Let's Discuss the Recently-Unveiled TWOW Chapter

BryndenBFish

Hi everyone, I had originally written this post up over on the ASOIAF subreddit, but I wanted to bring it over your way to see what you all thought. If you haven't already checked out the amazing post by/u/_honeybird regarding what (s)he found when they viewed the ADWD manuscript at the Cushing Library at Texas A&M University, I highly recommend you do so. There are a ton of great & new information about ASOIAF in general (the Coldhands reveal is one that's definitely gathered a lot of attention) as well as lots of info on how ADWD was edited & other fun stuff.

But the biggest reveal in my opinion was the semi-confirmation of a TWOW chapter that hadn't been previously unveiled.

Stop here if you are avoiding TWOW spoilers!

As /u/_honeybird & /u/feldman10 pointed out, in the ADWD manuscript, there apparently was supposed to be a Bran chapter near the end of the book. Apparently, this chapter was cut out of ADWD and will likely appear in TWOW. As confirmed by honeybird, the 3 ADWD Bran chapters were accounted for . So, this chapter was originally intended for ADWD that was subsequently cut -- likely to TWOW.

This is big news for a few reasons:

1. Though Bran's return in TWOW was probable, it's semi-confirmation that Bran will actually return as a POV in TWOW.
  2. If you look closely at the manuscript page, this printed page behind the page is the 1st page from ADWD, Daenerys X -- Dany's last chapter. (Interestingly, I wonder whether the Tyrion chapter noted behind the Bran chapter is TWOW, Tyrion I?) So, this Bran chapter would have appeared near the last part of the book, meaning...
  3. The chapter itself would have come after Jon Snow's last chapter in ADWD, i.e. when Jon was stabbed; so there's a lot of potentials on what GRRM had in store for that chapter.

Here are my thoughts on what this could mean:

First, I think it's important to talk about why the chapter was cut. Towards the end of ADWD, GRRM was forced to cut the 2 battles (Battle of Winterfell & the Battle of Meereen) that were originally intended to conclude ADWD. So, GRRM seemed to have written most (but not all) of the battle sequences before ADWD concluded. (This is also why of the 9 released sample chapters, 5 deal with the Battle of Fire while 1 deals w/ the Battle of Winterfell). But what order were the battles cut? Well, it seems like the Battle of Winterfell was cut first by GRRM while the Battle of Meereen was cut last at the urging of editor Anne Groell.

Finishing this book where he absolutely wanted to end it would have taken probably another year and more pages than could be realistically bound between two covers. And so much great stuff had happened already that no one, I felt, could be unsatisfied by the developments. So he voluntarily pulled one big sequence out of the book. I lobbied for another…and it came out, too. - h/t /u/feldman10 for the link.

And the chapter list at the end of ADWD backs up the idea that the Battle of Winterfell was cut first. The last Battle of Winterfell chapter is chapter 62: ADWD, The Sacrifice while ADWD goes on for another 10 chapters that mainly deal with the situation in Meereen. So, it seems like the Battle of Fire was ripped out at the last minute, and this gives the book an unfinished feeling to some fans.

How does this all relate to the Bran chapter? Well, a Bran POV chapter could have involved elements from the Battle of Ice. We know from GRRM that Theon's sample TWOW chapter occurred before the end of events from ADWD. What this means is that the Theon sample chapter likely occurred before Jon's final chapter & stabbing in ADWD and likely before this probable Bran-chapter.

In the Theon sample chapter, Bran is likely skinchanging the ravens in and around Stannis' watchtower. The ravens could potentially give a legitimate birds-eye view of the battle. This would be a pretty unique & awesome way for GRRM to depict a battle that goes beyond the usual perspective of the battle. The other side of this is that Bran could very well see a key event from a different vantage point on the battlefield: the weirwood tree.

