iron throne speaks

Renly Gay?

27 posts in this topic

[MOD]

Folks,

A gentle reminder that this is a thread for discussion of the books to a point where people are "still reading" ACOK.

Discussion of the show is not permitted here. Discussion of anything after ACOK must be posted in spoiler tags.

As a result, a series of posts have been deleted.

[/MOD]

I believe GRRM that it was a coincidence, and I'm really relieved because of it - because using something that's specifically a 21st century cultural thing to show that a character in a quasi-medieval universe is homosexual, would be really, really stupid and cheesy.

It's possible to figure out based on the books that Renly is homosexual because of clues that he and Loras were lovers, and that he was not sexually interested in women.

You may also like: e Aadhar Card

Their were a good amount of hints, even in the first book. While I not a big fan of Renly(mostly  for his lack of love for family and for agreeing with an plot to killed a  pregnant Dany and her unborn baby) , his relationship with Loras was never an issue with me. 

This honestly really surprised me. If there were hints, I picked up on absolutely none of them. I suppose that I wasn't paying attention to the Knight of Flowers in those scenes; with so many knights running around, he seemed more like a background character and I didn't even really commit his name to memory, so things like who stayed to pray with Renly went over my head.

Was Renly's wife realy still a maid? As I recall it was definitely said that she was when she married Renly, but not that she still was now that they were married. And how would anyone know that, anyway? [EDIT: I hadn't read that part of the story yet. :blush:]

Actually, is there a list of the "hints" by chapter that I could see? Because now I'm interested. And it's making me wonder what other important things I missed in my rush to learn how the political struggles would turn out.

Edited by Pseudodemetrius

Yes he is....it was also reported to Tyrion that Loras was filled with rage when he saw the Kings body,and slew three guards....they must be lovers.

@False Aegon

I don't have a list but here are a few that came to mind. Only one of them is in ACoK, the other two are from ASoS.

First, when Stannis and Renly parley, Renly brings up Margaery:

Renly - You'll be pleased to know she came to me a maid

Stannis - In your bed she'll die like one

Second, when Tyrion comments that he can never marry as a Kingsguard, Loras comments:

'When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.

Third, at a moment when Jaime gets angry at Loras:

Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I'll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found.

Posted (edited)

On 1/14/2015 at 7:16 PM, Lord of the Dreadfort said:

yes, he's gay

it's kinda obvious

he's so gay. that's why margaegry was a virgin. flaming homosexual. 

Edited by manchester_babe