Why Drogo is the undisputed heavy weight champ

Griffin's Roost

I like to read the lists of who people think are the best fighters. while there is textual evidence to support some claims. a lot is left up to personal opinion. I have one problem though. I think every list should automatically have Drogo as number one. I don't think this is opinion. now when I say he is the best, I don't mean that he would win any fight. he might still lose because he does not wear armor etc. but if we are talking fighting prowess, than Drogo hands down.

lets think for a minute.

1. Drogo is the greatest and most feared fighter, of a huge nation which is built upon fighting. this isn't the best comparison. but its like if Lebron is the best basketball player in America, I don't even have to check the rest of the world. we are the best at producing basketball players. the same can be said for Dothraki. all the do is fight and worship the best figher. so if they are saying this is our best. odds are he is everyones best.

2. the man is in the heart of every battle, without armor, and has never lost, ever. I believe this is why he died of the infection. I think GRRM was trying to show this guy is basically indestructible. and it was poetic that he died from something so dumb.

3. he comes from almost a never ending lineague of fighters. he is bred to be the best

theres more but I think these are best proofs.

tell me what you think. but im curious as to what makes people think Drogo is not the best.

I honestly was very surprised to hear it was a unanimously held idea. I thought the book was trying to paint that picture many times

Ok, you can say without armor he is the best. But, that is comparing apples to oranges I think. I am no expert in sword fighting by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been under the impression that when armor is involved, it is necessary to change one's sword fighting technique. Since most warriors in Westeros do wear armor, most swordsman there are probably going to fight a bit differently than somebody that typically faces unarmored opponents.

Also, there are certainly quite a few individuals in Westeros that have Drogo's raw physical talents. Finally, it's not like Westeros is a society of pacifist.

dude. he was fighting another Khal. it might be that guy was a top 3 fighter in the whole world as well. and all he did was give him a cut. I said indestructible not untouchable. difference being death. Drogo should have healed percectly but he got bad luck bc he didn't take care of the would. otherwise it would be like nothing happened

also do you really believe a Khal is not a sufficiently skilled opponent?

he is probably an elite opponent at least

He's a tremendous athelete but Dothariki aren't really elite warriors. They are elite rapists and pillagers.

Drogo went undefeated against mostly poorly armed or unarmed "peasant" types.

He'd get stuffed by pretty much any armored Knight. And 2 drogos probably couldn't win a 2v1 on an armored Jamie

dude. he was fighting another Khal. it might be that guy was a top 3 fighter in the whole world as well. and all he did was give him a cut. I said indestructible not untouchable. difference being death. Drogo should have healed percectly but he got bad luck bc he didn't take care of the would. otherwise it would be like nothing happened

also do you really believe a Khal is not a sufficiently skilled opponent?

he is probably an elite opponent at least

We have no knowledge on the other khal so don't make any assumptions. A Khal is probably a skilled opponent but we have no idea how skilled.

a Khal is a leader of men born and raised to fight. live fighting, eat fighting, breathe fighting. and this dude is feared by these kind of men.

how can this guy not be amazing?

I forgot a huge proof to this idea

its in the first book. Jorah says he used to think a Dothraki invasion to Westeros would be a joke. now he says he thinks it would be very serious after watching them fight.

think about this. they have no armor. no battle plans. and don't listen to anyone. these are the first three things you need going into a battle. they lack this and Jorah still thinks they would put up a fight.

I completely agree with others. Any armoured competent knight could beat him quite easily. Let's assume he is using an arakh, as he normally would in a fight. They aren't made to go through steel plate armour, and they won't.

*Drogo swings blade*

*Blade gets caught in Knight's breastplate*

*Knight opens Drogo head to toes as he pulls his blade out of the steel*

Sure, he could always swing for those un-armoured parts, but any half-decent knight knows where he is vulnerable, and knows how to defend those points.

Now let's assume that said Knights were not wearing armour, Drogo would cut them into little pieces. But let's be seriously, what Knight doesn't were armour when he has to fight? A stupid Knight, that's who. Armour was made to keep people alive, what's the point in not wearing it?

...and then he fights somebody wearing armor

At some point, he would have done so already. The Dothraki do not wear armour, but the rest of Essos does. Sellswords, city guards, Unsullied, etc. - fight enough battles and eventually you'll have fought every kind of foe. He will have fought and killed armoured men (some of which would be very skilled in their own right), not just Dothraki.

Drogo's fighting abilities and physical prowesses are commandable (if not why this speech about his hair ?). However he lacks "techniques", and isn't well aquainted with strategy, armors, shields, and westerossi fighting styles. I guess Braavossi as well. So on a technical point, he is practicaly at the bottom. He is in top physics, but nobody surpasses the Mountain. So that's why I guess Drogo doesn't make most of the lists, he is mostly one aspect, where we have superior members.

At some point, he would have done so already. The Dothraki do not wear armour, but the rest of Essos does. Sellswords, city guards, unsullied, etc. - fight enough battles and eventually you'll have fought every kind of foe. He will have fought and killed armoured men (some of which would be very skilled in their own right), not just Dothraki.

When was last time the Dothraki got into a major engagement with a city in Essos? I don't recall them fighting any in recent history. Maybe I am forgetting something. I thought they just got paid off by the cities of Essos. Right now it would seem the Dothraki's specialty is beating up on the Lhazareen.

Also, I think one could make the case that the quality of warrior in Westeros is much higher than in Essos, excepting the Unsullied.

Drogo is a weak sauce pedophile feeb. He was like the baddest kid playing in a sandbox. You put him on even footing with trained and disciplined fighters and he won't get out of round 2. In general the Dothraki are primitive savages... they got their asses exposed the first and only time they went up against a phalanx. If you want to nominate a GOAT make sure he has more feats to his name than simply terrorizing tribes of goat herders.

Archived