It's been long theorized that Stannis' strategy for the Battle in the Ice is to draw the Freys across the ice lake where they will then fall to their deaths through the ice of the lake. Will Bran witness this up close via the weirwood? We know that Bran can see through the Winterfell heart tree and likely through weirwoods as well. That would be a cool choice for GRRM to write it.

However, given that the Battle of Winterfell was likely cut 1st and this chapter was seemingly still in the final copy in April 2011, that may not be the case for this chapter. Perhaps GRRM intended this chapter to give an emotional back-drop to Jon's stabbing. In AGOT, Bloodraven shows Bran a vision that could pertain to Jon's future:

Finally he looked north. He saw the Wall shining like blue crystal, and his bastard brother Jon sleeping alone in a cold bed, his skin growing pale and hard as the memory of all warmth fled from him. (AGOT, Bran III)

Will Bran revisit this vision & perhaps see it more clearly now that his power is strengthening under Bloodraven's tutelage? Maybe, GRRM gives semi-explicit confirmation that Jon is dead in Bran's chapter. Previously, Bran had sensed his father's death in AGOT through Bloodraven.

When Shaggydog bounded to his feet and added his voice to his brother’s, dread clutched at Bran’s heart. "It's coming," he whispered, with the certainty of despair. He had known it since last night, he realized, since the crow had led him down into the crypts to say farewell. He had known it, but he had not believed. He had wanted Maester Luwin to be right. (AGOT, Bran VIII)

And later sensed Robb & Greywind's death through Summer:

The dream he'd had... the dream Summer had had... No, I mustn't think about that dream. He had not even told the Reeds, though Meera at least seemed to sense that something was wrong. If he never talked of it maybe he could forget he ever dreamed it, and then it wouldn’t have happened and Robb and Grey Wind would still be... (ASOS, Bran IV)

So, having Bran sense Jon's death would stay in keeping with how Bran processed deaths of his family members previously. If this is what is talked about in this chapter, it would be an emotional backdrop to events from Jon's caesaring that would be riveting to readers.

There are lots of other possibilities too, but I'll let you all bring them to the fore.

I like the Jon idea (and the way you've presented it here) and also the battle of Ice weirnet POV. These are, of course, not mutually exclusive as chapter content. I prefer the Bran weirwood POV over ravens, as IIRC the weirwood would have a great position to see it on that island.

The other idea that crossed my mind (sadly, influenced by the TV show) - is the death of Jojen.

I like the Jon idea (and the way you've presented it here) and also the battle of Ice weirnet POV. These are, of course, not mutually exclusive as chapter content. I prefer the Bran weirwood POV over ravens, as IIRC the weirwood would have a great position to see it on that island.

The other idea that crossed my mind (sadly, influenced by the TV show) - is the death of Jojen.

Jojen is another unfortunate TWOW spoiler from the show. I imagine that this trend will quicken come S05.

I kind of like both POV perspectives of the ravens & the weirwood for the chapter. It would be a really cool way to have a free-flowing perspective of events on the ground.

I assumed that Jojen had died the moment I read the Theon chapter where he hears crying while he stands by the Winterfell heart tree. (He decides he must be hearing Jeyne/(f)Arya. It was probably Bran, who can make himself heard through the tree.) A Jojen spoiler/confirm wouldn't be enough to force a chapter cut, IMO.

Another possibility is that Bran will leave the cave, and his next chapter will have him traveling to. or arriving at, Castle Black. Bran's last chapter was only at the halfway point of aDwD. He's had lots of time to get things done.

No matter what it covers, the next Bran chapter will be intertwined with northern events. If the battle had to be cut, so would the Bran chapter.

It seems to me that George (eventually?) decided to build the Northern story of ADwD around the slow unraveling of the intrigues against Stannis and Jon Snow, eventually culminating in Stannis' apparent death and Jon's stabbing. If the Bran chapter is indeed placed after the arrival of the Pink Letter and Jon's (apparent) death, this Bran chapter could have clearly changed the atmosphere of apparent hopelessness/defeat the book intends to convey in regards to Stannis/Jon at the end of the book.

