a noble person and honorably will not allow Tyrion to be killed without being proved of his crime, or two she doesn't believe Tyrion has done anything and would feel guilty if anything happened to Tyrion. I'm leaning towards the first reason because it kind of encompasses the second.

So Tyrion is trying to figure out what he can do to improve his situation. He has a light bulb moment and decides that his mouth got him into this and it can get him out. So he calls on Mord who comes in and starts smacking Tyrion around but Tyrion offers a bunch of gold and Mord decides to get it in writing. So they go up and Tyrion 'confesses' his crimes and it is sad that Lysa cuts him off before we get to any of the juicy stuff (Which we luckily do get in the T.V. show). So Tyrion takes a gamble here, he requests this meeting thing, just starts mouthing off again, but than he basically declares that he needs to have a trial and he says this in front of half of the Vale it seems to really set it in the fact that he has been neglected and needs to be tried. He calls for a trial by combat which basically is, look if I win I get off Scott Free because the Gods said so. If I die than... well ya die. Since Tyrion is so stunted though he calls for someone to fight in his place and Bronn steps up, and the bromance is strengthened! What a baller! 'I'll stand for the dwarf' 'And my Ax'

Chapter 39 - Eddard X - S1E6 (Redone!!!)

So since Eddard X is such a short chapter there really isn't much in it worth talking about. Basically Ned has a dream in which him and six of his loyal friends track down 3 of The Mad Kings Kingsguard who were not around to defend the Mad King. They fight and out all that fighting Ned and Howland Reed are the only two who survive. He wakes up and Robert visits. Robert demands Ned be hand of thing King again and he also hits Cersei. The only part to note is once again Robert is just wanting to brush aside what happened, just like he did when Lady attack Joffery. If Robert can't physically kill the problem than it is not worth his time. So He is gonna go hunting instead

Book Shows
+1 to Tyrion for convincing Mord
+1 to Tyrion for his confessions
+ 1 to Brann for stepping up for Tyrion
Favorite character: Tyrion. Pretty obvious since he is the only character but he does have some awesome moments in here, pretty clever moments, and the risks he took were pretty intense really.
+1 to Robert for his line 'Than keep quiet or I'll honor you again'. While it is not cool to hit your wife, it is a pretty intense line
-1 to Robert for just brushing the whole Ned being attacked thing off.

Book vs Show
Robert Arryn asks the biggest question of the entire series... what happened next! Seriously. It sounds like a joke. A donkey and a honey comb walk into a brothel and.... finish that one for me. Peter Dinklage does amazing here. The way he talks and makes you feel like he is this little twit but you love him! We get some expanded stories on tyrion's 'crimes' and we are laughing along with everyone else. The Childhood of Tyrion Lannister, oh the stories we could hear.
Show Owns
+2 to Tyrion for his wild adventures as a child

Chapter 39 is really important in a lot of ways. Yes its a short one but a lot of subtle stuff is happening. I got the feeling you just went through it just cause. An advice,dreams in ASoIaF shouldn't be viewed as just dreams. Read the chapter a couple more times.

What are your thoughts on it? I currently just started Storm of Swords so if it is in reference to something that happens after that book than I'd be a little hazy on it. But let me know I'm interested in what yall think about it as well. But I will read through it again and see if I can pull anything else out. I do take dreams seriously cause if they were not important why would he put them in? This one at first just seemed so literal, but I'll read it through again

So I wanna credit this chapter to The Bastard Son for calling me out on my crap and making me reread chapter 39. I read through it again and I caught a few things that I didn't before, so here we go

Chapter 39 - Eddard X - S1 E6

Commentary/Summary

So we start out with a dream sequence and when I first read it I took it very literally because there's a few times it says 'as it had in real life'. This is a kill two birds with one stone situation. We get a history lesson and also a dream which can have a lot of hidden meaning. So the dream is about a mission that Eddard and 6 of his companions rode down to an area near Dorne to confront three of the Kingsguard that served under the Mad King. Eddard first sees his companions and they were all people he had known for years. Yet he says that there faces are blurred and in the shadows. This speaks to Eddard situation now. He doesn't know who his friends are, down here in King Landing the line of friendship and enemy is rather blurred and people like Littlefinger and Varys thrive in this type of place but Ned is not accustomed to it and it is eating him alive right now.

