Like it or not: These are the top 5 misunderstood characters

House Obama

1. Walder Frey, Lord of the Crossing – Lord Walder arrived late at the Twin, yes, he should had come earlier because his liege lord commanded him to. However, if we bypass this incident and speed to TWOFK (The War of Five Kings), he was loyal during it. In fact, you can make a very strong argument suppor6ing his decision to kill Robb Stark. The King in the North broke his oath, before the Lord of the Crossing did. Plus, Robb’s actions, which were dumb, were leading to the North’s defeat, and possibly the stripping of Walder’s castle… the reason most reader hate Walder Frey is because he killed Robb, who is one of the favorite characters of readers and show watchers… Here’s a very in depth thread on why Walder Frey is one of the most misunderstood characters:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118819-the-misunderstood-lord-walder-frey-he-shouldve-killed-robb/

2. Theon Greyjoy/Reek – Theon is unfairly viewed as a turncloak because he attacked the North. However, people fail to realize that Theon was born at Pyke, and his father was his lord and king. When Robb foolishly sent him to Pyke, he gave The Prince of Winterfell the chance to side with his REAL family. Many fans think believe Theon should have never sided with his family because the Stark treated his kindly. Though, they seem to forget that Ned and his family reminded him on various occasions that he was not a true Stark. Theon was a hostage! And he did the right thing by attacking the North because his father was his king, and he declared the Iron Islands independent. Keep in mind that Robb wanted dominion over the Iron Islands too, remember, Theon said to his father that Robb would give him his crown if he swear fealty to him. House Greyjoy “Do Not Sow”, so his father saw the opportunity to weaken Robb’s kingdom by pillaging it, and Theon came up with a masterful plan and seized it… Here’s a thread that shows why Theon is unfairly judge:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/122842-gtfoh-theons-actions- in-the-books-are-brave-not-arrogant/

3. Tywin Lannister – I know I am going to hear, “Tywin is the most evil character in the series,” or “Tywin killed the Stark, he’s bad,” but in reality, he isn’t. Tywin Lannister was the sole reason why the seven kingdoms were together, during the reign of Mad King Aerys. Tywin Lannister almost singlehandedly restored the prestige image of House Lannister from the dirt, while his father, Tytos Lannister ruled. He also did not believe Joffrey was a bastard of incest, along with many other lords, so you cannot accuse him of opening backing a false king, Joffrey Baratheon. Tywin Lannister is a totalitarian, which means that he rule for everyone’s well-being, not his own. This also means that Tywin would never break an oath that can be detrimental to his family and kingdom, like Robb Stark. Tywin Lannister is also a realist, and very pragmatic in his political and war ways. If feeding prisoners became too much of a burden, he would let them starve or send them to the Wall. Also, Tywin has been shown to be merciful because he allowed Allister Thorne to join the NW, instead of getting hang, and he instructed Joffrey that the Iron Throne shouldn’t attack Robb’s bannermen any longer because Robb as killed. Tywin is completely misunderstood.

4. Petyr Baelish (Lord Regent of the Vale & Lord Paramount of the Riverlands) – Baelish gets hate because he betrayed Ned, but to his credit, he is a true from “Rags to riches” type story. Baelish has struggled to get to his status now, and he did so through his own wits. Petyr is a hard worker and business, evidence by being raised to Master of Coins. He has always been spat down upon because of his low-birth, and he realized that the only way to advance in Westeros in through cunning. This works well for Baelish because he has a certain high cunning. This is the man who singlehandedly started the TWOFK by himself. And he is currently scheming from the Vale, and its effects are showing in Kings Landing. Please don’t knock the man for trying to advance himself in the world!

5. Grand Maester Pycelle – He helped saved KL by persuading the king to open the gates. After the gates were opened, Tywin’s forces sacked the city, and helped secure Robert’s throne. He is not a sycophant as many readers believe because during AFFC, he repeatedly warns Cersei of hers actions. Cersei, being her usual stubborn self, ignored all his Wise counsel, and it leads to hers downfall. He was chosen Grand Maester for a reason.

Does any member agree with my stance on these characters?

No.

I'll just briefly say that you seem to be under impression that people hate these 5 characters because they're opposed to fan favourites Starks. In fact, people hate them because each one of them is scumbag of highest callibre (okay, with the probable exception of Theon). Many of these are wanton murderers or murder condoners, rape condoners and/or Machievallian figures who have no problems with thousands of dead in it benefits them.

I never saw anyone who can give legit information as to why Twin is evil. Everyone I discuss this with eventually come to the realization that he’s not. I even made other reconginze how Bad A** he actually is.

I laughed, but you don't see how any of these characters are misunderstood?