Considering Bran's apparent machinations connected to the Northern campaigns in the second half of ADwD and the cut Theon chapter - him 'speaking' to Theon through the heart tree of Winterfell, him speaking through the ravens in Stannis' tower - I imagine Bran's POV could reveal a lot of things, mostly what actually occurred in Winterfell following Theon and Jeyne's escape (via the heart tree Bran should be able to see everything occurring in the castle), but possibly also what happened after Jon's stabbing and is happening in Stannis' iscamp.

The Theon chapter indicated that some sort of sacrificing event is going to take place on the weirwood isle at the lake - if we assume this chapter is taking place before the Battle of the Ice, then the chapter may also give away Bran's view/policy regarding Stannis (i.e. whether he is intending to help him or not). Finally, Bran may have also have already 'found' Rickon and Osha on Skagos, as he clearly would also have overheard Davos' conversation with Lord Wyman. Learning where Rickon approximately was could have resulted in Bran reaching out to him/the Skagosi, preparing them for Davos' arrival.

Not to mention that an additional Bran chapter would also most likely give us additional glimpses of the past via visions, possibly on Rhaegar/Lyanna/Jon, or other things connected to Robert's Rebellion. But he could also have begun investigating the Others and what occurred during the Long Night/the War for the Dawn or remembering what Bloodraven had shown him about 'the heart of winter' in his dream in AGoT.

************WHEEL OF TIME SPOILERS******

dont say i didnt warn you.

Given Bran's almost all powerful access to the past, especially where it might concern the white walkers, GRRM may feel that Bran's character is advancing too quickly for the story to catch up. In the Wheel of Time series, Rand al'Thor is seemingly going mad, until he suddenly realizes that his past life memories are not something he should run from. Overnight, he goes from mostly ignorant Farmboy/Chosen One to an all powerful warrior from the age of legends. Since the plot hadn't caught up to the main characters knowledge of it, Branden Sanderson wrote one or two whole books without a POV from the main character, until the last book, when the reader was caught up enough to get back inside his head. Bran has had almost the exact same thing happen to him.

It seems to me that George (eventually?) decided to build the Northern story of ADwD around the slow unraveling of the intrigues against Stannis and Jon Snow, eventually culminating in Stannis' apparent death and Jon's stabbing. If the Bran chapter is indeed placed after the arrival of the Pink Letter and Jon's (apparent) death, this Bran chapter could have clearly changed the atmosphere of apparent hopelessness/defeat the book intends to convey in regards to Stannis/Jon at the end of the book.

Considering Bran's apparent machinations connected to the Northern campaigns in the second half of ADwD and the cut Theon chapter - him 'speaking' to Theon through the heart tree of Winterfell, him speaking through the ravens in Stannis' tower - I imagine Bran's POV could reveal a lot of things, mostly what actually occurred in Winterfell following Theon and Jeyne's escape (via the heart tree Bran should be able to see everything occurring in the castle), but possibly also what happened after Jon's stabbing and is happening in Stannis' iscamp.

The Theon chapter indicated that some sort of sacrificing event is going to take place on the weirwood isle at the lake - if we assume this chapter is taking place before the Battle of the Ice, then the chapter may also give away Bran's view/policy regarding Stannis (i.e. whether he is intending to help him or not). Finally, Bran may have also have already 'found' Rickon and Osha on Skagos, as he clearly would also have overheard Davos' conversation with Lord Wyman. Learning where Rickon approximately was could have resulted in Bran reaching out to him/the Skagosi, preparing them for Davos' arrival.

Not to mention that an additional Bran chapter would also most likely give us additional glimpses of the past via visions, possibly on Rhaegar/Lyanna/Jon, or other things connected to Robert's Rebellion. But he could also have begun investigating the Others and what occurred during the Long Night/the War for the Dawn or remembering what Bloodraven had shown him about 'the heart of winter' in his dream in AGoT.

