If you were Daenerys, where in Westeros would you make your first landing?

Lord Rupert Connington

• 2 weeks later...

Any reason that she would not stop by Dragonstone first, it's practically a stop on that route.

It isn't really, but I suppose that depends on where your launching point is.

In any case, he's why I think one should not:

1 - Get your army across the ocean with preferably zero stops in between. The element of surprise is important.

If you land on Dragonstone, the mainland will hear about it. By the time you can re-embark your army and land again on the mainland, you may be facing a beachhead that is defended, or worse, a force of warships that can prevent you from doing so. Better to just make one landing unopposed and then devote your ships to supplying you. (Especially if you have Dothraki on board - they will want off those ships ASAP, and are of no use on an island.)

2 - To hell with King's Landing. It is not a primary objective, and honestly, the longer it is fought over by false kings, the worse its ability to defend against you will get. Don't bother threatening the capital until you have created momentum, gained a lot of new supporters and defeated a some enemy armies in the field.

It would probably be in the south somewhere. I would send envoys early on in order to find the much needed support.

Sunspear would probably be a great place to start as far as looking for the support needed. Then again, you're allowing your enemy more time to prepare themselves.

It might be good to gain support in the south while keeping my fleet offshore, moving north as needed until the time draws near.

Dragonstone would be taken first and used as a FOB (forward operating base).

My force would be saved for King's Landing except to gain Dragonstone.

The support from the South would no-doubt have to take many of the lands on the way North.

This is all going to depend on the kind of support that I think Daenerys might be able to gain in the South. I don't know though. There are some major hurdles to get over and I confess I never really gave this much thought.

To be completely honest, I don't think Daenerys can (or will) take the Seven Kingdoms.

You land in King's Landing and rename it... wait for it... Queens Landing. Word will spread and the loyalists will flock

She would only hold it for a few months at most. That still doesn't deal with the problems of Aegon and Stannis. She needs to command a large enough following to hold onto KL and subdue the other claimants.

Dragonstone. It has the historical value for house Targaryen. You are strategically located to blockade the capital. Crownlands are the easiest place to raise Targ loyalist any narrow sea strength not with Stannis, Cracklaw Point, Duskendale. Not to mention potential loyalist within the capital itself.

Dragonstone. It has the historical value for house Targaryen. You are strategically located to blockade the capital. Crownlands are the easiest place to raise Targ loyalist any narrow sea strength not with Stannis, Cracklaw Point, Duskendale. Not to mention potential loyalist within the capital itself.

:agree:

The Graftons and the Mootons are also somewhat nearby.

Dany will need allies to take Westeros. Best case scenario for her would be to form an aliance with a group, and then have them "invite" her to land. Her main problem is that she has no idea what's going on, and has not made contact with any faction. Any landing on the Westerosi mainland would be a blind operation.

So yeah, take Dragonstone first. It would look great symbolically, and would give her a strategically located base. The dragons would like it, too, and that shouldn't be overlooked. She should contact the Vale and the Cracklaw Point lords, but should try to avoid landing in either place, since she could get bottled up too easily. It would be better for her mainland landing to be in the Riverlands, so any Vale forces coming down from the Bloody Gate or Crackclaw Point men emerging from the peninsula can hit her opponents in the flank.

The key point - the Ruby Fords.

The Vale . Daenerys is bringing a huge army with her from Essos. Naval landings are notoriously tricky, as we have seen with the GC (and they were lucky, they should have lost a lot more men), so ideally she needs a port to disembark on. White Harbour is to far removed from the main action, the western harbours (Oldtown and Lannisport) have been ruled out and KL will be firmly in control of Faegon.

This leaves Gulltown. Now the Lords of Gulltown were Targaryen loyalists during the Rebellion, which is already a major pro for a landingspot. The Vale has also remained untouched by war. This has two major advantages. The first being supplies at the ready for her. Her army will consume a lot of feeding and circumstances won't allow a superlong supply train from Volantis. If she lands out in the open in the Riverlands, her army won't have the same acces to food and fodder.