Only Theon is misunderstood but only he misunderstands himself all the time until Ramsay.You mistake others based on the amount of hate they recieve.Walder s an opportunitist, Tywin a rapist, LF a mass murderer, Pycell is Tywins right hand.

Hold up! Hoster Tully was an opportunist when he made Jon Arryn and Ned marry one of his daughters before rebelling against Aerys, but nobody talks about that.

Also, how is Tywin a rapist? Please refresh my memory. And Pycelle, believe it or not, do the right thing for the realm.

I don't think Joffrey is as a psychotic as people believe. I think a lot of it has to do with how 20-year-old JG plays him on the show, but in the book there is no torture/murder of whores, and the Sansa beatings, while brutal, would not be beyond the scope of many 13-year-old boys given unlimited power over life and death and zero accountability.

So I'm not saying Joff isn't crazy, but that given his upbringing he's probably no crazier than a lot of 13 year old boys. I love my son dearly (14) but I shudder to think what he would be like if he were a medieval king.

Ramsey, however, is clearly a sociopath.

1/5

Only Theon, in my opinion

Okay, I'll give you Pycelle, but not for the reasons you mention. I don't think his true loyalty lied with House Lannister or Tywin, but with the Citadel. It was only that they had the same enemies

But Tywin, LF, and Walder are just petty, resentful dicks with a "woe is me" attitude. "All the nobles look down on me, Hoster Tully never respected me, Aerys chose Elia over Cersei" Oh, cry me a fucking river!

Hold up! Hoster Tully was an opportunist when he made Jon Arryn and Ned marry one of his daughters before rebelling against Aerys, but nobody talks about that.

Also, how is Tywin a rapist? Please refresh my memory. And Pycelle, believe it or not, do the right thing for the realm.

Well he did order the gang rape of his son's wife.

"Misunderstood" is really the wrong word here, all of these characters are utterly unredeemable scumbags - with the possible exception of Theon. I mean, I'm not really a fan of his, but he's certainly not unredeemable, I don't think.

Walder Frey especially has not a single redeeming quality. He's just this vicious, bitter, greedy asshole, who doesn't seem to care about anything, really. In what way is he misunderstood? I mean, yes, he had his reasons or wanting Robb dead, I get that - but savagely killing him while he is protected by guest right, and also murdering his mom, his pet and his entire army AND then desecrating their corpses? Yes. Poor Walder Frey, he's so misunderstood.

I don't think Joffrey is as a psychotic as people believe. I think a lot of it has to do with how 20-year-old JG plays him on the show, but in the book there is no torture/murder of whores, and the Sansa beatings, while brutal, would not be beyond the scope of many 13-year-old boys given unlimited power over life and death and zero accountability.

So I'm not saying Joff isn't crazy, but that given his upbringing he's probably no crazier than a lot of 13 year old boys. I love my son dearly (14) but I shudder to think what he would be like if he were a medieval king.

Ramsey, however, is clearly a sociopath.

I agree. The show went out of their way to make Joffrey seems more evil than he truly is. For example, in the book, Cersei ordered the death of Robert’s bastards, but the show made Joffrey responsible.

1/5

Only Theon, in my opinion

Okay, I'll give you Pycelle, but not for the reasons you mention. I don't think his true loyalty lied with House Lannister or Tywin, but with the Citadel. It was only that they had the same enemies

But Tywin, LF, and Walder are just petty, resentful dicks with a "woe is me" attitude. "All the nobles look down on me, Hoster Tully never respected me, Aerys chose Elia over Cersei" Oh, cry me a fucking river!

You’d be surprise how many readers think Theon is an oathbreaker and traitor, even though he is from Pyke. And Walder kept his oath, but Robb broke his… so in his own way, Walder has more honor than poor old dead Robb.

Well he did order the gang rape of his son's wife.

Well, I forgot about the gang raped, but his good overweigh his bad. He actually though Tyrion’s wife was a whore who as trying to steal his money, so he did not do it out of spite.

Tywin isn't evil?If my disfigured son would found love I wouldn't order my garrison to gangrape her(while I can't find even one highborn to marry him), I think that is the definition of evil.

Marrying Robb isn't what I am talking about.He finds an opening when Robb breaks the deal and goes around killing all his bannerman and takes them captive for ransom or blackmail.Pycell was doing what was best for the realm?Let me ask you if Robert knew about twincest only Lannisters would die, when things got messy nearly 4 times the men Lannisters had died.

If you want more evidince for Tywin being bad look Targeryan kids up if that doesn't satisfy you, you can also look to Tyrion if that is not enough sending Mountain to rape, kill must be enough.

Archived