The next part of his dream is when he meets with these three members of the Kingsguard who was not at the Battle of the Trident or there when Jamie slew the Mad King and I am very curious as to where they were. Ned notes that his enemies faces are clear as crystal and he redeem beds them very well. This speaks to Eddard knowing who his enemies are. He knows that the Lannisters are his enemies due to the fact that Jamie just attacked him. New knows who he needs to keep his eye on now.

Now the best thought I had might be a out on a limb but heck who knows. So the Ned and his seven guys fight the three Kingsguard and the three bad guys die but they took out 6 of the good guys. Ned than pulls down the nearby tower and uses those stones to build graves for those 8 men. Now when Ned wakes up be is in the Tower of the Tower of the Hand. We all know the Ned is going to fall soon and the tower he tore down could represent his own death and the 8 graves could represent 8 major deaths that will occur after the fall of Ned. Have no idea how much validity that theory has but heck a theory is a theory. It also says that only two survived that fight, Ned and Howland Reed, who we do get to meet his kids in the next book. This could mean out of ten big characters only two will survive... Maybe?

Ned wakes up and informed that he had been asleep for six days and seven nights. During that time Jamie fled the city and that the news of Catelyn taking Tyrion and a hostage had spread like wildfire. Cersei of course is all on a huff about it and constantly hops in on the conversation between Ned and Robert. Ned continue us to claim that capturing Tyrion was under his orders, which his reasoning for saying this I'm sure is to defend his wife but it might have other reasons. Cersei the accuses Ned of being the one who attacked Jamie after returning from a brothel, Littlefinger fudged his story saying he went to fetch the City Watch and didn't see anything.

So what does King Robert do.... Hmmmmm well basically he says well Jamie killed some of your men and you keep some of his.... So your even right? You know what you, are so as King it all is done and no worries. Robert really doesn't want to deal with this. It is too close to home for one thing, it involves his wife's brother and his best friend and he doesn't want to choose sides. It is kind of frustrating that he won't investigate it more.... Sigh. He doesn't even send out guards to bring Jamie back to solve all of this, frustrating.

So Cersei basically calls Robert a women for not punishing Need for speaking against the Kings Justice and Robert hits her petty dang hard. I don't condone spousal abuse but he have to admit the line 'I'll wear it like a badge of honor' and than 'wear it in silence or I'll honor you again' is a pretty B. A. line. So the we get the classic 'I used to be something so much greater' speech from Robert along with talk of Lyanna. Robert declares he is going to go hunting and Ned we be the Hand while he is gone.

Once again thank you to The Bastard Son for calling me out in a positive way, I hope I continue to out these chapter reviews that are of high quality. Thank you all!

Book Owns
+1 to Ned for tearing down a tower with only one other guy.
-1 to Cersei for budging in on the conversation with her snotty comments
+1 to Robert for his throw down line against Cersei.
Favorite character, none for this chapter but o email it was a good chapter with it plot points and a dream that I will have to revisit when I finish reading all the books. May E I'll make a list of all the dreams and study then.... Ooooooooooo I like this. And deaths. This is good.

Book Vs Show
So we don't get the dream sequence which is expected. The only dreams we get are from Bran and those are pretty vague. From what I remember from interviews in such is that the creators of the show have decided to keep clear of anything related to flashbacks so that we can keep current with the 'now'. They feel flashbacks would just complicate things and I agree actually. I feel like TV shows are supposed to be pretty simple and it also separates the book and the show. Watching the show and reading the book are two total different experiences if we dive into the books a little more. One little thing I noticed about this scene is the whole time Robert is talking to Ned he rarely looks at him which I think shows Roberts conflict of interest. Ned is his dubbed brother but his wife and the Lannisters own most of the Kingdom. Best solution... go hunting and leave the wounded Ned to run the kingdom when he cant even get out of the bed. So Robert is off on his hunt and we get a little scene between him and his brother Renly. Main purpose of this is to show their relationship and that it isn't very tight. We haven't seen a ton of Renly, I actually couldn't remember who he was when I first watched this episode. Ren;y is going to be a lot more important coming up so they need to get him a little better established.
Show Owns
-1 to Robert, man he just totally ditches Ned here. Its a little more prominent in the show but snap bro!

