Characters of ASOIAF and their historical counterparts

James Steller

For a bit of fun paralleling fiction with history, as we know George RR Martin does with relish, let's see how many historical counterparts we can find for the characters of ASOIAF.

Here's some that I've noticed or heard other people identify:

Balon, Euron, Victarion, and Aeron = The sons of Ragnar Lothbrok.

Brienne of Tarth= Joan of Arc

Tyrion Lannister= Richard III

Bran and Rickon Stark= The Princes in the Tower of London

Khal Drogo= Attila The Hun

Joffrey= Emperor Nero

I don't see a lot of between Brienne and Joan of Arc.

Richard more like Stannis. In general the Baratheon Brothers are like the York brothers Robert being Edward the IV. It was discussed in other threads I believe.

I've always thought Tyrion was too modern in his thinking to fit any historical character.

Agree about Rickon & Bran. I suppose Drogo as Attila works as well.

I think Joffrey more Caligula than Nero.

Someone mentioned in another thread that Tywin has a lot of Bismarck in him.

For a bit of fun paralleling fiction with history, as we know George RR Martin does with relish, let's see how many historical counterparts we can find for the characters of ASOIAF.

Here's some that I've noticed or heard other people identify:

Balon, Euron, Victarion, and Aeron = The sons of Ragnar Lothbrok.

Brienne of Tarth= Joan of Arc

Tyrion Lannister= Richard III

Bran and Rickon Stark= The Princes in the Tower of London

Khal Drogo= Attila The Hun

Joffrey= Emperor Nero

could you expand on why they seem similar to you?

drogo only intended to conquer further than previous khals, so although the dothraki are certainly comparable to the mongols i fail to see the attila similarity.

same applies to every example, going by my recollection of history (fictional itself in my opinion, not that that is relevant).

joan of arc was supposedly tasked by god to help the french, richard was an exiled king, and the princes in the tower were killed, i think.

nero surely was a despotic and unstable chap, but had longer to display such traits than the sort (weeks? months?) that joff sat the it.

drogo only intended to conquer further than previous khals, so although the dothraki are certainly comparable to the mongols i fail to see the attila similarity.

Attila was the leader of the Hun, not the mongols.

And the Huns were notorious for alternating between protection racket and particularly vicious pillaging around the crumbling Roman empire, pretty much like the Dothraki are doing in Essos.

Difference; the Huns were better organized and yet got stopped in about one generation. The Dothraki are less organized and yet mysteriously nobody puts a stop to them. Eh.

As far as personalities go, I can't claim to know enough about Atilla to make the comparison on that level.

Joan of Arc was not a powerful fighter, she was an incredibly charismatic young woman of peasant origin that convinced nobles that she was the messenger of god. Brienne is a noble, extremely shy and uncharismatic but a physical powerhouse.

So what they have in common? They are women and they have swords. Pretty much it.

Baratheons: Yorks

Targaryens: Lancaster

Tyrells: Nevilles

Lannisters: Wydevilles

Aerys: Henry VI

Robert: Edward IV

Cersei: Elizabeth Wydeville and some Margaret of Anjou

Jaime and Tyrion: Anthony Wydeville

Stannis: Richard III

Renly: George, Duke of Clarence

Joffrey: Edward V and some Edward of Westminster

Mace and some Tywin: Warwick the Kingmaker

Margaery: Anne and Isabel Neville

Rhaenyra: Matilda

Aegon II: Stephen

Aegon IV: Henry VIII

Naerys: Katherine of Aragon

Aegon III: Henry II

Aegon V: Edward III (the common ancestor of the warring cousins)

Aegon: Perkin Warbeck/Henry VII combination

JonCon: Jasper Tudor

Lyanna: Some Margaret Beaufort, if she had died

Daeron I: Richard the Lionheart

Red Keep: White Tower

Narrow Sea: English Channel

Aegon I: William the Conqueror

Valyria: Rome

Free Cities: the merchant city-states of the Low Countries and Italy

Braavos: Venice (the sealord is the doge)

was rasputin not advisor to the slain russian tzar and his whole family? is that good enough?

And Cardinal Richelieu was the power behind Louis XIII. For that matter François Leclerc du Tremblay was the influential advisor of Cardinal Richelieu, nicknamed the Éminence Grise (Gray Eminence) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89minence_grise), a term that has become synonimous with 'power behind the throne'. Dick Cheney has been refered to as Bush's Éminence Grise. Martin Bormann for Nazi Germany has played this role, Edith Wilson was alsmot de facto president of the USA after Woodrow Wilson's stroke, the list goes on.

Rasputin was rather unstable and not a methodical thinker, quite unlike Varys. He's more of a con man that wormed his way in the antechamber of power for his own benefit, like Nostradamus. Any number of powerful advsiors throughout history make better parallel.

And Cardinal Richelieu was the power behind Louis XIII. For that matter François Leclerc du Tremblay was the influential advisor of Cardinal Richelieu, nicknamed the Éminence Grise (Gray Eminence) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89minence_grise), a term that has become synonimous with 'power behind the throne'. Dick Cheney has been refered to as Bush's Éminence Grise. Martin Bormann for Nazi Germany has played this role, Edith Wilson was alsmot de facto president of the USA after Woodrow Wilson's stroke, the list goes on.

Rasputin was rather unstable and not a methodical thinker, quite unlike Varys. He's more of a con man that wormed his way in the antechamber of power for his own benefit, kike Nostradamus. Any number of powerful advsiors throughout history make better parallel.

You have your opinion i have mine. Like i say you can`t be wrong with an opinion

George based the series off The War of the Roses:

Robert and Robb: Edward IV

Cersei: Margaret of Anjou/Elizabeth Woodville

Dany and Aegon: Henry VII

Jon Connington: Jasper Tudor

Catelyn: Elizabeth Woodville

Melisandre: Margaret Beaufort

Tywin: Richard Neville

Bran and Rickon: Princes in the Tower

Sansa: Elizabeth of York

Eddard: Anthony Woodville

Rasputin was rather unstable and not a methodical thinker, quite unlike Varys. He's more of a con man that wormed his way in the antechamber of power for his own benefit, like Nostradamus. Any number of powerful advsiors throughout history make better parallel.

Inspired by the Anastasia myth, perhaps. The real Anastasia Romanov did die with the rest of her family.

I used Varys to fit in with danaerys so the other nmes on your list didn`t fit. Anastasia Romanov did die with the rest but who`s to say the real Danaerys didn`t?

Baratheons: Yorks

Targaryens: Lancaster

Tyrells: Nevilles

Lannisters: Wydevilles

Robert: Edward IV

Cersei: Elizabeth Wydeville and some Margaret of Anjou

Jaime and Tyrion: Anthony Wydeville

Joffrey: Edward V and some Edward of Westminster

Mace and some Tywin: Warwick the Kingmaker

Margaery: Anne and Isabel Neville

Rhaenyra: Matilda

Aegon II: Stephen

Aegon IV: Henry VIII

Naerys: Katherine of Aragon

Aegon III: Henry II

Aegon V: Edward III (the common ancestor of the warring cousins)

Aegon: Perkin Warbeck/Henry VII combination

JonCon: Jasper Tudor

Lyanna: Some Margaret Beaufort, if she had died

Daeron I: Richard the Lionheart

Red Keep: White Tower

Narrow Sea: English Channel

Aegon I: William the Conqueror

Valyria: Rome

Free Cities: the merchant city-states of the Low Countries and Italy

Braavos: Venice (the sealord is the doge)

:agree:

Archived