I too, thought that the last Bran chapter may be key in removing some of the mystery around the ending of ADWD, though it may be Bran is mostly concerned with Jon. He's never shown much thought for Stannis before, and I dont see him helping the Red God any, since Mel likes to burn Weirwoods. Seriously though, this book ended on so many cliffhangers........

| :

| :

| :

| :

| :( >--<

|

Bran's lost chapter, too, may also have involved Rickon. But, we have not had a POV from him or Osha yet, so he may have just gotten a brief mention that Davos had found him in a Bran chapter.

So, there was originally another Jon Snow chapter that was cut also? As in Jon survived the stabbing? Or am I reading that wrong? Because it appears these three chapters were supposed to be in between Dany's last and the Epilogue.

I thought so too, but Lady_Gwyn clarified that the missing Jon chapters correspond to Jon XI, XII and XIII of ADWD.

starwalker,

Bran must concern himself with Stannis in some fashion, as he obviously wants Stannis to get Theon on the island. There are pretty strong clues that Bran will intervene in the coming battle on Stannis' side (one is Asha remembering that the greenseers of old apparently could use trees in battle, and then we learn from TWoIaF that they also used animals in battle), although I'm not sure whether Theon will be sacrificed to Bran or pardoned by him (he could really intend both with his messages via the ravens).

Another factor is that Bran should know what's going on with the Boltons/Freys, and that they have to go to avenge Robb as well as to ensure that somebody in the North will support the NW/oppose the Others. And he also should know that Davos is about to return Rickon, which could suggests that he would support Davos' side (i.e. Stannis). But I agree that Bran will have to say something about the burning of the godswood of Storm's End...

Another factor is that Bran should know what's going on with the Boltons/Freys, and that they have to go to avenge Robb as well as to ensure that somebody in the North will support the NW/oppose the Others.

I am not convinced Bran "knows", much.

I think he has feelings, or senses something is off, but the little guy has been traveling for a pretty long time with little interaction from the outside world.

I am not convinced Bran "knows", much.

I think he has feelings, or senses something is off, but the little guy has been traveling for a pretty long time with little interaction from the outside world.

Also, just because he "sees" things through the trees doesn't mean that he understands what is happening. Like the scene where he sees the boy and girl playing around the Winterfell godswood (sorry, I don't remember that one very well myself) -- he can see it but he doesn't automatically know who he is looking at or the context of the scene. I guess what I'm trying to say is, 'all-seeing' isn't the same as 'all-knowing'.

Jojen is another unfortunate TWOW spoiler from the show.

Not necessarily. The show might have just deviated from the books here.

Also, just because he "sees" things through the trees doesn't mean that he understands what is happening. Like the scene where he sees the boy and girl playing around the Winterfell godswood (sorry, I don't remember that one very well myself) -- he can see it but he doesn't automatically know who he is looking at or the context of the scene. I guess what I'm trying to say is, 'all-seeing' isn't the same as 'all-knowing'.

That's much more fun for the reader imo.

Maybe this chapter was a sequel of Bran's powers evolvement that we saw in Bran III in DWD.Bran has already appeared to Jon(Jon VII,COK),Theon(A ghost in Winterfell,DWD) and Arya(Mercy,WOW).Maybe in this chapter we see theses interactions from Bran's POV,who starts to control his powers and search for his family and what happened to them.

Bran must concern himself with Stannis in some fashion, as he obviously wants Stannis to get Theon on the island.

What would be Bran's motivations to do that? I must admit I'm a little confused as to why he would be so interested in Theon, especially in the sample chapter through the ravens.

I think Hodor is a special case for warging... even a weakened Theon (who's not quite as weak as he was, considering his latest actions) probably has a much "stronger" mind than Hodor.

Yeah. Hodor is mentally ill and very simple minded, and Theon is slowly letting go of Reek. Even Varamyr couldn't warg into a proper person (Thistle).

Archived