Thanks for doing another chapter - I was actually really annoyed at Robb in this chapter for criticising Theon instead of praising him for saving Bran's life (and would definitely have taken points off him), just as I was in Bran's last chapter when he was discourteous to Tyrion. I like seeing it interspersed with the Show vs Book, but whenever you get around to it is fine.

I added in a negative point to Robb for you when he got passed at Theon. Send in more when you see one I'll add it in to the ranking.

What are your thoughts on it? I currently just started Storm of Swords so if it is in reference to something that happens after that book than I'd be a little hazy on it. But let me know I'm interested in what yall think about it as well. But I will read through it again and see if I can pull anything else out. I do take dreams seriously cause if they were not important why would he put them in? This one at first just seemed so literal, but I'll read it through again

I support everyone making their own theories and yours is an intriguing one(Ned and 8 graves) i will just nudge you a bit. The 3 Kingsguard werent in Kings Landing and they werent at the Trident. So why were they at the Tower of Joy? Who were they guarding? It has to be someone very very important. Rhaegar named that tower,the Tower of Joy. Why? Why was Ned there in the first place? Connect those dots and you will see why that chapter is huge.

I wasnt calling you out or anything,it was just an advice. I could have let you continue and not say a thing but that chapter is just so important. You are doing an awesome job man.

And i saw you had a bit of an argument with someone over Ned's fighting abilities. Once you realize who those 3 Kingsguard were,im talking about their abilities,Arthur Dayne is one of the best fighters of all time in ASOIAF. Gerold Hightower-the White Bull and Oswell Whent. All great fighters. And for Ned and Howland Reed to be the only survivors,to me speaks to their abilities as fighters. You cant be an average swordsman and survive Dayne,Hightower and Whent.

I support everyone making their own theories and yours is an intriguing one(Ned and 8 graves) i will just nudge you a bit. The 3 Kingsguard werent in Kings Landing and they werent at the Trident. So why were they at the Tower of Joy? Who were they guarding? It has to be someone very very important. Rhaegar named that tower,the Tower of Joy. Why? Why was Ned there in the first place? Connect those dots and you will see why that chapter is huge.

Most likely they were guarding Lyanna.... So Rhaegar puts Lyanna in this tower, three Kingsguard to guard her. New goes to save her... How did Ned know.... Hmmmmm I'm sure it has to do something Lyanna. This is good I'm excited to figure this out... Oh but Ned is dead.... So Howland read might know the story.

Most likely they were guarding Lyanna.... So Rhaegar puts Lyanna in this tower, three Kingsguard to guard her. New goes to save her... How did Ned know.... Hmmmmm I'm sure it has to do something Lyanna. This is good I'm excited to figure this out... Oh but Ned is dead.... So Howland read might know the story.

Yep,Howland is the only one who knows why and what exactly happened. Where Howland is,no one knows for sure. I wont spoil anything for you but you should and will figure it out. Im not sure but i think Ned has one more dream sequence,an important one.

Chapter 40 - Catelyn VII - S1 E6

Commentary/Summary

The first section of this chapter is Catelyn running just a few errands before the big fight tonight, how exciting. First we get a good soul searching moment. she looks out at Alyssa's tears, a waterfall that is said to be of a women who never shed a tear all her life and now in her death cries forever. While she's looking out she basically has a 'man I really want to go home' moment. Catelyn has been away from her children for quite some time now and misses them. This actually shows us how the Stark life has affected her. She is duty bound to things, she wants justice! She can't just sit on the side lines while bad things happen.

After this deep stare out the window moment Ser Rodrick goes down a list of info that has just arrived. Jamie is getting an army ready at Casterly Rock, no news from Tywin Lannister, and Edmure has taken commend of Riverrun while Lord Holster Tully is sick. Catelyn is annoyed at this news and tells Ser Rodrick about her hope to go home. Ser Rodrick says he will do waht he can to get her home and Catelyn officially decides that she wishes to hire a boat to bring her there. She heads off to go see Lysa but runs into her uncle (thank you The Battery Son) Bryandon, the Black Fish, on the way there and he isn't too happy with Lysa. He had asked fro a thousand seasoned men to help protect Riverrun from any Lannister attack and she refused saying that they can't spare any men at this time. The Black Fish decides to leave anyways and Catelyn asks him to join them on there way home for preotection which he accepts.