The second advantage is Westerosi allies, Daenerys needs them to augment her army. Since Dorne, the Stormlands and the area around KL will probably be firmly in Faegon's grasp by then, the Vale is her best hope of gaining allies. An added bonus here is the precarious political position. LF is not loved and whoever controls SR controls the Vale (since he's just a boy lord), this creates an interesting opportunity for Dany (plus a parallell to Visenya). Through Tyrion she also has some allies already, the Mountain Clans (especially the Burned Men, who have a history of dragon worship) who could be very effective in case the Vale does rally against her (to attack the enemies in the rear).

The Vale is also a very strong base to take on the rest of Westeros. It's relatively close to KL, it leads into the Riverlands, later on it can be used as a base to go for the North. And once she's settled, it will be hard to dig her out, since in the (not going to happen) case she leaves

The Vale . Daenerys is bringing a huge army with her from Essos. Naval landings are notoriously tricky, as we have seen with the GC (and they were lucky, they should have lost a lot more men), so ideally she needs a port to disembark on. White Harbour is to far removed from the main action, the western harbours (Oldtown and Lannisport) have been ruled out and KL will be firmly in control of Faegon.

This leaves Gulltown. Now the Lords of Gulltown were Targaryen loyalists during the Rebellion, which is already a major pro for a landingspot. The Vale has also remained untouched by war. This has two major advantages. The first being supplies at the ready for her. Her army will consume a lot of feeding and circumstances won't allow a superlong supply train from Volantis. If she lands out in the open in the Riverlands, her army won't have the same acces to food and fodder.

The second advantage is Westerosi allies, Daenerys needs them to augment her army. Since Dorne, the Stormlands and the area around KL will probably be firmly in Faegon's grasp by then, the Vale is her best hope of gaining allies. An added bonus here is the precarious political position. LF is not loved and whoever controls SR controls the Vale (since he's just a boy lord), this creates an interesting opportunity for Dany (plus a parallell to Visenya). Through Tyrion she also has some allies already, the Mountain Clans (especially the Burned Men, who have a history of dragon worship) who could be very effective in case the Vale does rally against her (to attack the enemies in the rear).

The Vale is also a very strong base to take on the rest of Westeros. It's relatively close to KL, it leads into the Riverlands, later on it can be used as a base to go for the North. And once she's settled, it will be hard to dig her out, since in the (not going to happen) case she leaves

I think that Tyrion will negotiate an alliance with Bronze Yohn: both Tyrion and Yohn are Littlefinger's enemies.

King's Landing. Make a statement before others can rally and mobilize against you. Cut the head off the Snake...er...Lion.

It is not a good idea to take the KL while there are many pretenders all around the Realm at strong positions. First of all, KL is a massive burden. There are hundreds of thousands of mouths to be fed and the Gold Cloaks to be paid once you get the KL. One cannot afford to spend gold like this while there are wars to be fought with other pretenders. We also know that the royal treasure is empty and there is not much wealth left to be sacked due to long wars. The power of the IT eroded greatly due to the last residents of the Red Keep.

Just look at Rhaenyra and you will see that taking the KL without the necessary gold while there are still many wars to fight is a one-way ticket to defeat.

It is not a good idea to take the KL while there are many pretenders all around the Realm at strong positions. First of all, KL is a massive burden. There are hundreds of thousands of mouths to be fed and the Gold Cloaks to be paid once you get the KL. One cannot afford to spend gold like this while there are wars to be fought with other pretenders. We also know that the royal treasure is empty and there is not much wealth left to be sacked due to long wars. The power of the IT eroded greatly due to the last residents of the Red Keep.

Just look at Rhaenyra and you will see that taking the KL without the necessary gold while there are still many wars to fight is a one-way ticket to defeat.

Yeah, I don't think attacking KL right away is a good idea. Maybe I am a little too Napoleonish in my thinking, but the real strategic target should always be the destruction of the enemy army. Holding a piece of land or a city means nothing, unless it contributes to that objective.

Same is true for fAegon too. I don't think JonCon will consider taking the KL after defeating theincoming Tyrell army. First of all, he does not have the strength. Second, even if he had the strength to take the KL, it would be suicide for the reasons given above. Instead, it is much better to use the ironborn invasion as a pretext to enter the Reach and fight against the ironborn. Meantime, they will be able to find many chances to get their hands to the resources of the Reach untouched by the wars. After the Reach is secured, next target will be the Casterly Rock.

Archived