Season 4 Complete Set Reminder

Westeros

So let me ask this...listened to the commentary on episode 6, with the fight at the dreadfort...they said Asha rana way because she could either die in the kennels for nothing(because she can tell there is nothing left of Theon) or go back to the islands as the heir to that throne(which may imply no kingsmoot).

But they also said that the sex between Ramsay and Myranda was originally just a sex scene but became part of the montage for Asha's dialogue and rah rah speech during editing. So that blood all over him must have been something that maybe happened to Myranda? Is she dead or not?

more like they just thought they could get the audience more pumped or make it more intense by mixing in a sex scene with a loud dialogue at the same time. typical D&D, typical HBO.

plus myranda is confirmed for season 5

So let me ask this...listened to the commentary on episode 6, with the fight at the dreadfort...they said Asha rana way because she could either die in the kennels for nothing(because she can tell there is nothing left of Theon) or go back to the islands as the heir to that throne(which may imply no kingsmoot).

But they also said that the sex between Ramsay and Myranda was originally just a sex scene but became part of the montage for Asha's dialogue and rah rah speech during editing. So that blood all over him must have been something that maybe happened to Myranda? Is she dead or not?

As far as I am concerned they just screwed up. The thing about the blood streaks and Ramsay's remark about "This is turning into a lovely evening" are just flat unexplained, they may hide the real sequence until the series is over.

I kept thinking what if Yara and crew had of killed Ramsay and crew, probably a more likely outcome!

Yes, that comment about Asha going back to the Iron Islands definitely implied she'll be up to something with the throne next season (or later). I'd still be very surprised if there's a Kingsmoot at all (it's way too much backstory for a plot function that can be resolved by 30 seconds of exposition), but I wouldn't be surprised if Asha hears of Balon's death, races back to take the throne, and learns that Euron (or a Euron/Victarion mix) has already seized it.

On Ramsay/Myranda: did they say just a sex scene? I remember it being described as initially a separate scene that they then decided to mix in. My guess is that they were killing Myranda off but then decided not to, perhaps because they decided the show was overdoing violence against women as a trope to prove bad guys are bad, or (more likely I think) because they decided to keep Myranda around as a useful companion for Ramsay.

That scene definitely has its problems - they presumably are at the Dreadfort, even though Roose sent Ramsay off to Moat Cailin several episodes earlier, and Roose doesn't seem to be present. I suspect the Ironborn attack was supposed to take place before Roose even got back to the Dreadfort.

Anyway, Myranda is pretty much confirmed for Season 5, right? So she's not dead, not yet.

I'm watching them all now (started last night) and then I'll be going through all the special features. But one thing of note: I got a Lannister Gold Military Edition coin with my blu ray copy when I bought it on base. I've always pre-ordered my blu rays from Amazon. Didn't know I'd get these coins for buying them on base. Guess I missed out on a Stark coin from the second season and I'm not sure what the 1st and 3rd seasons were. Probably Baratheon and Targaryen. I think Targ was the 3rd season for sure.

Yes, that comment about Asha going back to the Iron Islands definitely implied she'll be up to something with the throne next season (or later). I'd still be very surprised if there's a Kingsmoot at all (it's way too much backstory for a plot function that can be resolved by 30 seconds of exposition), but I wouldn't be surprised if Asha hears of Balon's death, races back to take the throne, and learns that Euron (or a Euron/Victarion mix) has already seized it.

On Ramsay/Myranda: did they say just a sex scene? I remember it being described as initially a separate scene that they then decided to mix in. My guess is that they were killing Myranda off but then decided not to, perhaps because they decided the show was overdoing violence against women as a trope to prove bad guys are bad, or (more likely I think) because they decided to keep Myranda around as a useful companion for Ramsay.

That scene definitely has its problems - they presumably are at the Dreadfort, even though Roose sent Ramsay off to Moat Cailin several episodes earlier, and Roose doesn't seem to be present. I suspect the Ironborn attack was supposed to take place before Roose even got back to the Dreadfort.

Anyway, Myranda is pretty much confirmed for Season 5, right? So she's not dead, not yet.

It may have been Ramsay, Myranda and third party as we had early in season 4.

Then they decided that a BDSM scene , after the controversy in E3 was not another button they wanted to push.

All in the can, and maybe edited after the brouhaha with E3.

That's why it looks like a jumble jump cut with Ramsay's screwy appearance and dialog.

I am betting Iwan Rheon and Gemma Whelan are sworn to silence in this issue.

The blood on Ramsay was from the Ironborn he was fighting before he got to the kennels. You can hear fighting going on outside before he and his goons barge in. Maybe the Ramsay-Myranda thing was supposed to have been a scene unto itself apart from the Yara-and-Ironbborn montage but people are reading too much into this. If things were cut down, it was probably for the reason that they normally are in TV and movies, to save time.

The blood on Ramsay was from the Ironborn he was fighting before he got to the kennels. You can hear fighting going on outside before he and his goons barge in. Maybe the Ramsay-Myranda thing was supposed to have been a scene unto itself apart from the Yara-and-Ironbborn montage but people are reading too much into this. If things were cut down, it was probably for the reason that they normally are in TV and movies, to save time.

Hearing sounds , it's hard for me to tell they are fighting, is ambiguous.