So she goes to see Lysa who is in the room/garden/courtyard thing that the trial by combat will take place. She is surrounded by her suitors and she is just loving this. eating blackberries off of a dagger, jesting with young and old men alike. Lysa is just all arond... someone I don't like. She is paranoid, moody, kind of full of herself and overly protective of her son Robert who is seeming to go just as crazy as Lysa is. Catelyn is not happy about this trial by combat and voices this to Catelyn. Tyrion is more valuable alive but Lysa won't hear of it and the trial goes on.

So Ser Vardis comes out and he is decked out in some pretty kick butt armor and were like holy snap this guy is defended. Along with his armor he hets a four feet sheild, and Lord Jon Arryn's personaly great sword, so that the 'murderer' can be killed by the sword who killed it's owner. Bronn comes out and he is wearing very little armor but with a great sword that is sharper than ever. Well bets are being placed and Bronn has some high odds because Ser Vardis is pretty beefed up. So they begin to fight and Bronn is quick let me tell you. His style of fighting reminds me a lot of Syrio's and Arya's. It's more about the speed than it is the power. The Sharpness of the blade rather than the force put into the swing. Most people find it 'untraditional', calling him a coward for running away.

Though in the end Bronn triumphs because of his speed and his quick wits. Lysa is very disappointed and Tyrion is happy as ever. He goes forth and is officially is released by her. Lysa commands that they be set free to go across the High Road alone and this is another way of sending these two to their deaths. Lysa doesn't really care about justice she cares about revenge. she wants Tyrion dead for what she thinks he has done and she doesn't how it is done, just that it is done in a way where no blood is left on her hands.

Last thought. So we get a little flashback to when Petyr Baelish fought Brandon stark for the hand of Catelyn Tully and let me tell you this is a classic Lilly Evans, Severus Snape, and James Potter moment. Petyr loves Catelyn but the cocky powerful Brandon Stark wins the fight and takes Catelyn away and Petyr is left to love Catelyn but cannot have her. It's a very interesting dynamic and it is just uncanny how similar that connection is between two of my favorite series. I hopefully will find a whole lot more = )

Book Owns
+1 to Ser Rodrick for his loyalty
-1 to Lysa for being stingy
-1 to Lysa for jsut being a creepy paranoid person
+1 to Bronn for fighting like a boss
Faovrite Character: Bronn. He earned a lot of respect for fighting for the dwarf here and we find out he is extremely skilled in what he does and I think his character is one it's way now that we know what he can do.

Book vs Show
So this scene is minimized to just he trial by combat scene. This really shows us Bronns skill. He is quick, light on his feet but the big thing he did that is different from Ser Vardis is he used his surroundings. He fought in close quarters, used the candlesticks, pushed a dud in front of him and so on. Now to explain that negative point down there for Tyrion which is a sad thing cause I love Tyrion but in this scene he had a bad guy look about him. Bronn fought in a sort of 'play with your food' type of fighting and the whole time tyrion was cheering about that and I don't know it just rubbed me the wrong way. I know he will get those points back so I'm nott too worried. Overall a good fight but one thing I wish they kept was that feeling of 'all right you won the fight but your not going to survive the mountains of the Eyrie.
Show Owns
+1 to Bronn for his 'he did' line.
-2 to Tyrion for enjoying the fight too much

Chapter 17 - Bran III - S1 E2
Commentary/Summary
Around his family he sees a few shadows. One has the face of a Hound, representing Sandor Clegane The Hound. The second is one that is dashining and covered in gold, that would be Jamie, i think. The third is huge man with stone armor. This one I'm very unsure of... well.... I guess the Mountain would be a good guess. Stone armor... the mountain? Ya get it? Now why these three i'm a little unsure of. First thought is that these three men will effect the Starks in a big way? alter their path in life?

You might dig the analysis of these three shadows here. You are quite right about Bran being turned into a satellite, and seeing shadows around his family while they are stopped at the Trident. The first is the Hound, but the second is not Jaime...he's already accounted for. And the Mountain is never at the Trident with them, nor does he affect the Starks in any significant way...

So I re read that section with the shadows and it does make sense that it can on;y be people who are at the trident with them. So got rid of the Mountain and Jamie and I replaced it with Barriston Semy and Illyn Payne and than I read your thoughts and bam! match! So yes I actually do agree with that! I read through a couple peoples comments and man I want to re read that chapter and rewrite it. so good!

Archived