Why do we love Jaime Lannister so much?

Robb_Warged

Who is we? He is not universally loved by any means. I just enjoy his POV because he is a smart ass.

I don't love Jaime. He's had one great moment in the series; the only time I believe he performed a truly unselfish act - going back and jumping into the bear pit to save Brienne. I don't see much evidence of redemption, though he does regret certain past actions. However, his chapters are somewhat amusing to read.

While I mostly agree with this, where is the evidence that Jaime is trying to make Cersei happy? Seriously, where?

In their scenes together, he spends most of his time brushing off her concerns as hysteria and then proceeding to grope her. How is that making her happy? What did his cowardly murder of Jory, etc have to do with making Cersei happy? In fact, he subsequently ran from the city because he wanted to fight. Because he likes fighting. Nothing to do with Cersei.

prehand Jaime did stuff because he felt like it, the best thing that could be said of him is that he typically didn't bother to think about how bad somethine he was doing was before he did it (not sure that's better than careful consideration).

There is plenty of evidence in the books. Like her favor to maim Arya. Or when she remembers how she found out that Robert cheats on her. Jaime just asked if she wants to kill him, and he would have done it she said yes. For all those years Jaime just did whatever she wanted him to do. It also can be seen how she started to behave when Jaime started to express his own opinion when he returned to KL. He instantly became unreliable, and stopped being her second half.

And he ran from the city not because he wanted to fight. As apart from Cersei, there is also Tyrion, for whom Jaime would do anything to save him. And it's not like he consciously ran away from danger or something leaving Cersei behind to this danger.

I'll get you some quotes. He says some incredibly awful, degrading stuff about her, especially in that first chapter. Stay tuned.

No need, I have a book myself. Here is every mention of Cersei in Jaime's first chapter:

• An east wind blew through his tangled hair, as soft and fragrant as Cersei's fingers.

• He amused himself by picturing [brienne] in one of Cersei's silken gowns in place of her studded leather jerkin.

• All Jaime had wanted was an hour alone with Cersei. Their journey north had been one long torment; seeing her every day, unable to touch her, knowing that Robert stumbled drunkenly into her bed every night in that great creaking wheelhouse. Tyrion had done his best to keep him in a good humor, but it had not been enough. "You will be courteous as concerns Cersei, wench," he warned her.

• Jaime had come to rue heaving Brandon Stark out that window. Cersei had given him no end of grief afterward, when the boy refused to die.

• "Let Robert do as he pleases. I'll go to war with him if I must. The War for Cersei's Cunt, the singers will call it." "Jaime, let go of me!" she raged, struggling to rise. Instead, he had kissed her. For a moment she resisted, but then her mouth opened under his. He remembered the taste of wine and cloves on her tongue. She gave a shudder. His hand went to her bodice and yanked, tearing the silk so her breasts spilled free, and for a time the Stark boy had been forgotten.

• I don't look as much like Cersei this way. She'll hate that.

• Jaime left brothels and whores to his brother Tyrion; Cersei was the only woman he had ever wanted.

In Jaime's first chapter, he thinks of Cersei seven times. Where is this "incredibly awful, degrading stuff" you mentioned before?

Only one of these thoughts had anything to do with sex: his memory of teasing her about the War for Cersei's Cunt, after which they had sex. It does seem to be teasing meant to rile her up, not something that Jaime truly believes. And of the sex they had after, he doesn't remember her cunt or her breasts, but the taste of wine and cloves on her tongue, which is something a man would remember of a woman he loved, not of a woman he only regarded as a "hole to fuck."

Jaime is in top 4 of 99% of popularity polls, and many times even higher. Most people certainly do love Jaime.

Which poll is this? You are telling me that Jamie is more popular than Jon, Tyrion, Dany and Arya? I doubt it. I dont mind the guy but those characters are probably the most popular and maybe even a few more higher than Jamie. Jamie is a character that people either like or hate, if you mean one of the more interesting characters than he definitely is.

Which poll is this? You are telling me that Jamie is more popular than Jon, Tyrion, Dany and Arya? I doubt it. I dont mind the guy but those characters are probably the most popular and maybe even a few more higher than Jamie. Jamie is a character that people either like or hate, if you mean one of the more interesting characters than he definitely is.

You can search for the polls on this site, or go to tower of hand site poll or search for polls in google if you like. Obviously I mean overall poll results and not individual polls. And in overall results he is usually above Dany, that's why I've said top 4, although sometimes he is higher (on the recent poll between Lannisters on this site, as far as I remember, he was at the top spot, overtaking Tyrion). Surely, many people hate him. But much more love him.

• 5 months later...

I hated him at the start but after seeing his character growth he did appeal to me as a character.. especially after hearing about his time as a KG;

• Where he realized on his first day that it wasn't his skill that earned him the cloak but a chance at a slight to his father.
  • Where he had to stand guard and listen to the Queen be raped.
  • Watch the burning of Rickard and Brandon Strangle himself.
  • Ordered to kill his own father and kill the king to save a City that reviles him.

I think a lot of the appeal with Jaime is that we are first introduced to him as this hothead, arrogant, man loyal to only the Lannisters. When he is taken prisoner and loses his hand, he is humbled a bit and we start to see him change into someone with a better perspective. He realized the error of his ways and in my opinion, became a better person.

My favorite is his inner monologue while he is standing vigil at his father's funeral. GRRM really lets you get into his head, and it's very satisfying to read his chapters.

Everyone always talks about Jaime's redemption arc. But honestly I haven't seen it. Sends brienne alone on a wild goose chase. Threatens Edmure to send his child on a trebuchet( I know people are going to say he had to say that so Edmure would yield peacefully, but Edmure knows Lannisters don't make idle threats) when Genna says she's sorry for his loss he says he has a gold hand now. She means Tywin. He thinks he'd rather have his hand back rather than his son- for those who say pushing Bran out the window to protect his children. Responsible for Jory's death pretty much every other tragedy that had befallen Westeros. He never stands up to Cersei. He only starts to detach from her when he finds out she wad cheating on him. I'll like him when he kills Cersei

Everyone always talks about Jaime's redemption arc. But honestly I haven't seen it. Sends brienne alone on a wild goose chase. Threatens Edmure to send his child on a trebuchet( I know people are going to say he had to say that so Edmure would yield peacefully, but Edmure knows Lannisters don't make idle threats) when Genna says she's sorry for his loss he says he has a gold hand now. She means Tywin. He thinks he'd rather have his hand back rather than his son- for those who say pushing Bran out the window to protect his children. Responsible for Jory's death pretty much every other tragedy that had befallen Westeros. He never stands up to Cersei. He only starts to detach from her when he finds out she wad cheating on him. I'll like him when he kills Cersei

As you may be aware of free will does still exist in Westeros, and Jaime has not replaced that with his own will, thus he is not responsible for what others do.

Jaime is far from my favorite but he is a great character. Yes, he is morally repugnant but he really does try to become a better man. After the loss of his hand he is humbled and actually does a lot of good. He's kind of funny too.

I definitely like Jaime more now than when the series started.

Archived