I can't infer that's what went on. Nothing explicit about what Ramsay was doing before that scene n the kennel , no matter how much time they want to save.

To my eye the edit is just plain goofy and Ramsay's dialog implies something going on , not necessary fighting.

Maybe, but there had to be some kind of reason for the Ramsay-Myranda scene - it wouldn't have just about been them having sex. (To which some reply, "You haven't watched the show much, have you?") Presumably there was a character beat for Ramsay or, more likely I think, Theon - maybe an echo of the earlier Tansy scene - which would also explain why it was considered disposable. And I really think the Asha scene was initially supposed to take place before Roose returned.

It's certainly not a big deal, but remember that Ramsay is still in the Dreadfort in Episode 6, while Locke - who was sent on his mission at the same time as Ramsay, back in Episode 2 - has already died north of the Wall, in the previous episode. Something was significantly changed about that part of the story.

People have wondered about the relative paucity of deleted scenes, and I think this kind of thing is one reason. There are probably very few "independent" scenes that wind up on the cutting room floor. Alternate takes, or shortened scenes, yeah - there's lots of that cut out. But weren't they short on material back in Season One, and hence lots of dialogue-in-sparse-rooms scenes? They simply don't have the extra material to cut out.

As I've said before, I really really hope there's a tell-all book about the writing process that appears after this is all over. Not so much for gossip or scandal, but just because I'm very curious about why they've made the decisions they've made. For Battlestar Galactica, Ronald Moore did a great job of explaining a lot of that on the commentaries, but thus far the Game of Thrones commentaries have been lacking in that regard.

People have wondered about the relative paucity of deleted scenes, and I think this kind of thing is one reason. There are probably very few "independent" scenes that wind up on the cutting room floor. Alternate takes, or shortened scenes, yeah - there's lots of that cut out. But weren't they short on material back in Season One, and hence lots of dialogue-in-sparse-rooms scenes? They simply don't have the extra material to cut out.

I think for a TV series they are efficient in the number of takes the do on a scene.

I do think there are various versions of scenes , but that would be true of movies too, even in Director Cuts not all deleted material is used or even ever seen.

I do think that there is footage shot for GOT that is never used and that really there are more than a few deleted scenes , considering we have just recently seen a longer blooper reel than is on the DVD I think there is even more bloopers stuff, but HBO , for whatever reason, is always parsimonious about 'extras' , on the DVDs, just their mode of operation.

Maybe, but there had to be some kind of reason for the Ramsay-Myranda scene - it wouldn't have just about been them having sex. (To which some reply, "You haven't watched the show much, have you?") Presumably there was a character beat for Ramsay or, more likely I think, Theon - maybe an echo of the earlier Tansy scene - which would also explain why it was considered disposable. And I really think the Asha scene was initially supposed to take place before Roose returned.

It's certainly not a big deal, but remember that Ramsay is still in the Dreadfort in Episode 6, while Locke - who was sent on his mission at the same time as Ramsay, back in Episode 2 - has already died north of the Wall, in the previous episode. Something was significantly changed about that part of the story.

As I've said before, I really really hope there's a tell-all book about the writing process that appears after this is all over. Not so much for gossip or scandal, but just because I'm very curious about why they've made the decisions they've made. For Battlestar Galactica, Ronald Moore did a great job of explaining a lot of that on the commentaries, but thus far the Game of Thrones commentaries have been lacking in that regard.

Yep, imo the GOT commentaries are usually pretty dull or not very informative. Some are downright annoying(mostly arya with sansa). I did like listening to Michelle and Richard for ep 9 last season. The fact they were crying showed me how much they invested into their story and characters. Even Pedro was kind of annoying, not taking anything serious or dishing out anything interesting.

Yep, imo the GOT commentaries are usually pretty dull or not very informative. Some are downright annoying(mostly arya with sansa). I did like listening to Michelle and Richard for ep 9 last season. The fact they were crying showed me how much they invested into their story and characters. Even Pedro was kind of annoying, not taking anything serious or dishing out anything interesting.

They really need to split up Sophie and Maisie. Their commentary was pretty much unlistenable.

They really needed Isaac there, but they said he couldn't make it. There were a couple of interesting bits, but the rest was just silliness. I would have liked to hear Maisie on the commentary with Rory, that would have been good.

Also I wish they'd give GRRM his own commentary again, so he could just ramble on about the story.

Rory and Maisie would have been great. I think Sophie and Aiden would have been great as well. You know actually have them comment on an episode with the person they spend the majority of time filming with througout the season.

I don't know if George needs an entire episode to himself but putting him on with three others seemed a waste to me.

Because they are two teenagers.

#hater #killjoy

They are lovely to listen to, not useful if you want to know anything at all about the show. Problem is also that they picked the least offensive episode for the underage girls and they were barely in it. They didnt have much to say. But they do appreciate some good Jon Snow hair billowing in the wind.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched episode 2 and interestingly in the Dragonstone scenes Selyse says "when this castle was under siege" as opposed to "when Storms end was under siege which" is what we got on tv. I checked the scene on youtube and I could actually tell the change was last minute but clearly they forgot to do the same for the dvd release :(. This explains why it was written Stannis shot the seagul on a beach, that always confused me.

I'm guessing that wasn't a GRRM written scene because getting the castle wrong would have been a silly mistake for him to make.

Archived